PDA

View Full Version : wiring for active sub

redefine
28-11-2008, 06:52 PM
i tried searching, so sorry if its already been posted

what wires behind the head unit do i hook up the +12v and REM to when connecting my active sub. i've found the rca jacks on the back of my kenwood head (in an ek1), and i'll find a place to ground it.

btw, what is the best place, just the metal in the wheel cavity (its gonna be in my boot.

dahon
28-11-2008, 07:38 PM
i dont really know what you are getting at... is the head unit the problem, the active subs wiring or do you want wiring from the Head Unit (HU) into the active sub?

12V will be active source straight to the battery usually OR find a spare ACC slot, so when you turn your key there will be power available...
the REM will be wire that triggers the sub to turn on when the head unit turns on... (ie the sub will not turn on unless you turn on your HU, you dont need this wire.. if your HU doesnt have one.. id recommend a switch for your 12+ connection so that your active sub doesnt drain the battery while your cars off...

redefine
28-11-2008, 08:23 PM
thanks

the wiring, i was looking at a few wiring diagrams for the plug in the back of the HU, i was gonna split the wiring off that. and i was thinking +12 to battery (yellow) and REM to ignition (red).
i'm pretty sure my HU dosent have a rem wire.

does that seem ok? i dont really wanna run a wire direct from the battery if i can find one somewhere else. its not high powered (7 inch lol. its a no-name brand, one of those ones that roll around in your boot. lol).

dahon
28-11-2008, 09:13 PM
oh the tube subs?
yeh you can splice it from your wire going into your HU but i wouldnt recommend it...
i suggest you look for an input into the cars ACC port... its at the bottom of the console near the fuses.. there should be several inputs into there... so id just tap into that spot so when you turn your key it turns on the power...
id also recommend a switch (incase you leave the keys in your car and the amp stays on and a fuse on the 12V line as backups)
by doing that you can leave the REM wire free...
all the REM wire does is send a pulse when the HU is turned on to trigger the subs amplifier to also turn on... also used in powered antennas etc etc

saikou27
28-11-2008, 10:23 PM
thanks

the wiring, i was looking at a few wiring diagrams for the plug in the back of the HU, i was gonna split the wiring off that. and i was thinking +12 to battery (yellow) and REM to ignition (red).
i'm pretty sure my HU dosent have a rem wire.

does that seem ok? i dont really wanna run a wire direct from the battery if i can find one somewhere else. its not high powered (7 inch lol. its a no-name brand, one of those ones that roll around in your boot. lol).

are u sure your HU has no remote wire? if it has rca leads for a sub it must have a remote. what brand and model is it, ill have a look for you

ndeuro_
28-11-2008, 10:57 PM
its not in the back of ur headunit. its usually a blue wire hanging off along with ur speaker wires going from ur HU.
usually in pioneers

MAIN:
red - ignition
orange - illumination
yellow - 12v
black - ground
blue - remote (amp)

SPEAKERS:
white
white black
green
green black
grey
grey black
purple
purple black

dahon
28-11-2008, 11:36 PM
depends on the colour... sometimes its blue sometimes its white and blue...
manufacturers have different colour coding...
you really need to check with the user manual...
but remember the trigger wire isnt really necessary to run the sub+amp... it only triggers the amp to turn on (not off) when the HU turns on... a simple on off switch to the 12V input can turn the sub on and off manually

redefine
29-11-2008, 10:18 AM
its not in the back of ur headunit. its usually a blue wire hanging off along with ur speaker wires going from ur HU.
usually in pioneers

ahh, so thats what that unmarked blue wire was thanks!

i'll work out the wiring later today, thanks everyone!