PDA

View Full Version : Setting recommendations on coilovers

buzz
23-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey pplz

i dont know if someone has done a post on this but anyone want to share there settings they have for their coilovers.

Car: Honda Civic FD1
Type of coilover: Pedders
Damper Setting: 25 clicks (out of 30) All round

Sweeet :D

GreekWarrior
25-11-2008, 09:38 AM
sounds good, probably also add spring rate

Car: Honda Integra GSi
Type of coilover: Tein Super Streets
Spring rate:
Front: 8kg/mm
Rear: 4kg/mm
Damper Setting:
Front: 6 clicks from hardest
Rear: 8 clicks from hardest

chargeR
25-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Car: DC5 Integra Type R
Type of coilover: Mugen N1
Spring rate:
Front: 14kg/mm
Rear: 24kg/mm
Damper Setting: "Fast"

Seriously though I have never adjusted my dampers and I don't intend to. Dampers should be matched to springs and the adjustment range should be plotted on a shock dyno to have any hope of adjusting them to a point that will give the handling behaviour desired. Most anyone that posts in this thread will have simply adjusted them until they feel nice and they will probably be the same people that think that when you head to the track you should put your dampers on full stiff for max handling powahh.

Meh.

hondavti25
25-11-2008, 03:30 PM
How do you find the pedders coilovers and what sorta pricing where they?

string
25-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Dampers should be matched to springs

What about swaybars? They are springs controlled by the dampers, how are you factoring them into this matching process?

chargeR
25-11-2008, 04:49 PM
What about swaybars? They are springs controlled by the dampers, how are you factoring them into this matching process?

Ohhh you got me there. Obviously you also need enough damping to control the spring rate added by the sway bars :).

What I was trying to convey by saying "matched" is that most of the jdm yo off the shelf coilovers will adjust both bound and rebound together which really only gives a narrow range of adjustment where the damping will be ballpark in either bound or rebound. At all other adjustment points the spring will be either underdamped and bouncy or overdamped and crashy.

I really know very little about dampers which is why I leave them alone :p.

buzz
25-11-2008, 10:06 PM
yep the pedders are good... i checked them out and they are made great... feel of ride is solid which i love... i still need to play around with the dampers but overall im happy...

set me back installed for about 2k

e240
26-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Well, then you go down to the circuit and you'll find that what damping setting works on one does not work on another despite having the same spring rates.

"Originally Posted by string
What about swaybars? They are springs controlled by the dampers, how are you factoring them into this matching process?"

Not sure what you mean by that. Sway bars are usually connected to suspension arms to control roll.

I would think you'd figure out your spring rates and damping first and then adjust the rollbars to finetune.

string
27-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Not sure what you mean by that. Sway bars are usually connected to suspension arms to control roll.

Suspension arms which are connected to the damper :)

BusterSonic12
30-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Car: DC5 Integra Type R
Type of coilover: Zeal, Function X
Spring rate:
Front: 12kg/mm
Rear: 12kg/mm
Damper Setting: F 18 from the softest, R 15 from the softest

BaSsMaXiMuS
06-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Car: S2000
Type of coilover: Ohlins/Swift Springs (37 D&R adjustments)
Spring rate:
Front: 12kg/mm
Rear: 10kg/mm
Damper Setting: F 7 from the hardest, R 4 from the hardest