PDA

View Full Version : WTB thread

F.O.B Squad
18-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Hi,

I just like to put out a suggestion for this particular thread.

I thought that since there are alot of members requesting alot of parts that they are seeking, that pretty much makes alot of new requsted threads.

Therefore just a solution to the clutter maybe just to inform members to notify moderators by stating on their thread that the item/s they are requesting has been found so that it can then be deleted.

I only bring this up because since i pretty much can't get member status (i dont know why, seems like i cant post a good quality post), to sell items in the parts thread so i occasionally seek out members here who may need an item that i may have.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
18-11-2008, 02:04 PM
I honestly think it should be common sense for people to Pm a online moderator and request the delete/closed the thread rather then post/change title to 'Everything bought Mod please close' (well you get the idea)

Though you bringing this up may make people more aware.

Q_ball
18-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Kinda hard to enforce as its up to the individual thread starter.
But yeh, as Lloyd has just mentioned, perhaps this thread will make thread starters more aware of the situation.

F.O.B Squad
18-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Thats true.

The suggestion that i brought up i guess is an alternative to pm a moderator.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
18-11-2008, 02:18 PM
IMO it is simply alot efficent to just Pm a mod and request the thread be closed due to its purpose filled and the thread is closed there and then.

That way the moderator has been pm'd (worst case scenario re-pm after x amount of days of it being left open) and its at there attention.

Though tRipitaka is the wtb section moderator it doesn't mean he should troll that section for hours on end looking for posts/thread titles saying "Close thread please"

F.O.B Squad
18-11-2008, 02:32 PM
But it would make it easier for him to delete ones that are of no use when its time for clean up i guess.

Once he reads "please close" as their thread title, its alot easier. But then again just an open suggestion.

Moderators may want to put this in the rules sticky just so people know about it. Up to them i guess.

Q_ball
18-11-2008, 02:38 PM
We're not going to sit there and read every single WTB thread to look for the words, CLOSE THREAD.

bennjamin
18-11-2008, 02:45 PM
no point.

If a member finds something , they simply dont update their thread. It sinks down and disappears.

If you still want something , you bump your thread and keep it at the top daily.

If im missing something let me know.

F.O.B Squad
18-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Q ball i think you misunderstood what i meant.

What i meant was:
Once the OP has found their item/s then change their thread title to please close/ delete or whatever.

Example:

Phase 1. [VIC] WTB Cusco Coilovers
Phase 2. Item found for OP.
Phase 3. OP changes their title from [VIC] WTB Cusco Coilovers to> Item Found / Please Close
Phase 4. When moderator is in WTB section and sees these sort of titles then delete.

This may also help members not to look in that finished thread.

I didnt mean look within every thread posted and look for the words "please close" in a post. Thats a pain in the ass.

So instead once the moderator sees a title stating the their item/s is found then delete it.

bennjamin
18-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Ok i get it - but my point as above is chances are no one else will bump up a WTB thread. Recent pending WTBs will surface and take up the front page so there isnt any clutter.

PS anything old gets deleted in the site clean up every so often anyway.

F.O.B Squad
18-11-2008, 03:00 PM
OK fair enough well it was something that was on head and well theres a discussion thread so i thought i'll see what the moderators think.

Oh well thanks for hearing me out.

bennjamin
18-11-2008, 03:04 PM
anytime , we always welcome legit suggestions. Mind you , any members are welcome to pm a moderator with their thread to be closed ,, and we will do what you ask.

Q_ball
18-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Q ball i think you misunderstood what i meant.

What i meant was:
Once the OP has found their item/s then change their thread title to please close/ delete or whatever.

Example:

Phase 1. [VIC] WTB Cusco Coilovers
Phase 2. Item found for OP.
Phase 3. OP changes their title from [VIC] WTB Cusco Coilovers to> Item Found / Please Close
Phase 4. When moderator is in WTB section and sees these sort of titles then delete.

This may also help members not to look in that finished thread.

I didnt mean look within every thread posted and look for the words "please close" in a post. Thats a pain in the ass.

So instead once the moderator sees a title stating the their item/s is found then delete it.
I understand where you're coming from now, and do agree that this would work, provided...
a) Users are allowed to change thread titles for a longer period after creation
b) Users are proactively change their thread title (which i dont see happening)

Best bet for now, is to adhere to what ben is suggesting and simply follow the first 3 odd pages of the WTB section on a daily basis.

wynode
18-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Generally when a user finds what he/her is looking for they stop replying to the thread. It ends up being more work on the moderators list of 'To do' if they get PMs from users to close/delete threads.

So please do not PM moderators to close/delete a thread. Just reply to the thread.

Otherwise just leave the thread and it will get pruned as we tend to prune old threads every 6-12 months (infact it is happening this Saturday!).

F.O.B Squad
18-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Generally when a user finds what he/her is looking for they stop replying to the thread. It ends up being more work on the moderators list of 'To do' if they get PMs from users to close/delete threads.

So please do not PM moderators to close/delete a thread. Just reply to the thread.

Otherwise just leave the thread and it will get pruned as we tend to prune old threads every 6-12 months (infact it is happening this Saturday!).

So basically Wynode, what I am suggesting is something positive?

bennjamin
18-11-2008, 08:09 PM
So basically Wynode, what I am suggesting is something positive?

Well , its up to YOU as the member to maintain YOUR wanted thread.

Its simple -

If you want coverage you bump it up or update it yourself.
If you found good/service or dont need it , leave it be.

wynode
18-11-2008, 11:08 PM
What I meant was to reply to the thread so that others know if you have:
a) found what you are looking for (so others don't hassles you with PMs)
b) haven't found what you are looking for (if you haven't got a response within say a few days).

If you just leave the thread be without replying to it then most people will assume you have found what you are after.

If you MUST tell somebody that the thread can be closed then just reply to the thread (as per item (a) above). The point is that mods shouldn't have to be sent PMs just to close a thread.

Hope that makes sense.

F.O.B Squad
18-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Ok well thats cool. for me.

Just to let you know, i never mentioned sending a PM to a moderator to close a thread.

vinnY
18-11-2008, 11:41 PM
can't you close your own thread that you started anyhow? no need to pm a mod

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/9918/screenshot39ed8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

F.O.B Squad
19-11-2008, 09:04 AM
I don't have the option for me. Maybe because my status is still newcomer since 2006. I dunno.

But i was thinking, why would moderators want OP to pm them to simple tell them to close their thread? Wouldnt that just be congesting your inbox with unnecessary messages?

I dont know i just bought this thread up since there is like 310 pages worth of members wanting to buy things dating back since 2007. I also thought this may also benefit the Parts for Sale thread, once items from the OP are all sold then theres no need for that thread anymore, sort of gives false hope i guess for some people who found what they wanted but as a matter of fact was sold in jan for example.
Unless the thread is something that states it regularly updated with parts then leave it, if not then state that you want to close it or if vinny stated before that you have the option to close it yourself then do so.

Q_ball
19-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Are you talking about the Parts for sale section or the WTB section now?

F.O.B Squad
19-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Well both now i guess...

Q_ball
19-11-2008, 09:21 AM
I think you're just confusing both situations now.

In both sections, the thread is self managed.
If the member doesnt close it, or get it deleted, thats their issue.
Sure it makes you as the reader have to sift through a few more threads/pages - but its up to the individual reader to gauge on a threads validity based on the date of the last activity.

Its as simple as that, and i dont believe there's going to be another "easier" way around this.
If the thread hasnt been touched in a month or more, move on.

F.O.B Squad
19-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Fair enough, just as long as OP's are advised to manage their thread (deleting and updating) then that would be alot more helping to other members as they are notified of on whats happening.

aaronng
19-11-2008, 10:06 AM
I reckon, edit your first post to "item found. please delete" and also do the same for the title. Then if someone is searching, they will notice that the thread title says that and not go into the thread. Don't need to PM.

F.O.B Squad
19-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Exactly what im saying.