PDA

View Full Version : How easy to change water pump?

Nuttz
06-11-2003, 11:15 PM
Hi all

I have just noticed my engine was leaking coolant, right at the belt area most likely the water pump is dying. I'm just wondering if it is easy to do myself or do i have to a mechanic to lift the whole engine out.

BLKCRX
06-11-2003, 11:24 PM
timing belt has to come off... thats the hardest part.... and its a big job !!! and something you need expereince with !!

Regards James

joneblaze
06-11-2003, 11:57 PM
....yeah, wat james said. when i got major service month or two ago they informed me i needed a new water pump. i watched them do the labour and its pretty tucked in there, u gotta do a fair bit to change em as far as i could tell..... like they had the head off and were changing my timing belt too ....

jon

tinkerbell
07-11-2003, 10:00 AM
fug! what sort of car?

i saw the title and was getting ready to come on here and say - yeah, it is a piece of piss, takes a couple of hours...

you need a few tools and half a brain, plus the service manual - no need to pull the engine (unless you have BIG hands)...

if you want the service manual - PM me...

joneblaze - i would be v.concerend about a workshop who takes the head off to change a friggin waterpump, LOL!!!

joneblaze
07-11-2003, 11:02 AM
hehe... sorry tinkerbell... i was jus giving my personal newbo experience. i spose i should have said "when i got my waterpump replaced they were changing my timing belt at the same time.." :P
sorry for any confusion

Nuttz
07-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Its a EG Vti Hatch.

Looks as thought the water pump is right in the middle of the pulleys. Doesnt look easy.

Another question. The coolant in the car has leaked a bit and the coolant bottle goes back to minimum everytime i top it up. Is it safe to drive the car?? Well, actaully I've been still driving it around, but kept an eye on the temp needle and it never goes over half.

wynode
07-11-2003, 10:57 PM
If you are loosing water bit by bit and its comming from the water pump area it most likely is the pump.

I'd get it changed ASAP, as one day you will start her up and water will just literally start poring out of the waterpump. Keep topping up the water+coolant, but untill you change your waterpump its going to keep loosing water.

stocky
08-11-2003, 01:28 PM
Joneblaze, u mean valve cover right?
its about 150-160 installed on the civic vti

Setanta
08-11-2003, 03:24 PM
If you have to ask how to do it my suggestion would be to take it to a good mechanic instead. Pulling timin belts etc is not for the new at mechanics.

Otherwise its fiddly but reasonably straightforward. Put aside half a day to do it and pay up the medical insurance to cover busted knuckles (from punching a wall in frustration :P ).

ALLMTR
08-11-2003, 04:44 PM
Yeah basically if you have to ask, I'd get it done by someone else. People rave about Hanny's or Good performance.

If your in Sydney of course

Edit: Which your not :wink: