PDA

View Full Version : Air con/climate control problem

teflon
22-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi all. Long time lurker infrequent poster.

I've done a search and can't seem to find anything on this. Was driving the wife's 2003 Euro today and it made a strange noise, lasted for about 10-15 secs ... Hard to describe the noise but I'd say it was a grinding type of noise? (I initially thought the front right tyre was flat and the alloy wheel was rubbing on the road!). Then there was a strange burnt type of smell and the aircon stopped working. Just blowing hot air from the outside.

Has anyone had trouble with their aircon or climate control? Of course will get it looked at ASAP... Am hoping it's not something too expensive to fix!

Thanks in advance.

MiSloVic
22-11-2008, 08:31 PM
sounds like you had a blown compressor.

aaronng
22-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Agreed, blown compressor.

El Diablo
22-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Blown compressor, warranty should cover it if not you might be up for 500~1K of work could even be worse :( ...Was the aircon on at the time? I had this happen on a Falcon before unfortunately it was not cheap to fix :(

Ken-f
23-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Happen to mine. Fully bs. out of warranty. It was very loud sound ay...mine went for about a week then came back. After it came back, ... i tried it once more. KABLAMO!! Compressor = $1250 + Labour!! .. I got one form hondwreck, all installed sub 1000 bucks

Edit: Also, its an oily type smell ay? But its not engine oil....thats the compressors oil. Very distinct. I will never forget it.

teflon
23-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks guys... Had a feeling it might have been the compressor. What a PITA, but there's nothing worse than a brisbane summer without airconditioning so I'll start making some phone calls tomorrow.

Ken-f - where's hondwreck located? I notice you're in qld too.

Ken-f
23-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Melbourne....postage was 60 bucks. :(. As for the labour, it costed me 485 including full flush and regas.