PDA

View Full Version : Just instaaled a new PCV System and CAI (Back Firing'n More)

Lukezen27
23-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Hey Guys

I just installed the PCV system and cold air piping and now my cars ****ed//
http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/PCV_turbo_2fit.jpg

http://www.doubledynasystems.com/Car/new_piping3.jpg

Now my cars back firing and spluttering at high RPMs

I've backed off the boost to about 8psi but its still happening..

Anyone got any idea?

Thanks

beeza
23-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Subscribed! :)

bennjamin
23-11-2008, 03:53 PM
try looping it to the OEM route (blue pipe goes back to the inlet manifold) and see if that helps

[ricer]
23-11-2008, 04:01 PM
i had the car set up like this apart from the moroso thingy u got going on and it was fine

is there a one way valve in it or something? maybe the hoses are hooked up wrong

TODA AU
23-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Can we have a better photo of what you've done?
Of note per your description, both pipes will vent to the turbo intake,
No air will enter the engine & flow through as your diagram predicts.
There is no manifold vacuum to facilitate this.
My thoughts on what you've done so far,
I would add the female 3/8NPT weld on to the tank as discussed,
+ Fill the tank with fuel proof foam (I have some at the shop if you need some)
+ fit a 1 way vale & drain back to sump on bottom,
Remove the PCV valve, replace with a straight through union,
Vent the rear of engine & rocker cover to Morosso tank,
Top of morroso tank back to inlet of turbo.

Before you go any further, check nothing silly has occured like the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator has come off etc...
Any recent changes to plugs or leads?
If everything is all good,
Is there any smoke when the missfire occurs?
Is it a lean missfire or rich?
Lean is a sharp crackle rich is a deeper sound....
(Unfortunatly that's a hard one to explain without actually showing you)

Also, since you've been playing around near the thermostat... (other thread)
The earth there is the main ECU earth,
Just check it's tight. :)

TODA AU
23-11-2008, 04:18 PM
That's because the red line in your diagram should be under pressure from the outlet in the rocker cover so pressure from the engine crankcase goes out and into the intake. The way you have it set up now it's seeing VACUUM not pressure. Hook the blue line from the rocker cover to one side of the catch can and discard the purple line altogether. It should be rocker cover port, catch can, engine port, no need to go to the intake at the turbo. Make sure the dry sump can doesn't have a valve in it so air can come in or go out either side. Make sure you have a stock PCV valve at the intake manifold port. Your car is running farked up because it's WAY LEAN do not drive until you fix it.
Just some background,
The original can we supplied was suposed to vent to atmosphere,
But Luke being Luke wanted full compliance with his engineer's report, hence the vent to inlet of turbo.
The can is just a generic morosso dry sump breather tank.
There is no valve inside, only a simple tube + double sliced welch plug baffle system to vent out the top.
We genereally add fuel proof foam & the one way drain back for zero greif.
This solves even the heaviest of breathing engines.
I agree though, it's unlikley the catch can is the true culprit here.
The engine is now running lean or rich (likley lean as you say) somehow.

Lukezen27
23-11-2008, 04:25 PM
try looping it to the OEM route (blue pipe goes back to the inlet manifold) and see if that helps

Swapping over the two pre-intake ones works but that's not how it should....

TODA AU
23-11-2008, 04:27 PM

No...
This will fill the sump with boost... :p

It would be purple to intake manifold, but the PCV would need to be between the tank & the manifold.

Lukezen27
23-11-2008, 04:39 PM
If I unplug both pipes for the re-intake it all works fine

Maybe I should put a PCV one way value back in the PCV port?

Lukezen27
23-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Here's a few more photos

http://www.doubledynasystems.com/Car/new_piping4.jpg

http://www.doubledynasystems.com/Car/new_piping5.jpg

http://www.doubledynasystems.com/Car/new_piping6.jpg

Goes
PCV Valve to side barb in catch can (PCV Valve is hollowed out)

Top can bard to pre-turbo intake piping with the bard on the piping facing to turbo (vacuum)

Rocker cove to pre-turbo intake piping with the bard on the piping facing to air filter (pressure)

[ricer]
23-11-2008, 06:58 PM
is the hose from the can to the block squashed or just looks like it is on the photo?

Benson
23-11-2008, 08:16 PM
looks right from the pics.

Lukezen27
23-11-2008, 08:20 PM
;2008983']is the hose from the can to the block squashed or just looks like it is on the photo?

Just looks that way

There all the same and round

bennjamin
23-11-2008, 09:03 PM
if its hooked correctly one would assume the back firing and more up top would be excess carbon or oil vapor in the combustion mix - have you replaced your PCV of recent Luke ? If its still the old honda item from no doubt new its probably in dire need of a replacement

TODA AU
23-11-2008, 10:02 PM
I notice the drain fitting from the bottom has been added to the side where you've fitted the weld on 3/8 NPT bung.
So what's in the bottom now & where does it go?

Lukezen27
24-11-2008, 06:26 AM
I notice the drain fitting from the bottom has been added to the side where you've fitted the weld on 3/8 NPT bung.
So what's in the bottom now & where does it go?

Just used a better plug with an 0-ring built onto it but its still blocked off

if its hooked correctly one would assume the back firing and more up top would be excess carbon or oil vapor in the combustion mix - have you replaced your PCV of recent Luke ? If its still the old honda item from no doubt new its probably in dire need of a replacement

PCV is removed or drilled out for this setup... I've drilled my out

Limbo
24-11-2008, 03:58 PM
shouldn't make any difference if your PCV is drill or not. Its prob better to have a good PCV so the air doesn't go back into the head, but from the head side it should be pressurised and the intake side depressurised.

Limbo
24-11-2008, 04:42 PM
ok i think i know what's wrong. Luke, the Blue line in the picture is supose to goto the PCV, looking from your setup you've got it to the intake manifold, so your leaking boost thru your catch can. That's where the problem is coming from.

I believe the PCV is lower near the block, someone got a pick of the PCV location?

Lukezen27
24-11-2008, 05:24 PM
ok i think i know what's wrong. Luke, the Blue line in the picture is supose to goto the PCV, looking from your setup you've got it to the intake manifold, so your leaking boost thru your catch can. That's where the problem is coming from.

I believe the PCV is lower near the block, someone got a pick of the PCV location?

Na that manifold intake is blocked off

I think the problems fixed anyway...

Replaced the pre-turbo to rocker cover with a slightly bigger hosing and I didn't have any problems on the way home but I'll wait till later tonight to really hit it..

I'm going to put the stock PCV valve back as Limbo mentioned

bennjamin
24-11-2008, 06:23 PM

its located directly on the inlet manifold runners. To replace you pull it upward and out with some pliers etc.

btw replace your pcv with a new oem one as i told you months ago luke.

Ive heard of higher boost setups running a direct line from the oil separator to the inlet manifold OR toa catch system like above -

Lukezen27
24-11-2008, 06:28 PM
its located directly on the inlet manifold runners. To replace you pull it upward and out with some pliers etc.

btw replace your pcv with a new oem one as i told you months ago luke.

Ive heard of higher boost setups running a direct line from the oil separator to the inlet manifold OR toa catch system like above -

Yeah if I was not lazy I would have run the hose off the oil separator (Black Box) is it flows better..

I have a new PCV in right now.........

Going to test drive her soon and see

Lukezen27
24-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Bang all good

Right to red line at about 8psi

So if I up the boost back to 10psi will I need a bigger hose between teh pre-turbo intake and the rocker cover?

Limbo
25-11-2008, 02:34 AM
yeah the breather on top of the catch can was not actually going to vent atomphere. its more just the fact that NSW cops love to pick on things they don't understand.
Luke being Luke, wants everything within the legal system even when some of them don't make sense ;)

Anyways, i've got a new idea of hiding the filter on the catch can now ;)

Lukezen27
28-11-2008, 10:44 AM
What do you guys think about steel wool in the catch can?

That's what the US boys do

Or adding stainless steel ball bearings

Weq
28-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Steel wool is best. Catch can without any baffles/wool is pretty much just bling. Unless u have a nissan. lol.

Lukezen27
28-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Steel wool is best. Catch can without any baffles/wool is pretty much just bling. Unless u have a nissan. lol.

Cool

My can is baffled... how much wool do I put in?

TODA AU
28-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Yawn... That fuel proof faom is still here for you...
It's easier than the steel wool to put in...
You've already welded the top though, so you will probably have issues... LOL

Lukezen27
28-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Yawn... That fuel proof faom is still here for you...
It's easier than the steel wool to put in...
You've already welded the top though, so you will probably have issues... LOL

lol yeah

I'll see you tomorrow.

I thinking the steel wool would be easier to get in now I've welded up everthing!

markoJEK1
29-11-2008, 10:16 AM
who much are the PCV valves going for these days?

Lukezen27
29-11-2008, 05:45 PM
who much are the PCV valves going for these days?

Don't know

I'm not using one anymore :p

Update

All good after return