PDA

View Full Version : Very squeeky Project Mu brake pads

EP_KING
23-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Hi,

I changed my brake pads a month ago to Project Mu Spec B (0-500 degrees celcius) and over 1000k's later, the brakes are still very squeeky. When changing my brakes, i also machined the rotors and bled the brake fluids, so when it first started squeeking, i thought it was because the rotors just machined and the pads are still new.
Has anyone used Project Mu brake pads before and have they experienced any squeek? If so, what did you do?

My friend also suggested getting the anti squeek liquid to put onto my pads as all aftermarket brake pads need it?

Thanks

aaronng
23-11-2008, 09:28 AM
The B Spec are squeaky pads. Even with anti-squeal, you will still get a sound from between the pad and the rotor.

maracer
23-11-2008, 09:35 AM
i have them on my DC5S, they squeek on normal driving, once i get more heat in them they squeek no more:p

chicken8
23-11-2008, 11:02 AM
also depends on if you bedded the brakes in properly

maybe aaron can confirm the proper method

but i was always told that on new brakes. drive up to 70km/hr. slam the brakes hard but not hard enough for ABS to kick in. and slow down to like 10km/hr then speed up straight away so that the brakes can cool off

and then u brake again in the same method. do this 7 to 10 times and that should do it

andiiso
23-11-2008, 11:34 AM
brake it harder and heat them up lol .. normal driving conditions prob not heating them up enough to stop the squeeking .. ? im guessin lol

aaronng
23-11-2008, 11:40 AM
also depends on if you bedded the brakes in properly

maybe aaron can confirm the proper method

but i was always told that on new brakes. drive up to 70km/hr. slam the brakes hard but not hard enough for ABS to kick in. and slow down to like 10km/hr then speed up straight away so that the brakes can cool off

and then u brake again in the same method. do this 7 to 10 times and that should do it

It won't help in this case, because B Spec are cheapish performance street pads which squeal.

maracer
23-11-2008, 12:27 PM
brake it harder and heat them up lol .. normal driving conditions prob not heating them up enough to stop the squeeking .. ? im guessin lol

YEP,
That’s RIGHT.
Driving normal, they squeal, most of the time.
Braking harder like on the track, no squeal, at all.

As aaronng stated “because B Spec are cheapish performance street pads which squeal”
Sometimes you don’t know these things until you try them for your self.

aaronng
23-11-2008, 12:38 PM
It is usually 2 types of pads which make noise. The cheap performance pad which squeals, and the high performance racing pads which groan.

For anyone who wants performance pads on the street eventhough there are street pads out that that give you more than enough stopping power to lock your brakes and engage ABS, then the squeal is something you have to live with.

SNKS2K
23-11-2008, 07:00 PM
I have project mu pads on my car too.

They were squeaky when they were cold for the first 4 months.

After but after i took the car on the track. the squeak went away.
So may you just have to wear them in abit.

good luck man.

ROLLED
25-11-2008, 08:42 AM
i had the pmu HC+ pads and they squealed hard!

the only way to stop it is to brake harder and more suddenly...I think they only squeal when u brake gently right?

aaronng
25-11-2008, 08:54 AM
I will be trying out Project Mu's midrange pads (NR) pretty soon, I hope. So I'll report back if those squeal as well.

EP_KING
25-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Yeah, it pretty much only happens when i brake gently. I've been braking hard lately and there isnt much of a squeal. THe reason why I chose Project Mu because they have more bite compared to OEM brakes at the same price. Besides the squealing, im pretty happy with the brakes. Hopefully the squealing will slowly disappear as the pads wear out. Its just abit embarassing when your braking at an intersection full of people waiting to cross the road....but as you guys say, i just need to deal with it.