PDA

View Full Version : Buying used cars from Interstate

interfooler
15-11-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm looking at buying a used Integra VTiR that I saw on the net. It is everything that I'm looking for. The problem is this guy is in Melbourne and I'm in Adelaide.

Just wanna know if anyone here has had experience buying used car from interstate? Particularly those from Adelaide, I'd like to hear from you. Is there any extra cost such as rego for cars brought in from other states?

Is it worth it if the price is right? The guy has agreed to get RWC for the car at his expense if I'm serious. Flying over to Melbourne is not impossible but I'd prefer doing that only when I've set on purchasing it.

All comments welcome.

Thanks all in advance.

strafe
15-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Is the car registered? Also, make sure there is no money owing on the car, and it's not a written off car, that could be a bit of a hidden cost. Also, you will have to pay stamp duty when registering the car here. If buying from a car yard interstate, you will have to pay the stamp duty there, too. Don't forget number plates and registration, too.

I would advise contacting Transport SA before bringing over the car, just in case I have missed something. A friend of mine has purchased a couple of cars from Victoria with no dramas (private sales).

interfooler
16-11-2008, 09:12 AM
only one reply???

Q_ball
16-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Post in the right section and you may get more answers.

Lounge is for off topic material.

sassy_fit_vtit
17-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Well Firstly start by calling SA Transport www.transport.sa.gov.au/1300 360 067 (interstate callers) 13 10 84 and VicRoads www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/ 13 11 71 to get all the details on what you need to do in terms of transfering rego/ownership.

Well a friend of mine bought a car from Vic and bought it up to QLD, she did not need to do a transfer of rego in Vic, just bought the car up to qld and did a new registration on it with all the normal stuff which comes along with new rego e.g. RWC, new rego fees, Proof of ownership and she only had to pay Stamp Duty once.

If you are buying a car from a dealership it might be worth talking to the dealer about buying it un-registered and paying for your door-to-door transport service to get it to SA to avoid paying stamp duty in VIC for something that you will transfer anyways.

night_wolf
23-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Contact your local transport division firstly and get details about what needs to be done. all you need from the bloke in melbourne is the transfer form filled up because you will have to undergo a completely new resigtration once the car leaves Vic. check how long his rego is and you can MAYBE get some money from the rego once you return the Vic plates but like i said check with vic roads first. (VicRoads www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/)

I bought mine from Syd and had no troubles getting it resgistered. but you might as well come and do a check on the car before you purchase it. make sure the engine is still good. there was a thread posted on buying new cars and what you should be looking out for, you might like to take a look at it so you know what to look for.

Cheers :honda:

mars_panas
01-12-2008, 10:38 AM
hey guys... just bought a car from darwin from a relative of mine... i live in melb and the cars is here now... its still registered till sometime next year under my relos name... but its registered in N.T... the question is, can i still drive it until the registeration has expired and then register it in Vic?

thanks in advance

Rido

trism
01-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Yes you can

mars_panas
01-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks Champ for quick reply +1

sassy_fit_vtit
01-12-2008, 11:18 AM
actually you better check that with vic roads, from memory you have to do a transfer of ownership within 14 days of purchase, and re-registration from moving states within 14days of finding a fixed address. So i'd assume that u had 2 weeks to change it.

mars_panas
01-12-2008, 11:28 AM
actually you better check that with vic roads, from memory you have to do a transfer of ownership within 14 days of purchase, and re-registration from moving states within 14days of finding a fixed address. So i'd assume that u had 2 weeks to change it.

hi Kim... wat if my uncle doesn't mind the regsiteration is under his name?

IEVAQ8
01-12-2008, 12:22 PM
back to the thread starter, if you need someone to check the car for ...........ask a mate or a mechanic shop, or get the guy to take it to a mechanic shop u ant and then call up and get a response from the shop u asked the owner to take it to....

then make ur decision... but for like $150 air fair, i would make sure and fly down to check it and drive it back if ur happy or just bite the bullet and spend another $150 or so and fly home empty handed..........

Zdster
01-12-2008, 12:54 PM
I am sorry, but does no one in this thread read? CONTACT YOUR LOCAL ROAD AUTHORITY RATHER THAN RELYING ON THIRD HAND POTENTIALLY INCORRECT INFORMATION!!!

mars_panas
01-12-2008, 01:17 PM
I am sorry, but does no one in this thread read? CONTACT YOUR LOCAL ROAD AUTHORITY RATHER THAN RELYING ON THIRD HAND POTENTIALLY INCORRECT INFORMATION!!!

sorry mate.... i would call but seeing i cannot use work phone for personal use i rather ask the question here seeing this thread still open & active :)

T-onedc2
01-12-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm looking at buying a used Integra VTiR that I saw on the net. It is everything that I'm looking for. The problem is this guy is in Melbourne and I'm in Adelaide.

Just wanna know if anyone here has had experience buying used car from interstate? Particularly those from Adelaide, I'd like to hear from you. Is there any extra cost such as rego for cars brought in from other states?

Is it worth it if the price is right? The guy has agreed to get RWC for the car at his expense if I'm serious. Flying over to Melbourne is not impossible but I'd prefer doing that only when I've set on purchasing it.

All comments welcome.

Thanks all in advance.

Hey man, I did the same thing almost 4 years ago, afaik you don't need rwc for SA rego. I remember it cost me about $1100 which included the cost to go through Regency to get permission to register in SA, transfer fee etc and 3 months rego.

Dad and I drove over to check it out and drove convoy back. Cars are cheaper and there's more variety interstate.

Zinyo
05-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Guys, what sort of things (steps) do i need to do if i want to purchase a car from NSW when im in Melbourne. As in;
1.)How do i do checks on the condition of the car and etc...without having to go there first? (racv?)
2.)I heard NSW dont need a RWC, whereas Melb does...How do i solve this problem?

Thanks