PDA

View Full Version : Exposed Air Pods in NSW Illegal?

TEK
18-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Well is it illegal or Legal??
Just want to know
Thanks

VTECMACHINE
18-11-2008, 10:17 PM
100% illegal.

Anything aftermarket is illegal.
Even Enclosed airboxs whic are aftermarket (Mugen CAI) is illegal - I would know as I have been defected for this.

na-118
18-11-2008, 10:20 PM
illegal for sure man, defect notice, just get airfilter or something and make a box or you can buy these covers from autobarn

dupac->
18-11-2008, 10:27 PM
yes it is

aaronng
18-11-2008, 10:28 PM
You can be defected for anything if you come across a nasty cop. Even for stock recaros if you have a dc2 type R!

na-118
18-11-2008, 10:31 PM
even a head unit aaronng?

TEK
18-11-2008, 10:33 PM
LOL ok that answers my question :-D
Guess if i get caught if one im pretty screwed lol (depending on the Cop) Whats my chances with Everything Stock apart from the Airfilter? Im guessing Pretty Slim?

gheybo
18-11-2008, 10:46 PM
100% illegal.

Anything aftermarket is illegal.
Even Enclosed airboxs whic are aftermarket (Mugen CAI) is illegal - I would know as I have been defected for this.

LOL enclosed air box and still get defected? what did the cop say?

hondajazz2005
18-11-2008, 10:48 PM
i have the open pod filter, when i do blue slip for my interstate car, its illegal.

na-118
18-11-2008, 10:48 PM
so if i got a HU i'd get defeceted?

dupac->
18-11-2008, 11:24 PM
yes if he really wanted too..

they can give any stupid excuse for a defect.

ur heads a defect its too big.. u will block the mirrors. LOL

g.ta
18-11-2008, 11:38 PM
so if i got a HU i'd get defeceted?

if hes a prick, then yes it is defect.

VTECMACHINE
19-11-2008, 12:21 AM
LOL enclosed air box and still get defected? what did the cop say?

Yes, anything aftermarket. They can apparently defect you for aftermarket headunit, and after market halogen globes. If the product hasn't been engineered for the car it's illegal.

You can be defected for anything if you come across a nasty cop. Even for stock recaros if you have a dc2 type R!

That is true... trust me the cop tried. He wanted to get me for seats. He got me for Headers, Spoon front strut brace, grounding kit, Mugen intake, stripped interior, interior braceing. Somehow, he left the CF bonnet with bonet pins alone as I told him the RTA approved it. I went in to dispute it, and he goes look.. your lucky I didn't get you for the bonnet, spoiler, seats and steering wheel mate. Also that intercooler is quite large. Intercooler?? Koyo radiator...?

steve88
19-11-2008, 07:08 AM
imagine if you're heaps ugly and you get defected for that, sorry mate but you are just too ugly to drive *defect*

Crapdaz
19-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Yes, anything aftermarket. They can apparently defect you for aftermarket headunit, and after market halogen globes. If the product hasn't been engineered for the car it's illegal.

That is true... trust me the cop tried. He wanted to get me for seats. He got me for Headers, Spoon front strut brace, grounding kit, Mugen intake, stripped interior, interior braceing. Somehow, he left the CF bonnet with bonet pins alone as I told him the RTA approved it. I went in to dispute it, and he goes look.. your lucky I didn't get you for the bonnet, spoiler, seats and steering wheel mate. Also that intercooler is quite large. Intercooler?? Koyo radiator...?

mate rofl intercooler!!!!

imagine you told him it was N/A and he wouldn't believe you cause of your koyo. <-- then again you would suffer even more.

But to OP - you can get defected for almost anything and everything for coppers to raise revenue.

xntrik
19-11-2008, 08:23 AM
aftermarket gearknobs are defectable also.

so to answer your question, yes pod filters are defectable.

but its not a major defect easily cleared.

jdm_ek4yo
20-11-2008, 04:10 PM
I know a friend that has a razo gear knob and got defected coz the gear knob doesn't have the gear numbers on it -_-". pretty lame to me

Dy_
20-11-2008, 04:22 PM
I know a friend that has a razo gear knob and got defected coz the gear knob doesn't have the gear numbers on it -_-". pretty lame to me

thats pretty common...tell him to get a sticker with the numbers and stick it on the dash or somewhere visible.

4p1ay
20-11-2008, 04:34 PM
^ u can do that?

aaronng
20-11-2008, 04:43 PM
^ u can do that?

Yes you can. Just print it out, cut and laminate and then sticky tape it somewhere near the gearstick. Or use a Razo sticker.

aaronng
20-11-2008, 04:44 PM

Razo knobs come with 2 shift pattern stickers for you to stick somewhere near the gearstick, one for 5-speed and another for 6-speed.

jdm_ek4yo
20-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeh, its still a lame defect. Not like ne1 driving manual not know where the gears are. But yeh back to the original topic. Can't you just enclose your pod so cops cant see it? then you wont get a defect.

Dy_
20-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeh, its still a lame defect. Not like ne1 driving manual not know where the gears are. But yeh back to the original topic. Can't you just enclose your pod so cops cant see it? then you wont get a defect.

nope, anything other than stock will be deemed defectable, they can also get you for noise emission, not the exposed pod.

rbk_212
20-11-2008, 05:33 PM
far out NSW has to have the gayest modification laws ever

defect for a head unit, i mean come on...

Dy_
20-11-2008, 05:47 PM
far out NSW has to have the gayest modification laws ever

defect for a head unit, i mean come on...

lol they said it CAN be defected but i dont think anyone has been though.

Lukezen27
20-11-2008, 06:45 PM
I got pulled over for my first RBT drug test on the beach’s last weekend... Passed :thumbsup:

Cops start going over my car looking round think’n man we are going to bust this guy for sure….

Honda Civic EG5
Full Mugen Body Kit
Turbo
Front Mounted Intercooler
Lowered
Coilovers
17" Rims
2.5" Exhaust loud as ****
Aftermarket Seats
Aftermarket gear knob
Aftermarket Momo Steering Wheel

Head cop looks at the rego sticker BAM!!!! Boys forget about it!!!!!!!! And they all walked off

Engineering Certificate is a beautiful thing people :)

Do it right do it legal and you have nothing to worry about...

Dy_
20-11-2008, 09:38 PM
ahahah! how much did it cost you to get everything engineered?

CONAN
20-11-2008, 09:50 PM
YES it is a defect, but if you don't abide by the law and go ahead with changing to a pod, just remember to keep your factory airbox

Lukezen27
20-11-2008, 10:04 PM
ahahah! how much did it cost you to get everything engineered?

About $800 bucks

Trick is to do your research before you go...

Make sure what you've done will pass :thumbsup:

Dy_
20-11-2008, 10:16 PM
About $800 bucks

Trick is to do your research before you go...

Make sure what you've done will pass :thumbsup:

so you had all your mods done and then got it all engineered at once?

was the 800$ cause you had money things to get checked? thanks buddy!

Lukezen27
20-11-2008, 10:20 PM
so you had all your mods done and then got it all engineered at once?

was the 800$ cause you had money things to get checked? thanks buddy!

Yup mods done first them off to the engineer...

No $800 to $1000 bucks is about the standard price no matter what's been done. goes up if you've done crazy mods that need prof and testing

Making sure your mods will pass is the hardest part

Dy_
20-11-2008, 10:30 PM
awesome thanks for that bit of info.
so inbetween modding and getting that certificate you still have to risk getting owned lol.

Lukezen27
20-11-2008, 10:36 PM
awesome thanks for that bit of info.
so inbetween modding and getting that certificate you still have to risk getting owned lol.

Yeah but once done you can add mods for about $100 :thumbsup:

Its not so bad on the North Beach's like it is out West... dive out there and there's a cop every ten minutes :o

cupnoodle
21-11-2008, 08:44 AM
NSW is just not a place to be, for car "enthusiasts"

Limbo
21-11-2008, 09:01 AM
i got defected for excess grease on my cv joints. Cop called it an oil leak!
Now lets try engineering that!

Also told me i didn't have horn! had to show him where it was!

rbk_212
21-11-2008, 09:16 AM
i got defected for excess grease on my cv joints. Cop called it an oil leak!
Now lets try engineering that!

Also told me i didn't have horn! had to show him where it was!

couldnt you have just honked the horn to show him? :p lol

cupnoodle
21-11-2008, 09:18 AM
couldnt you have just honked the horn to show him? :p lol

LOL so true

JaCe
21-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Out of interest, how does an engineering cert change your rego? Do you get a different sticker?

Lukezen27
21-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Out of interest, how does an engineering cert change your rego? Do you get a different sticker?

Yup

sticker has condition code on it that allows them to cal up all your engineered list via the RTA

thegame-01
24-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Cops in nsw have no pity

even fog lights they cant be turned on ??? Wt.....

Type S Tony
24-11-2008, 10:39 AM
I got defected on my old car because the seatbelt didnt re-tract fast enough!!!

They looked at the engine and said, all looks fine here, It was a Toyota Paseo with a GT Starlet engine, I had just done the conversion the weekend before, it still had the blody top mount without a bonnet scoop!!! hahah go figure!

dupac->
24-11-2008, 01:19 PM
yeahh i got an $81 fine 2 days ago for my pod.

nice

thegame-01
24-11-2008, 08:33 PM
BUT THE MOST PATHETIC ONE OFF ALL IS THE ((P plate rule) WHERE THE P PLATE HAS 2 SHOW. IF ITS NOT SHOWING ITS A FINE

WOW NOW THATS LAMEEEE

THEY MIGHT AS WELL GIVE A DFECT FOR WEARING A HAT!!! lol

thegame-01
26-11-2008, 08:29 PM
If i enclose me pod filter in a box rather then a exposed pod filter will that make a difference performance wise??

dudeling7
26-11-2008, 08:32 PM
it'll be better if the box is fed because it will be cooler than the engine air temp minimal gains though....

in the ACT its up the the officer weather u cop a fine or not....is that the same in other states or is it straight up fine?

atm though around xmas there are so many cops and defects its fkn annoying as hell i hate it makes me scared to drive

trism
26-11-2008, 08:32 PM
it will reduce your awesome factor by atleast 12 points

Lukey
27-11-2008, 08:43 PM

not really

if soeone has to get into the car to move it for whatever reason and it doesnt have shift pattern, they might not be able to find the right gear

like ive seen reverse up next to first, fifth and sixth

etc.

CRAVED
27-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Cops in nsw have no pity

even fog lights they cant be turned on ??? Wt.....

they cannot be turned on in non-foggy conditions, hence the name fog lights.

engineering certificates are great, just not friendly to those who have to buy mods one at a time, you need the cash to get it all done at once after you plan out your mods.

just finished getting a mates sprinter registered and egineered. 1JZ-gte and all legal :) cost $1200 for the cert but this was a big job with custom transmission tunnel etc

Lukezen27
28-11-2008, 07:12 AM
they cannot be turned on in non-foggy conditions, hence the name fog lights.

engineering certificates are great, just not friendly to those who have to buy mods one at a time, you need the cash to get it all done at once after you plan out your mods.

just finished getting a mates sprinter registered and egineered. 1JZ-gte and all legal :) cost $1200 for the cert but this was a big job with custom transmission tunnel etc

Trust me $1200 to not have the cops able to **** with you is wll worth it :thumbsup:

thegame-01
28-11-2008, 07:35 AM
in regard to the engineer cert. If your car is stock i think its not worth it

for example. my car is stock the only mod is a pod filter, now paying over 1000 g's doesnt sound 2 good. but for the fully modded cars i think its a

((GREAT))

IDEA

Lukezen27
28-11-2008, 07:55 AM
in regard to the engineer cert. If your car is stock i think its not worth it

for example. my car is stock the only mod is a pod filter, now paying over 1000 g's doesnt sound 2 good. but for the fully modded cars i think its a

((GREAT))

IDEA

You can't engineer pod filter!!

Engineering won't make illegal mods legal

CRAVED
28-11-2008, 05:50 PM
engineer can sign off that your enclosure you put a pod in is safe and does not affect noise levels past legal requirements etc

so you can engineer a pod to an extent, and that wouldnt cost the earth. Call some of the registered engineers on the RTA website for your state to discuss the options and costs.

Lukezen27
28-11-2008, 05:55 PM
engineer can sign off that your enclosure you put a pod in is safe and does not affect noise levels past legal requirements etc

so you can engineer a pod to an extent, and that wouldnt cost the earth. Call some of the registered engineers on the RTA website for your state to discuss the options and costs.

Trust me they won't even if they can...

Its not worth there trouble having to deal with picky cops

ek4-guy
28-11-2008, 06:23 PM
An engineers cert don't mean cops will leave you alone as how easy is it to change things around after the cert is done

CRAVED
28-11-2008, 11:47 PM
it doesnt leave you alone no, but they cannot get you for things listed on the certificate, thats the point, if you change something its not covered.

anyway - for just a pod - keep your airbox just in case haha