PDA

View Full Version : Baffled Sump

beeza
24-11-2008, 11:49 AM
I will be tracking my car on street tyres for a while then semi's.

Is this mod something you should only need doing if using semi's?

dsp26
24-11-2008, 11:54 AM
always a 'good insurance mod' but depends how many G's or how much body roll you get on high speed corners

fatboyz39
24-11-2008, 12:17 PM
dont think you'll need it.

beeza
24-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I see,then I would much rather do it,that's forsure.

What would be the cheapest and best way to do this?

beeza
24-11-2008, 12:19 PM
dont think you'll need it.

If it's an insurance type thing and cheap I may aswell but shouldn't I,even if it's not needed?

SPEEDCORE
24-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Can you weld Beez?

beeza
24-11-2008, 12:27 PM
I haven't been taught,no,unfortunately..

Should be able to get it done cheap though.

AKmotorworks
24-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Do I need to fly there and kick u in the nuts? Stop wasting time, get out on the track asap!

In all honesty brettles, you wont need it, so dont stress get out there and have fun :)

SPEEDCORE
24-11-2008, 12:40 PM
If your wanting to do it cheap... find a place that make a precut plate (might have to look to the states).

Alot of these will not come with a lip... get the welder to get some SS of similar thickness and make a lip that goes down towards the bottom of the sump around the pickup. Some people say the lip is not needed.... I prefer to have it.

NOTE: I only mentioned SS because it is the same material mine was made of. I prefer trapdoor style sumps.. but from a cost perspective, the above would be your cheapest solution since that is what you are looking for.

I would forget about going through the hassle if you are tracking with street tyres... check oil level before every session will be sufficient IMO.

beeza
24-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Do I need to fly there and kick u in the nuts? Stop wasting time, get out on the track asap!

In all honesty brettles, you wont need it, so dont stress get out there and have fun :)

No but if ya got 2 grand,I'll take that :p

No use tracking the car with the stock shocks...

Money money money.

Did I ever mention I'm doing all this on a VERY tight budget :p

Awesome SPEEDY,thanks mate.

Thanks for everyone's help :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nd55
24-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Beeza,

search for 'shimming, oil relief valve, and d16', there's a simple mod to increase the oil pressure on the d16's.

http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36600&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=0

A simple mod/accessory is a 'Morosso Accumulator II'.

Another cheap (not so simple though) mod is to fit a D16Z6 oil pump to the d16Y. You will lose the dip stick, however.

> Did I ever mention I'm doing all this on a VERY tight budget

It's assumed if you're running a D16.

Nick.

PS.

I've not had any issues, although I can say I've seen the oil pressure light come on in sweeping corners.
You have to look for it, cause you'll normally be looking out the window (obviously).
Oiling is the D16Y's achilles heel.

> check oil level before every session

x2.

beeza
24-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Wicked Nick!

I remember reading about that.I look into that.So that would be a beneficial mod for my car,I mean it's not just for boosted cars?

The Morosso Accumulator II looks sweet but I dare say it's not needed on my car.

"The Accumulator is tapped to the pressure side of the engine’s oiling system. When the engine is running, oil pressure forces reserve oil into the accumulator and compresses the air ahead.

If oil pressure should suddenly drop because of hard acceleration, severe cornering or hard braking, the air pressure immediately sends oil to the main galleries. When the danger is over and the pump is once again primed with oil, the oil pressure forces oil back into the Accumulator where it is ready for the next emergency."

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/images/23900_inst.pdf

A oil cooler kit would be beneficial too right but optional yeah?

I'm concerned about the automatic transmission but if it dies,I'm prepared for that.Is my only option here a Automatic transmission oil cooler kit?

Sorry Andy but I have to be sure I have covered all bases...I would hate to get up the track and someone say 'Haven't you got a blah blah blah in there' and I'm like 'nup' and then he's like 'well now your f#@ked haha' :)

nd55
24-11-2008, 02:47 PM
> So that would be a beneficial mod for my car,I mean it's not just for boosted cars?

Shimming the oil relief valve?
Very cheap and simple.

However, on it's own it won't do too much.

If the oil pump starves, then there's no oil to generate pressure.

> The Morosso Accumulator II looks sweet but I dare say it's not needed on my car.

For you to decide if you need it. I'd say there aren't too many D16's anywhere running such toys.

However, check the price. It's gotta be the best value oil system mod out there.

There are three models of the Morosso accumulators. The other two are very $$$$ and only suited to race car applications. The Accumulator II however is a passive design, and for $US75 can't be beat.

> A oil cooler kit would be beneficial too right but optional yeah?

An engine oil cooler?
This would be my least favourite upgrade.

> a Automatic transmission oil cooler kit?

EK automatic civic's already have a transmission cooler and a double row radiator as opposed to the single row radiator supplied with manuals.

Nick.

SPEEDCORE
24-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Man all this to take an auto D with street rubber on the track.... its not needed dude.

Service the car (oils), check coolant, pump tyres and fang the bloody thing around the track.

I promiss that if anything lets go on the track.. it was going to do it rather soon, reguardless of you taking it on the circuit or not.

Limbo
24-11-2008, 03:14 PM
top up the oil alittle by a few mm to help.

baffled sump is good
oil cooler is good
But out on the track, i don't think the D will really pull that much power to do any damage.

bennjamin
24-11-2008, 03:22 PM
beeza , if you are doing this omn a budget why not jsut stic to goo d street tyres ?
Id rather get good ant driving the car , than simply "holding on".
Ifyou have a big car with big mods ro have the experience and want to get those tenths out of your ride , get semis or slicks.

But on a daily or noob driver , its False confidence for real life driving....

Limbo
24-11-2008, 03:24 PM
might look into that moroso thing. Anyone got a link for it?

SPEEDCORE
24-11-2008, 03:42 PM
But out on the track, i don't think the D will really pull that much power to do any damage.

In reality its got nothing to do with power.... you could be down on power having lower speeds on the straights, yet be pulling the same cornering speeds to warrant baffling of the sump.

However... in this instance, I believe Beez would benefit more from just getting seat time than spend money on mods that are not really needed... at this stage at least.

beeza
24-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys!

Nick - Doh! I forgot I it already has the transmission oil cooler...

SPEEDY - The anticipation is killing me haha.Too much thinking...Andy is correct (offcoarse :) ) So that's great to hear.
It looks like I've covered (almost) everything thoroughly :)

Limbo - A few mm's over the max line yeah?

Benny - Thanks for your great advice mate.

I still am a bit concerned about oil starvation.I mean it's all about hooking the corners hard...

AKmotorworks
24-11-2008, 05:24 PM
stop being a girl brettles, get out there :)

beeza
24-11-2008, 05:25 PM
ahahahahaaaaaaa!!

BIG SMILES :) :) :)

fatboyz39
24-11-2008, 06:07 PM
just track it as is. D series motors are cheap.

beeza
24-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah,true that aye.

Cheers,really handy to know and remember hehehe