PDA

View Full Version : crank pully bolt

sammy342
19-11-2008, 06:26 PM
any ideas ppl does the bolt come off anticlockwise like normal bolts or is it left hand thread casue i been trying anticlockwise is it possible to lock the bolt up and crank over the engine on a da9 i think the engine spins the wrong way that is if the bolt is anticlockwise by the way i have tryed rattle gun.. no good tryed hitting with a hammer and yer are there any other methods i could try

destrukshn
19-11-2008, 06:27 PM
normal anti clockwise.
to take it off.
yes the engine spins in the opposite way.
lol.

Paul1985
19-11-2008, 06:30 PM
It is a normal bolt (anti-clockwise).

Your problem here is that these bolts are in the vicinity of 300Nm.

Search the DIY part of this forum for topics created by ECU-MAN
He posted up a vid on removing this bolt a while back, check it out.

The air compressor your using no doubt doesnt have the balls to remove this nut.

I removed the one on my engine with about a 2 metre poll over a breaker bar (locked the flywheel with a screwdriver). My engine was on a stand aswell so i had more access to the bolt.

sammy342
19-11-2008, 06:48 PM
destrukshn: my engine spins anti clockwise so if the bolt is anti clockwise it will tighten not loosen am i correct thanks for ur help just want to clarify dont wanna break nothing

95civic
19-11-2008, 06:57 PM
I had to get out my 3/4 rattle to get mine off!!!

thaaznboi
19-11-2008, 07:00 PM
It is a normal bolt (anti-clockwise).
I removed the one on my engine with about a 2 metre poll over a breaker bar .

same here..... i just did it on the weekend. when it comes off it will make a sound like something has broken/cracked. so don't b suprised.

aaronng
19-11-2008, 07:22 PM
destrukshn: my engine spins anti clockwise so if the bolt is anti clockwise it will tighten not loosen am i correct thanks for ur help just want to clarify dont wanna break nothing

No, if the engine spins anticlockwise when you are looking at the pulley then the bolt will be anticlockwise to loosen and clockwise to tighten.

If your engine spins clockwise, then yes, it would be clockwise to loosen and anticlockwise to tighten.

sammy342
19-11-2008, 07:44 PM
lol u got me confused my pully turns anti clockwise the bolt needs to turn anti clockwise to loosen if i lock the bolt wit a breaker bar to the frame of the car and crank will it come loose sorry if i am fustrating you lol

aaronng
19-11-2008, 07:46 PM
lol u got me confused my pully turns anti clockwise the bolt needs to turn anti clockwise to loosen if i lock the bolt wit a breaker bar to the frame of the car and crank will it come loose sorry if i am fustrating you lol
Ahhh I see. Sorry, I misunderstood. I'd say use a very long extension pipe, or a 1 inch high HP rattle gun.

Paul1985
20-11-2008, 11:17 AM

It depends how you are looking at your pulley. If you are looking at it standing on the passenger side fender so you can see if the pulley is spinning clockwise or anticlockwise..

think about it from this position..

You want the pulley to be rotating clockwise from this position if you have the breaker bar on it and against the body. Think of the way the force is being applied. You just need to picture it in your head.

A-man
20-11-2008, 05:43 PM
yeh 3/4 rattle gun with a sick compresser the normal tiny compressers u guys prob using (me included) dont have enough balls to get the job done... they are however very tight

Blulude98
20-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Just one word of advise, be very carefull as i once snapped the head clean of the bolt on my fifth gen Prelude VTIR by locking a breaker bar on the suspension then trying to crank the engine. It ended up costing me $300.00 just to have someone come out and remove the left over bolt in the crank.

sammy342
21-11-2008, 06:59 PM
thats sucks did i t snap casue when u cranked the motor it spun in the wrong direction so instead of loosening in tightened it even more

Blulude98
21-11-2008, 08:37 PM
thats sucks did i t snap casue when u cranked the motor it spun in the wrong direction so instead of loosening in tightened it even more

nah mate it snapped cause i had the rattle gun on it for like 30 minutes before i used the breaker bar. All that tension must have weakend the bolt.

sammy342
22-11-2008, 06:02 PM
aww yer got the bolt off this morning made a tool to lock the crank then stood on the breaker bar and it come loose was so relieved lol thanks for your help guys