PDA

View Full Version : Under the skin of all-new NSX

Malenic1981
20-11-2008, 09:48 PM
From autoexpress

Supercar gets V10 as it targets Ferrari and Aston.

Check out the nuts and bolts of what will make the replacement for the Honda NSX special!

Set to reach showrooms late next year, the new supercar will be as technologically advanced as the Nissan GT-R. It will target big-name rivals such as the Ferrari F430, Aston Martin V8 Vantage and Porsche 911 GT3.

Where its predecessor had a mere 280bhp from its 3.0-litre V6 engine, the new model features a 5.5-litre V10 delivering 560bhp. This increased power is transferred via a six-speed semi-auto box, with steering wheel-mounted paddleshifters.

As a result, the car should cover 0-60mph in less than four seconds and hit a near-200mph top speed. Honda’s Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system promises amazing grip, while huge brakes complete the package. Inside is a luxury two-seater cabin, with soft leather throughout. A price of around £100,000 is likely.

560hp sounds good, don't know how well it's gonna do against astons and ferraries (not worried about performance but market and sales), but ww'll see, hope some sort of light weight (type R) version comes out as well

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_586/car_photo_293067_25.jpg
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_586/car_photo_293070_25.jpg
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_587/car_photo_293586_25.jpg
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_587/car_photo_293583_25.jpg
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_587/car_photo_293580_25.jpg
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_586/car_photo_293025_25.jpg

Cvik_ryda
27-11-2008, 08:59 AM
sound fantastic but 100,000 pounds???????? are they nut?

cupnoodle
27-11-2008, 09:33 AM
looks nothing like an NSX anymore

hiru
27-11-2008, 09:57 AM
semi auto? that's not cool.... lookin very nice tho!

tseesinngwailo
27-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Oh God no, please dont use that ugly nose, looks like a really bad prelude (sorry Lude owners) the 3rd pic looks much nicer, same goes for the rear end on the white one, but the top 2 pics? geeze, even the Lexus looks nicer.

This is what happens when something is designed for the US market, big engine and ugly as. I know we wont see any here, but Honda has put out so many nice looking cars over the years, I can't believe this is going to be the Halo model (not that the GTR is pretty either).

What ever happened to cutting edge technology and the mid-mount? This seems more like a car for the big fat-a$$ execs who think they know all about cars. I would have much preferred something along the lines of the HSC, I mean, look at the Kiwami for styling, a really funky Odyssey for the future, the Porsche always looks like the previous ones, just a bit more refined, this new thing should not be called an NSX (or replacement) it should be called LSC (Legend Sports Concept) as to me it's more of a rich mans Legend plaything, not a world beating sports car.

Thats just my recently devalued 2 cents

rawr
27-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Honda in general has slumped with their 'raw sports' image. The civic went from a beasty raw b16a to a quiet and subtle k... even the k20a isn't as raw as i'd like but the power is quite nice, but that's expected from newer tech.
Damn honda and their family cars!

revjunkie
27-11-2008, 11:51 AM
I completely agree with you mate. The NSX has always been a dream car for myself and im sure many others feel the same. For Acura to turn the most highly engineered car of all time into this is an embarrasment and doesnt follow the reasons why i liked the nsx in the first place.

All aluminum monocoque, Mid mount engine for even weight distribution, All alloy double-wishbone suspension etc etc. a high engineered engine full of titanium that wasnt overpowered (pulled the car nicely around corners without bogan wheelspin).

why semi auto and not 6 speed sequential like JGTC?..

Honda wake up!. soichiro honda would be rolling in his grave over the direction Honda is taking with this car.

why not design the best car ever to come out of japan in japan?..

my 2 cents worth :P

Oh God no, please dont use that ugly nose, looks like a really bad prelude (sorry Lude owners) the 3rd pic looks much nicer, same goes for the rear end on the white one, but the top 2 pics? geeze, even the Lexus looks nicer.

This is what happens when something is designed for the US market, big engine and ugly as. I know we wont see any here, but Honda has put out so many nice looking cars over the years, I can't believe this is going to be the Halo model (not that the GTR is pretty either).

What ever happened to cutting edge technology and the mid-mount? This seems more like a car for the big fat-a$$ execs who think they know all about cars. I would have much preferred something along the lines of the HSC, I mean, look at the Kiwami for styling, a really funky Odyssey for the future, the Porsche always looks like the previous ones, just a bit more refined, this new thing should not be called an NSX (or replacement) it should be called LSC (Legend Sports Concept) as to me it's more of a rich mand Legend plaything, not a world beating sports car.

Thats just my recently devalued 2 cents

.::F[L]Y::.
27-11-2008, 07:42 PM
yea the 'new' nsx will probably have some bs price tag. Honda are now following the footsteps of toyota, building mundane family cars.

VTi_b0i
27-11-2008, 07:50 PM
i like it! not the Acura version tho

zco
27-11-2008, 10:44 PM
i aint no nsx if the engine gonna be at the front..

game overr

Malenic1981
27-11-2008, 11:03 PM
There is one possible positive thing that could come out of this car, the engine, 5.5l V10, if honda is smart and brave to follow BMW, Audi and VW they could make a nice V8 engine (cut out 2 cyl like bmw did with their V10 engine and than got their V8 for M3) and put it in some other honda car (Legend type R for example) and make it more affordable so us normal people could buy it.

Hans Bond
28-11-2008, 08:21 AM
looks like the next generation of 350z rather than a new breed of nsx to me..

drifter
28-11-2008, 10:53 AM
omg........is this the END of the NSX..........

this is nothing like the NSX series .........

vte18c
28-11-2008, 03:20 PM
The problem is the American market generates alot of money for Honda and therefore dictates design directions, the result unfortunately is the McNSX. American's aren't bright, just look at the market dominating massive pickup trucks they all drive around in.. the subtle nature of design philosophy is lost on them.. just give them more of everything and they are happy, more power, more weight, more features... more more more.. doesn't always equal more.

you can even see the difference between the acura badged snaps and the Honda ones.. Honda Japan have tried to tidy the thing up a bit at least..

Malenic1981
28-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Well I think honda japan are doing well, look at new accord euro, lagend, FD2R ect, all good cars with honda tradition, I hope they make something that's gonna be in class of M3, RS4 ect and some sports coupe as replacement for S2K

beeza
29-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Dayum! :thumbsup:

interfooler
29-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Putting the engine at the front is just like putting the engine of the 911 turbo in the front and calling it the new 911. It just doesnt make any sense at all.

And the white one in those pictures looks miles better than the silver one. If Honda is really going on with this then PLEASE make the white one!! The silver one doesnt even deserve to wear the H badge, whats more the NSX badge.

CKEY
30-11-2008, 03:07 PM
wish it was coming to AUS

CKEY
30-11-2008, 03:11 PM
well actually, i dont wish the silver model or the white model comes to australia, cause they are both abominations to the NSX badge. the NSX is low wide and sleek not this silly thing. STICK WITH THE OLD DESGIN :(

7ypeR
30-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Finally it arrives. It definately looks the goods. There seems to be alot of hate and scepticism towards but i guess that comes with everything new. When the dc5 first came out, everyone was quick to bag the vehicle weight and k20 motor. Now you find k20 and k24 engines in all sorts of street hondas.

Honda has always been at the forefront of innovation. Even if it's sold for $500k, what do you expect for quality? Honda is bringing formula 1 tech to the road. Do you expect to drive floor mounted shifters forever or move on to paddle shifters where the gear changes are faster and more precise (no chance of crunching gears). You've also got the SH-AWD and fly-by wire(?)

NSX is no longer a poor man's supercar, it's THE supercar :honda:

Type S Tony
01-12-2008, 10:31 AM
I have to admitt for the money your paying you are getting alot! This is in comparrison to the price of a new NSX when the latest face lift model came out. This is in regards to power & technology.

I dont really like the look of the rear end but everything else looks fantastic.

However, I am with the train of thought that it should not be called the NSX like alot of other people on this forum. The new NSX should be based on the same concepts of the previous generations, sticking to mid mounted engine technology & handling.

Why couldnt they build one with a v10 thats rear mounted like the Gallardo?

Crapdaz
01-12-2008, 01:04 PM
looks like a camaro.

one of the images looked like an S15.

vte18c
01-12-2008, 01:15 PM
''It's 6 lanes and 2 lanes wide, its 65 tonnes of American pride...

canyanarooo wooo... ohhhh Canyanaro!''

Red_EG4
01-12-2008, 06:12 PM
original NSX was a poor man's ferrari.
Looking at the Ferrari California I can see a similar trend with the new NSX.
http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/2009_ferrari_california_image003.jpg

preludacris
02-12-2008, 01:52 AM
just give them more of everything and they are happy, more power, more weight, more features... more more more.. doesn't always equal more.

it equals more on the nurbergring. the new nsx slaughters the old nsxR. and we are talking the unfinished product... imagine what it will do after all the tweaking and polishing up has taken place.

duno why everybody hates it. so what it doesnt look like the old one. i mean, i guess i was kinda dissapointed at first coz i was expecting the HSC to take its place. but it still looks mad, and guys cmon..... 10cyl vtec. have you heard the thing?? its beeaauuutifull...

h17am
02-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Yah... it looks awesome... I like it.
Kinda looks like a corvette... and corvettes are boss!

Sp00ny
02-12-2008, 09:08 PM
I completely agree with you mate. The NSX has always been a dream car for myself and im sure many others feel the same. For Acura to turn the most highly engineered car of all time into this is an embarrasment and doesnt follow the reasons why i liked the nsx in the first place.

All aluminum monocoque, Mid mount engine for even weight distribution, All alloy double-wishbone suspension etc etc. a high engineered engine full of titanium that wasnt overpowered (pulled the car nicely around corners without bogan wheelspin).

why semi auto and not 6 speed sequential like JGTC?..

Honda wake up!. soichiro honda would be rolling in his grave over the direction Honda is taking with this car.

why not design the best car ever to come out of japan in japan?..

my 2 cents worth :P

I agree to an extent. You have to realise in order for honda to explore this market and find it financially viable they have to invest in what the target market want that can afford such a car...we all want Mid-Mount HARDCORE 20/16kgmm spoon suspension with such a small stroke that a female masturbating could put it to shame. (ok bit of an exageration....lol)

>HOWEVER< in realism they have to consider their target price range and target audience...chances are a middle aged nostalgic man doesn't want a car he can hit hairpins in at 150km/h without breaking a sweat he wants something with power and something that he/she could be recognized for. Same reason millionares rarely buy Evo's/NSX's and put coilovers in them and make them faster/more reliable than a ferrari...as there are other major factors which contribute to their purchase decision...recognition being a key factor and sometimes known as a wank factor.

I love Honda but i still don't think in realism they are ever going to be able to target the same audience that BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Porsche etc. do. At least not for a long time without an unlikely market changing release. They are just not known as the car you get when "you've made it".

As sad as it is for us Honda owners/enthusiesnts they are a business and trying to make a living like all of us...the way the world goes 'round.

cracker
02-12-2008, 10:41 PM
everybody shit talks new stuff at first...just like a bunch of grumpy old men

DreadAngel
04-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Designed by Americans for Americans, what you expect?

HSC > This POS with 4WD and Front engine layout...

it equals more on the nurbergring. the new nsx slaughters the old nsxR. and we are talking the unfinished product... imagine what it will do after all the tweaking and polishing up has taken place.

duno why everybody hates it. so what it doesnt look like the old one. i mean, i guess i was kinda dissapointed at first coz i was expecting the HSC to take its place. but it still looks mad, and guys cmon..... 10cyl vtec. have you heard the thing?? its beeaauuutifull...

How about the HSC with a V10 VTEC eh?

Whats so different about Acura's "Supercar" compared to the others? Looks as futuristic as their FN2, has a V10 and 4WD... Sounds like the rest of the Supercars... Except with a Honda badge and like Nissan will be already degraded unfortunately...

B18C VVTi
05-12-2008, 11:41 PM
I wonder how Honda are going to market this car now that they've pulled out of F1...

VTi_b0i
06-12-2008, 12:56 AM
honda dont need to market to me :D i already know they sell TOP QUALITY shiet! so ima buy something! maybe a city/jazz till i can afford a s2000!!!!!

gumus89
07-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Its not going to be called an NSX, so there is no reason Honda have to make it a progression of the NSX looks wise. They were already criticised for not making much(any really) advancement while the NSX was on the market, it was pretty much unchanged by the time the end came about.

Type R Positive
08-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I think I'd get a lexus LF-A, but i'm dreaming again, of course......

badthing
18-12-2008, 10:58 AM
This just in:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/19855/honda-scraps-nsx-plans/

What a bummer! :eek:

SPEEDCORE
18-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Yeah I posted a new thread about this in this subforum but a quick message flashed up and did not get a change to see what it said... I guess must have been some kind of screening of topics to keep the NEWS section uncluttered.... no matter.

When you see car manufacturers pulling out of big projects.. alarm bells should be ringing about the state of the world economy.

Honda out of F1, Subaru out of WRC few days ago, Chrysler shutting down operations for 4 weeks until "bailout" ( word of the year lol ) plans are finalised... and now this.

tseesinngwailo
18-12-2008, 11:17 AM
This just in:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/19855/honda-scraps-nsx-plans/

What a bummer! :eek:

A moments silence please...............

(quietly cries)

Malenic1981
18-12-2008, 08:37 PM
bad news for all of us honda fans

from autoexpress

Honda cancel NSX supercar
Reports confirm that Honda has cancelled its flagship sportscar programme.
Auto Express Car Reviews17th December 2008It’s another shock announcement from Honda, and a massive blow for performance car fans everywhere. Only two weeks after dramatically pulling the plug on its Formula one team, the Japanese car maker has revealed its hotly-anticipated NSX supercar has been canned.

Honda claims the 560bhp V10 NSX, which was due to go on sale in 2010, was still in the development stage, despite posting a series of hot lap times around the Nurburgring.

The economic crisis has been blamed for the move, but Honda hasn’t entirely ruled out the NSX programme resuming in a few years time, once the firm’s financial situation improves.

link http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/233183/honda_cancel_nsx_supercar.html

SHOGUNOVDDRK
19-12-2008, 01:27 AM
I would rather see Honda pull the plug on something i will never own then have them go broke :)

aaronng
19-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Can't blame Honda, with today's market, not many rich ppl are going to buy one.\

Honda Aus on the other hand should have a go at fleet sales, seeing that many companies are opting to lease smaller cars to reduce fuel and CO2 emissions.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
19-12-2008, 07:47 AM
IMO (and most likely other people's opinions) if the New Skyline was still in the Concept stage and not released before the economy took a dump, it would have been pulled aswell.

Type R Positive
19-12-2008, 08:47 AM
I would rather see Honda pull the plug on something i will never own then have them go broke :)
Oh so true. :thumbsup:

revjunkie
19-12-2008, 09:10 AM
I agree, It is good to see that Honda, like they do with theyre cars, are leaning out there expenditure to improve performance and survive this economic crisis. smart thinking.

it is supposibly unknown how long this crisis could last for and honda know this.

cracker
19-12-2008, 09:31 AM
yeahh like imagine honda got like pwned and then we'd all be like...driving like.........antiques nd we cud be like yeah...they dont make these no more...100 thousand if u want to buy it buddy boy

SHOGUNOVDDRK
19-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Imagine if Honda got owned like Daewoo did.

gumus89
19-12-2008, 09:53 AM
It doesnt really matter apart from bragging rights.
They werent bringing it to Australia so we'd probably never see one in the skin.

SPEEDCORE
19-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Just shows you the way of Japanese corporations... rather protect themselves and take action early... than keep letting things go downhill, wait for the proverbial to hit the fan.. and go running to the govt to help them out with open hands.

aaronng
19-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Just shows you the way of Japanese corporations... rather protect themselves and take action early... than keep letting things go downhill, wait for the proverbial to hit the fan.. and go running to the govt to help them out with open hands.
They are still better off than how the US car industry is now.

Type S Tony
19-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Does this mean now that current model NSX's values are gonna go through the roof?

If so Im gonna buy a SPOON GT NSX-R asap before i cant even afford a reguler NSX anymore!

cracker
19-12-2008, 10:22 PM
mmmm theyre pretty expensive already

Type S Tony
22-12-2008, 10:45 PM
But Seriously people does anyone else thik this will have an impact on current model NSX's value? as it will kinda become a collectors item if their not building them anymore!

aaronng
23-12-2008, 09:12 AM
But Seriously people does anyone else thik this will have an impact on current model NSX's value? as it will kinda become a collectors item if their not building them anymore!
No one is even buying the current model!

Type R Positive
27-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah, they look seriously out dated now.
Although they are getting affordable now, no one wants to touch em because they are so old.

Riviera
29-12-2008, 06:43 PM
and theyve officialy scrapped the NSX....:thumbdwn:

wonder wat else they got...

d15z1SUX
29-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Yeah, they look seriously out dated now.
Although they are getting affordable now, no one wants to touch em because they are so old.

i would... if i could afford it. they are still unaffordable for most people.

DreadAngel
29-12-2008, 07:47 PM

Ditto...

Type R Positive
01-01-2009, 09:14 AM
and theyve officialy scrapped the NSX....:thumbdwn:

wonder wat else they got...
I read V8 sh-awd accord or the likes by 2015. lol.

Type R Positive
01-01-2009, 09:16 AM
But I still think it's amazing that FD2R runs the same pace on the track with it though.

Those are affordable..... if we friggin got them. :(

d15z1SUX
01-01-2009, 02:07 PM
^^true the fd2r is phenomenal for a FF car...

midnightdood
27-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Unfortunately so... :(

Chriskoss
27-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Lol 3rd pic is like rip off of Ferrari f430.. epic fail