PDA

View Full Version : buying online / possible i mite get scammed?

MWAKU
21-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Ok i found an item on an online website, its one of those, not so popular classified sites for modifications. "XXX".com.au" (the site, i would think, wouldn't be browsed by many honda ppl, more nissan holden n that.. The site is used to sell motor parts and vehicles. Im purchasing a set of an item for 400$. Basically the only if i have is that,

Im reluctant to give out much detail because i don't want the item, if its legit, to be taken from me LOL.. looked hard for these.

His username on that site
His email
His suburb and post code
His mobile number

This deal is going to be shipped, so i am afraid if i pay and do not receive my items. What should i do prevent myself getting scammed/ steps ?? Its kinda concerning only from that the ADs been up since april, but then i think, that its not a popular website, and not many honda ppl will be there looking for items specific.

I'll show you a list of the emails, and yeah, what do you think.

Read from bottom up :D

To: Me
Subject: RE: Item
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:55:55 +1030

Um I wasn't keen on shipping but I will get a quote nd see how much it will cost! Um slight surface scratches(on some edges) from storage but no cracks or chips! I had it done with 2pac hi filler undercoat so it will be pretty resilient from stone chips. All it needs is a rub down and your color.

Just to make sure tis is for a gen 5 prelude! cos the reason its not on my car is that the guy who sold me the ***** on ebay advertised it as a gen 4 and my car was in the shop at the time and and i sent the ***** to get sprayed without trialling it....waste of money. I went for a different look in the end.

Ne way will get some quotes for shipping nd get back to you with some hi res pics

if i could get your post code for a more accurate qote be sweet dude

---------------

To: Him
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:55:55 +1030

Hey man, the only problem is im from sydney. What kind of damamge / scratches are there anyway? any cracks?

I have to respray it anyway, so its not a big concern if there are paint scratches! Let me know man if u are willing to ship..

To: Me
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:00:40 +0000

Actually I still have the item! call me for more info or if you want to come check it out!

My number is *******

-------------------

To: Him
Subject: item
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:51:47 +1030

you still have the ****, lol i know this is a long shot but worth a try.

aaronng
21-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Get him to send via Aus Post cash on delivery. Offer to pay the aus post fee for the service ($7-10 I think)

MWAKU
21-11-2008, 06:27 PM
thanks a lot man, you pretty much covered it for me!

geeang
21-11-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm guessing its a lip or spoiler :D

sassy_fit_vtit
21-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Most courier companies have Cash on delivery for a small charge..

MWAKU
23-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Hmm yeah, but also, what if they send a fake item >__<

I am really hesitant to buy this, as its from a site, wheres theres no feedback or whatever.. and yeah, it would be ok for pickup, but sending, is a :S

He offered to give me a copy of his license (probably a photocopy) for me to hold on until i get the items.. but yeah, what do you guys think, even if i have all his details, and he sends me wrong item, or doesn't send at all.. where do i go from there? and where do i stand? How difficult, if i was to get fcuked on, to get my money back, that i have all his details

SuiJin
23-11-2008, 08:15 PM
where abouts is this guy, you know you could always get a friend to pick it up for u.

geeang
23-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Bank Deposit: if he fxcks off then theres nothing you can do except go to the police, through which you can take him to court, but then theres court costs.
Money Order: same as above
Cash on pickup: pretty much guaranteed you'll get what you're paying for unless he mugs you
Paypal: if he fxcks off then you can file a paypal dispute which will lead to you getting your money back in most cases

You know, he could always be a legit guy just selling a part :P

MWAKU
23-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Hahaha true. So how do i pay for paypal? (do i pay my paypal through is paypal? and that way he can't really do a shifty?)

nah for cash on pickup, what if he sends some peice of wood for eg -_-

no friends in melb so yeah. LOL

he could, but then he might not b

geeang
23-11-2008, 09:29 PM
If he accepts paypal, then ask him to send you an invoice or request for funds to you. That way he is sending you a request for money for a product/item being sold, if he just pisses off after that you can file a dispute with paypal, who will then freeze the money in his account until the dispute has been resolved.

If he has already withdrawn the money from his paypal account before you lodge a dispute, paypal can still freeze his account, pay you the money he owes, and simply charge that amount to his credit card or bank account.

MWAKU
23-11-2008, 09:44 PM
yeah he accepts paypal, he asked me to either send to his bank account or paypal account

aaronng
23-11-2008, 10:04 PM
If he accepts paypal, then ask him to send you an invoice or request for funds to you. That way he is sending you a request for money for a product/item being sold, if he just pisses off after that you can file a dispute with paypal, who will then freeze the money in his account until the dispute has been resolved.

If he has already withdrawn the money from his paypal account before you lodge a dispute, paypal can still freeze his account, pay you the money he owes, and simply charge that amount to his credit card or bank account.

Check first if paypal allows you to dispute non ebay purchases.

MWAKU
24-11-2008, 12:07 PM
how to find out? tried looking for something to send them the question, but can't find where..

edit* dw found it

MWAKU
25-11-2008, 06:17 PM
So he just send me an agreement, with a copy of his license

Terms and Conditions of this sale:
 The above details of the seller, is to reassure the customer they have obtained ownership of the goods in exchange for the agreed price (shipping inclusive). And can report the seller only if items aren ’ t couriered to the customers door.
 Secure payment transaction method is via Paypal money request.
 The goods will be tracked and verified when reached the customer.
 It is the customer ’ s responsibility to check upon receiving goods that they are in good condition and haven ’ t incurred any damage on transit. This will also be confirmed by courier that it was passed in the condition it was sent. But in the unfortunate event that the goods are damaged in transit it is insured by courier and the seller is to be notified within 3 days in of receiving goods so they can lodge a timely damage report.
 Insurance also covers loss of item on transit. If item is not received in the estimated 1-3 working days please contact the seller.
 Customer must be present at delivery address between the hours of 9am-5pm to receive goods.
 Refund in full may be negotiated but until the goods are returned in the condition they were sent to the seller. Customer will have to incur shipping costs!
Please sign and return copy

So all this seems legit, checked the license, he lives where stated (whitepages) and yeah, is the current one, should be no problems yeah?? Though one thing, he doesn't have a space for his name where he should sign, only mine, is that a problem?? Cause his license is attached to the same piece of paper.

mugenrr
25-11-2008, 07:49 PM
XXX.com.au !!! das a sexy toy shop
$400 dollar dildoss????? ahahaha
but seriously just give it a shot..
not all people in the world are bad assess...

defect
26-11-2008, 09:14 AM
can i have a look at the site :>