PDA

View Full Version : Any Common problems wit FD civic.

dupac->
28-11-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm looking at to purchase a FD Civic. Just afew questions to current owners of FD's out there. I'm looking at to get the civic sport. i know absolutely jack shit about this car.

- What common problems do they have if any?
- I noticed that they are 2.0L? are they k series? twin cam? (real noob shit right here)
- Body wise, the differences in the Civic Sport and the VTi-L? (lip, wheels and things like that)i noticed the civic sport has wheels similiar if not the same to the ep3r. but i've seen other civic sports with different standard wheels.

- only the sports came in 2.0L? anything under the sports came 1.8L right?

but yeah.. tell me what you know! any information would be great!

BC8
28-11-2008, 12:23 PM
this might apply to the sports model

but most common problems on the new civic 06+ to current is the front drivers/passengers side windows not winding up and getting jammed. I've had this problem and so have many other owners. Quick fix with silicone spray or a quick fix by the dealer.

The 2.0L i believe is the detuned version seen in the DC5, the first generation to current integra coupes. Sports are 2.0L and the vti/vtil are 1.8

Body wise is the same throughout the civic range. The lip/body kit etc is the Honda OEM bodykit as optional. (side skirts, front lip, rear, spoiler). Leather is standard on the sport and the extra airbags etc

The EP3R rims are identical, same stud pattern and the EP3R rims can straight swap onto a FD2. The 06 sports model came with a different set of rims and later got changed in 07+ to current.

hope that helps!

I'm looking at to purchase a FD Civic. Just afew questions to current owners of FD's out there. I'm looking at to get the civic sport. i know absolutely jack shit about this car.

- I noticed that they are 2.0L? are they k series? twin cam? (real noob shit right here)
- Body wise, the differences in the Civic Sport and the VTi-L? (lip, wheels and things like that)i noticed the civic sport has wheels similiar if not the same to the ep3r. but i've seen other civic sports with different standard wheels.

but yeah.. tell me what you know! any information would be great!

tmy
28-11-2008, 12:28 PM
06 Civic Sport here,

Had problems with the CD Player, cd's just wouldn't eject anymore. Was fixed under warrenty.

Other then that no problems at all.

The 06 Sports model has the different rims to the ep3r.

markCivicVti
28-11-2008, 12:32 PM
If your going for the sports it better be for the extra safety or leather interior. The engine is detuned for "drivability" (lol) and general K20 mods won't be a straight fit (reason escapes me). Having said that there are the standrd mods for the FD2.

Yep the 2.0 is also DOHC/twin-cam.

As a previous poster said, the only real widespread issue is the front electric windows getting stuck.

dupac->
28-11-2008, 12:33 PM
this might apply to the sports model

but most common problems on the new civic 06+ to current is the front drivers/passengers side windows not winding up and getting jammed. I've had this problem and so have many other owners. Quick fix with silicone spray or a quick fix by the dealer.

The 2.0L i believe is the detuned version seen in the DC5, the first generation to current integra coupes. Sports are 2.0L and the vti/vtil are 1.8

Body wise is the same throughout the civic range. The lip/body kit etc is the Honda OEM bodykit as optional. (side skirts, front lip, rear, spoiler). Leather is standard on the sport and the extra airbags etc

The EP3R rims are identical, same stud pattern and the EP3R rims can straight swap onto a FD2. The 06 sports model came with a different set of rims and later got changed in 07+ to current.

hope that helps!

that made it much clearer..
07 looks much better than 06.
maybe just small things but yeah.. made it very clear :thumbsup: thanks

06 Civic Sport here,

Had problems with the CD Player, cd's just wouldn't eject anymore. Was fixed under warrenty.

The 06 Sports model has the different rims to the ep3r.

:thumbsup: +1 to you all

dupac->
28-11-2008, 12:38 PM
yeah my EK passenger window is abit shithouse aswell..

stupid honda.

lol

silly spray works wonders.

not planning to mod the FD engine wise.

but prefer to buy the fd with lip kit and all.. better than buying them afterwards which will cost me a shat loads just for the kits.

thats prob why i rather choose civic sport over the vti or the vti-L.

and would rather the 2.0L motor.

but yeah.. seems like an overall good car..

is there alot of aftermarket support for this car?

suspension/coil overs?

DropBear
28-11-2008, 01:21 PM
The most common problem with an FD2 Civic Sport??

It isn't as awesome as one of these puppies...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/HeWhoLaughs/2008_honda_civic_mugen_rr_1.jpg

:cool: ;)

stylish.
28-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Lack of torque below 6000 rpm! Test drive it first to see if the civic is really for you. I too was planning to buy a new civic, but when I test drove it, I was dissappointed...

markCivicVti
28-11-2008, 02:55 PM
but prefer to buy the fd with lip kit and all.. better than buying them afterwards which will cost me a shat loads just for the kits.

Of course you can get the honda lip kit for the vti/vti-l from the dealer. Getting it aftermarket is much cheaper anyway. Besides the Honda lip kit is conservative and look small compared to mugen. Your choice tho.

and would rather the 2.0L motor.

You did know that a vti matches sport 0-100 right? Honestly if your gonna get the sport get it for the interior leather and extra safety features.

And yes there's plenty to chose from in terms of coilovers and springs.

dupac->
28-11-2008, 03:44 PM
yeah? is the vti 1.8 dohc or sohc?

yeah i want the leather n stuff..

but on carsales isnt MUCH of a difference in price.. 2-3k so prefer go sports for now..

but vti-L is an option.. power wise dont really mind.. as its more of a cruiser got my ek4 still to rip around

black8thgen
28-11-2008, 03:48 PM
sports is slower 0-100 because of all the extras u get.. sunroof, airbags, leather, etc. if your looking to thrash it or do some performance mods, take the vti or vti-l, otherwise the sports is really nice with leather interior and extra safety features. Visual and body mods.. wont make a difference with which model you have since body is constant throughout the range.

edmbranch
28-11-2008, 06:09 PM
sports is slower 0-100 because of all the extras u get.. sunroof, airbags, leather, etc. if your looking to thrash it or do some performance mods, take the vti or vti-l, otherwise the sports is really nice with leather interior and extra safety features. Visual and body mods.. wont make a difference with which model you have since body is constant throughout the range.

i agree, i'd be happy with with the k20z in the fd1...

rk 86 wa
29-11-2008, 12:44 AM

hey :)

common problems:

- windows delubing (quick fix at honda with silicon spray)
- apperntly panels popping out (never had that problem myself)
- appernt cd stacker cd ganking haha i.e wont let you have ur cd back :P (in the sports according to someone on here)
- my biggest problem is the lack of parts available in australia :( haha

engine: we get the k20z2 in our civic sports i believe and quick fact sheet from wiki.

2006- Honda Civic (JDM)

* Displacement: 1,998 cc (121.9 cu in)
* Compression: 9.6:1
* Power: 155 hp (114 kW) @ 6000 rpm
* Torque: 139 ft·lbf (188 N·m) @ 4500 rpm
* Redline: 6800 rpm

which is of course dohc. however due to some differences apperntly a k20a head wont be an easy swap :(

other differences:

sun roof, leather, climate control, more air bags, 17 inch (ep) rims, fog lights, exhaust tip finisher thingies, 6 cd stacker all standard

IIRC i think the sport comes with a rear sway bar aswell (the fd1 i.e vti and vtil only come with a front sway bar)

all the civics i think come with the same brakes (282 on front not sure about rears)

hope that helps :)

Shimian
29-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Theres already a thread on FD problems

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67030

dupac->
29-11-2008, 02:33 PM
good stuff dude..

thanks..!

ekdez
01-12-2008, 03:16 PM
i own a late 08' model,

found out after installing my kit and put some 19" on.. that lowering my car will be a problem.. fd's rears cant go all that low cos of suspension set upat the rear but the front can go real low..

so it wont be the same as your ek.. i had an ek real low like yours.. 4cm off the ground..

windows were a problem with mine... only happened for a short time.. then it fixed itself..

hardly n e mod's around .. well ones that are easy to get!

gerard
02-12-2008, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=tmy;2016543]06 Civic Sport here,

Ditto that

bodaas
02-12-2008, 05:52 PM
i got the vti model,,,

i have never had problem with the car so far,,,very reliable

but i m not sure about performance though,,, it designed for family and fuel economy,, which is :thumbsup:,, unless if we talking about fd2R

if you thinking to turbocharge upgrade,, i prefer buy civic sport,,, manual for sure

SPEEDCORE
03-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Had enough of the EK for daily Du?

Fair enough mate.... recently got a FD2 in red to replace the EK as a DD.. best move we have ever done.

LonePhantom
04-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Just wondering, I'm considering buying Civic Sport in the new year. Have people found that the later model ones are having less problems, or are these still pretty standard fare.

rk 86 wa
04-12-2008, 01:31 PM
about the rears going low, how much lower did you want to go?

i have 17 inch, 225 45 r17 tires and they tuck up inside the guards nicely with about a 2-2.5" dump

also the camber on the rears allows for no scrubbing

black8thgen
04-12-2008, 02:59 PM
is your camber custom or stock camber?

bodaas
04-12-2008, 03:39 PM
so it wont be the same as your ek.. i had an ek real low like yours.. 4cm off the ground..

fd can do the same, just use smaller rims,, i show you mine later how low to the ground later

dupac->
05-12-2008, 11:52 PM
haha sorry lads ended up buying a euro
lol

I heart the SSS
05-12-2008, 11:56 PM
HAHAHHA after picking all their brains you do that to them.

Slack kent.

dupac->
05-12-2008, 11:59 PM
lol...

well yeah fd's are hard to find at a good price.

picked up a 04 euro 34000kms mint condition not even one dent.. for $21500.

with all oem lip kit and that little duckbill wing on the boot.

lovin life..

I heart the SSS
06-12-2008, 12:01 AM
PICSORBAN!

Good pickup though.. I hope it's white :D

/ end hijack of thread lolol.

stylish.
06-12-2008, 11:09 AM
^^ was it a luxury? If it was, that's a pretty good price then!

I test drove a used cl9 before test driving the new fd civic, I was way more impressed with the cl9. The civic was a bit... underwhelming!

Anyways, Congrats on the purchase.

dupac->
06-12-2008, 01:52 PM
nah not lux man..

the lux that i have been looking at havent been "ideal"

either too many kms... or a shit colour... or AUTO... and they want more money than their worth... but yeah
loving it!!

dansta
18-08-2010, 04:18 PM
i have a 2010 civic sport with modula body kit , it also has fine tuned sports suspension, bigger tyres, i raced a vti and beat by about a car length,

tinymoon
19-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Civic VTIL 09 model: Interior panel (ventialtion trim at small window) popping out (replaced at Honda under waranty 2 times to fix this problem)
Tyre noise and road noise (fair a bit) (fixable with dynamat and other tyre type)

Overall: very satisfied

stanz86
19-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Just so u guys know, for fd owners, go measure the left side of your car and the right side of your car. I went in for my 20k service today and told them about this problem, asking if the suspension was stuffed, they denied, saying that well some people have even more lobsided cars such as euros and other civics. "its just bad luck mate" was pretty much their answer to me. Only noticed it because one side of my wheels are scrubbing, so just take a look i gues

Samm928
19-08-2010, 11:13 PM
bought my fd1 bnew.. its been driven 28,000kms since. (in 4 years) just to the local shops etc.

fuel pump is fuKD. electrically keeps blowing my fuses. so now i had to get a new fuel pump.

drove to the mechanics to check on my dc2r. and then wouldnt turn on because fuse blew. so both of my cars are in the workshop :(

xcube
20-08-2010, 01:11 AM
stanz86 .... is yours left hand side higher than the other side?

stanz86
20-08-2010, 01:29 AM
driver side is lower, other side is higher

xcube
20-08-2010, 09:51 AM
same here...... i always think is the aftermarket suspension not install properly........

stanz86
21-08-2010, 09:13 PM
im still on stock suspension lol

ekay1
22-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Anyone have this problem of when you drive into a putt hole, and your holding onto the brake, some kinda of bar under the engine or somewhere around there seems to shake and vibrate making a weird noise?

Stig
22-08-2010, 01:56 PM
its your ABS kicking in, the ABS on the fd civic tends to cut in too early

ekay1
22-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Ohhh i seee. Why does it make a rattling noise though? i thought my car had a problem lol

Stig
22-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Just so u guys know, for fd owners, go measure the left side of your car and the right side of your car. I went in for my 20k service today and told them about this problem, asking if the suspension was stuffed, they denied, saying that well some people have even more lobsided cars such as euros and other civics. "its just bad luck mate" was pretty much their answer to me. Only noticed it because one side of my wheels are scrubbing, so just take a look i gues

its normal, every fd civic drivers side is lower than the passenger side

Stig
22-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Ohhh i seee. Why does it make a rattling noise though? i thought my car had a problem lol

like a vibration rattling noise from the brake pedal?

ekay1
22-08-2010, 02:00 PM
like a vibration rattling noise from the brake pedal?

yeahhh

Stig
22-08-2010, 02:03 PM
i'm pretty sure its just the brake calipers when the ABS system kicks in

ekay1
22-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks stig!

tinymoon
25-08-2010, 10:39 PM
its your ABS kicking in, the ABS on the fd civic tends to cut in too early

Thanks a lot. i was questioning what happen when i noticed it weeks ago

threesix
26-08-2010, 08:15 AM
its normal, every fd civic drivers side is lower than the passenger side

why is that?? should be the other way around imo

kilk86
31-08-2010, 09:52 PM
i have same problem!! feels like the break is gonna fall off.

Stig
31-08-2010, 09:54 PM
why is that?? should be the other way around imo

no idea, people say its the handbrake pulling the RHS down but imo the whole RHS is lower, inc front, so i beg to differ

groupwest
26-10-2010, 12:13 PM
the cabin noise from the tyre/wheels area is horrible. OZ roads have many those bumpy(black strips)/ uneven surface. Try driving on there, it feels like you have a flat tyre. I have made this complain to Honda. No matter how good a car is, if it is noisy, it feels like a cheap car.

DuffyFD
26-10-2010, 12:28 PM
the cabin noise from the tyre/wheels area is horrible. OZ roads have many those bumpy(black strips)/ uneven surface. Try driving on there, it feels like you have a flat tyre. I have made this complain to Honda. No matter how good a car is, if it is noisy, it feels like a cheap car.

More sound deadening? which would mean the car is heavier, and that's worse for a 1.8 - 2L NA engine, weight makes a remarkable difference to performance

threesix
26-10-2010, 12:45 PM
just wait till you take the plastic out of the wheel archs. WHAT!?!??!! I CANT HEAR YOU!!!

DuffyFD
26-10-2010, 01:06 PM
I bought my civic around 5000kms ago, and the breaks have been squealing since I go it. I've read a fair bit from here about this being common, and my first course of action is to change the pads. That should fix the squeal unless I need the discs machined..

sound about right?

Stig
26-10-2010, 01:44 PM

I find the civic is alright, you're paying for a honda not a bmw

FDBenni
26-10-2010, 02:00 PM
yeh true hey.. the civic is pretty good for road noise, its not a luxury car
maybe you have cheap tyres on? tyres make a huge difference to road noise
brake squeal is common aswell, but not a mechanical problem, goes away if you get new pads or more aggressive pads and machine the disc

chichichibo
10-11-2010, 11:04 PM
no idea, people say its the handbrake pulling the RHS down but imo the whole RHS is lower, inc front, so i beg to differ

So, if my civic sport got unbalance height of the LHS and RHS, should i get it bk to Honda to fix it?

Stig
10-11-2010, 11:44 PM
lol no, they will laugh at you and say its normal, which it is, the RHS is lower than LHS

chichichibo
11-11-2010, 12:20 AM
lol no, they will laugh at you and say its normal, which it is, the RHS is lower than LHS

so, it is 'supposed' to be lower than the LHS?

ekay1
11-11-2010, 12:39 AM
yes it is

Stig
11-11-2010, 12:40 AM
yeaaaa

chichichibo
11-11-2010, 12:41 AM
ic~~~ thanks a lot everyone :)

curtis265
12-11-2010, 10:15 AM
you have a steering column on the driver side - do you think it's weightless?

my clutch squeaks :(

DuffyFD
12-11-2010, 10:18 AM
my clutch squeaks too. clutch cable in need of lubrication?

nicwan8
13-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Brake noise is a known problem in FD2 Sports 06-08. I have an 08 model and mate a 07 model. Both has the distinct brake noise

Went to Honda many times and finally they have admitted it is a known problem and they can't fix it (Honda doesn't have a resolution to it yet)

ekdez
13-11-2010, 12:40 PM
yeah honda admitted that to me a while ago..
its the pads.. the material or something they don't really know.
my pads were squeeling and i took it there, just happened to be that my pads had glazed over cos of the dust..

Shimian
23-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Anyone experiencing the same issue for FD2?

I fill my tank til it clicks, then add approx $1 more. The fuel blocks shows full but after 5km i lose 1 block. Is this normal? I used to get approx 20-25km before i lose a block. This was like 6 months ago. Just serviced my car using my own oil and own sparkplugs. I dont think these would be the cause.

Stig
23-04-2011, 09:37 PM
$1 of fuel isnt worth much these days lol

Shimian
24-04-2011, 08:39 AM
yea i know but it clicks again. But 5km for 1 block? Ill try to fill it to the rim next time and see if i still get 5km

JOhnnyFD
28-04-2011, 08:43 PM
those fcukin window wipers.. pissing me off

JOhnnyFD
28-04-2011, 08:44 PM
yea i know but it clicks again. But 5km for 1 block? Ill try to fill it to the rim next time and see if i still get 5km

i get 25km on one block with aircon... without it and driving lik a granny, get around 35km a block

DuffyFD
29-04-2011, 12:58 AM
hmm any news about squeky clutch? it's only when your releasing the clutch slowly into a gear..

aero
29-04-2011, 04:41 PM
everytime i put my stock steelies on, i can hear the brakes squeal, however it never happens when i have any of my aftermarket wheels on? ..confusing...
ive gone through about 6 or so sets of wheels, and every time i sell one and put my stock wheels on, i get the squeaky brake noise. when i put on another set of wheels, the noise magically goes away... wtf?! lol. and now that my car is completely stock, the noise the brakes make when im driving with the windows down is terrible.

black8thgen
29-04-2011, 04:44 PM
my brakes squeak either way lol.. it hurts the ears... really bad

Shimian
29-04-2011, 06:14 PM
i get 25km on one block with aircon... without it and driving lik a granny, get around 35km a block

im 2 blocks from halfway and ive done 140km only. This is my first fillup since the service so i might try to run it down to empty and fill a fresh tank. Not sure if itll make any diff but worth a shot

DuffyFD
29-04-2011, 09:43 PM
i got new pads and front rotors to fix that ;)

JOhnnyFD
30-04-2011, 02:19 PM
im 2 blocks from halfway and ive done 140km only. This is my first fillup since the service so i might try to run it down to empty and fill a fresh tank. Not sure if itll make any diff but worth a shot

go on normal unleaded

Shimian
01-05-2011, 12:02 AM
go on normal unleaded

what would that do? I have been using 98 ron from day 1. This only started about 6 months ago. Cant figure out why.

JOhnnyFD
01-05-2011, 12:43 AM
what would that do? I have been using 98 ron from day 1. This only started about 6 months ago. Cant figure out why.

at first i used 98 and then 95... not much difference.... then used 91 regular and find milege to be pretty much identical. Also, petrols damn expensive

use 91 as your base and compare

DuffyFD
02-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Remember to put fuel injector cleaning fluid through your petrol tank occasionally when you use RON91.

To keep everything on the inside squeaky clean

Shimian
03-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Remember to put fuel injector cleaning fluid through your petrol tank occasionally when you use RON91.

which brand do you use? I heard that fuel injector cleaners will ruin your engine. true or false

threesix
03-05-2011, 09:18 AM
^^ id like to know the answer to this toooo

DuffyFD
03-05-2011, 10:20 AM
false, if your engine is quite healthy - which most of them should be since most of us are unker 100k kms, and keep regular services.

Brand was STP.

It's just meant to remove any carbon buildup.

threesix
03-05-2011, 10:26 AM
cool.. i use 95/98ron 70% of the time. 55k. all gravy in the navy.

curtis265
07-05-2011, 12:43 AM
I also find that 98RON was useless. My friend reckons it makes his civic 'smoother' but i think that's just the placebo effect...

Stig
08-05-2011, 08:58 PM
when i went from using 98 the whole life of the civic to one tank of 91 before i sold it

i felt the car was sluggish, unwilling to accelerate smoothly compared to 98

ekay1
09-05-2011, 05:09 AM
I have never refilled with anything but ultimate and V-power so i dont really know. Despite this, i wouldnt want to use 91 in my car lol

aznboiio1
09-05-2011, 06:24 AM
so anyone know if hondas fixed the brake squeal? got it since day 1 :(

JOhnnyFD
10-05-2011, 12:16 AM

engine oil is the primary factor, shiet oil gives u shiet milege no matter the fuel

always use top of the range engine oil

FDPete
10-05-2011, 12:38 PM
The biggest problem I have with my 07 FD2 sport is friends who get in and comment on how smooth the ride is, well equipped and a general feeling of quality for a “civic”!! then they think it’s fast so I try and not put the foot down...after all its just a cruiser in my eyes..if I wanted something fast I would have bought a mk5 golf GTI which I was looking at purchasing before the civic..but of course that would mean that I would have been thru about 3 DSG gearboxes by now..