PDA

View Full Version : Engineering Question?

noodles025
02-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Hey guys and gals just wanted to ask a quick question about getting my car engineered.

I have researched a little and found some info but just wanted some clarification on a couple of things.

The car is already quiet enough and everything else is safe, "I think".

I know I need to fix my brakes up a bit I have the EH Civic with 4 wheels disc brakes. So would putting better pads on be sufficient to start with with or will I need to change the rotars aswell.

I was planning on putting slotted rotars and some better calipers on eventually but was hoping that first up I didn't "need" to do that.

I'm running a built D16A8 DOHC with a T28 turbo and custom manifold and exhaust system. Will be running 10 psi to start with until I upgrade the turbo in the future.

Can someone shed any light on if a simple break upgrade will be sufficient?

Cheers Ash

Lukezen27
02-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Hey guys and gals just wanted to ask a quick question about getting my car engineered.

I have researched a little and found some info but just wanted some clarification on a couple of things.

The car is already quiet enough and everything else is safe, "I think".

I know I need to fix my brakes up a bit I have the EH Civic with 4 wheels disc brakes. So would putting better pads on be sufficient to start with with or will I need to change the rotars aswell.

I was planning on putting slotted rotars and some better calipers on eventually but was hoping that first up I didn't "need" to do that.

I'm running a built D16A8 DOHC with a T28 turbo and custom manifold and exhaust system. Will be running 10 psi to start with until I upgrade the turbo in the future.

Can someone shed any light on if a simple break upgrade will be sufficient?

Cheers Ash

Hey Ash

Just upgrade to ITR front calipers and rotors then re-drilled to my 4 stud patten.

That's what I did to pass my engineering.

ITR front calipers and rotors cost me $500 :thumbsup:

trism
02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
are ITR twin or single piston?

Lukezen27
02-12-2008, 06:45 PM

Single I believe

Paul1985
02-12-2008, 06:45 PM

Single.

noodles025
02-12-2008, 07:43 PM
sweet thanks mate. Did you score the rotors and calipers 2nd hand on here or from a wrecker or something?

So DBA don't make a slotted rotor to fit?

mike15h
03-12-2008, 06:52 AM
when i spoke to the engineer on monday i asked him the same question. i told him when they went i was going to replace them anyway, with slotted rotors, he said and i quote "hondas have pretty good brake setups anyway, so maybe just change the pads to those stainless steel one" which i assume he means metals.

iced
03-12-2008, 10:10 AM
stainless steel pads?
lol

with 262mm fronts with good pads will be up to the task.
something like Lucas TRW pads for street or something abit better like EBC greenstuff.
rotors are not a must but if there is a budget t keep to try spend your money on the pads rather than slotted rotors.

EH might have 240mm fronts which is too small to waste money on pads and rotors. You might as well score the larger calipers and upgrade it. You might need the knuckle assy to do it so you dont have caliper offset issues depending on what type of 262mm caliper you use..

Lukezen27
03-12-2008, 11:08 AM
stainless steel pads?
lol

with 262mm fronts with good pads will be up to the task.
something like Lucas TRW pads for street or something abit better like EBC greenstuff.
rotors are not a must but if there is a budget t keep to try spend your money on the pads rather than slotted rotors.

EH might have 240mm fronts which is too small to waste money on pads and rotors. You might as well score the larger calipers and upgrade it. You might need the knuckle assy to do it so you dont have caliper offset issues depending on what type of 262mm caliper you use..

I got the knuckle as well with mine :thumbsup:

Worked out great and she stops like a bitch

Limbo
03-12-2008, 11:55 AM
if u can afford it go to the ITR front rotrs & calipers. It makes alot of difference.
Remember its your life on the line, being able to stop earlier is always better than being able to stop later.

Weq
03-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I know people always recommend ITR brakes, but why??

Whats so special about the ITR and why do its brakes suit a turbocharged engine? THe ITR has half the torque and weigh less then a CXI civic.... What do ITR's upgrade too when they get turbocharged??

This whole brake

Lukezen27
03-12-2008, 05:06 PM
I know people always recommend ITR brakes, but why??

Whats so special about the ITR and why do its brakes suit a turbocharged engine? THe ITR has half the torque and weigh less then a CXI civic.... What do ITR's upgrade too when they get turbocharged??

This whole brake

coze there cheap to grade and close to twice the size of the stock ones!

noodles025
04-12-2008, 07:33 AM
ok no probs guys thanks for the advice. I hope I don't sound like a complete goof when I ask but what is an ITR. Is it an abreviation for Integra?

Lukezen27
04-12-2008, 07:36 AM
ok no probs guys thanks for the advice. I hope I don't sound like a complete goof when I ask but what is an ITR. Is it an abreviation for Integra?

Integra Type R ;)

Limbo
04-12-2008, 12:07 PM
yep, cheap, easily to get and easy to install.
Only thing i can think of after is spoon or williwood calipers but for $1500+ the price is out of the range of most of us poor buggers.
ITR calipers about $200 or so with rotors and somtimes if lucky some stock pads.
$100 to machine.
Some time to redrill or $50

ANd then about 1/2hr to install.

O last thing is that the ITR calipers still can fit under 15" mags(most 15s).

noodles025
04-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Ok so your saying you can pick up the ITR calipers and rotors from a wrecker for that price?

Lukezen27
04-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Ok so your saying you can pick up the ITR calipers and rotors from a wrecker for that price?

You need the knuckle as well but I'm not 100% sure what ells.

The wrecker might know

noodles025
04-12-2008, 12:45 PM
cool thanks mate now its finding a wrecker with the parts I need around my area.

Cheers guys

noodles025
04-12-2008, 12:50 PM
ok another question, which models of ITR brakes will fit? DC2? DC5?

Lukezen27
04-12-2008, 12:52 PM
ok another question, which models of ITR brakes will fit? DC2? DC5?
DC2 2000 is what I'm running

nd55
04-12-2008, 10:26 PM
> Only thing i can think of after is spoon or williwood calipers but for $1500+

Willwood calipers will NOT pass certification. AFAIK they don't have dust covers.

I can't think of any good reasons to go with Spoon calipers, when the ITR upgrade is sooooo much cheaper.

Weq, what's your position on brakes?

Nick.

iced
04-12-2008, 11:05 PM
yep, cheap, easily to get and easy to install.
Only thing i can think of after is spoon or williwood calipers but for $1500+ the price is out of the range of most of us poor buggers.
ITR calipers about $200 or so with rotors and somtimes if lucky some stock pads.
$100 to machine.
Some time to redrill or $50

ANd then about 1/2hr to install.

O last thing is that the ITR calipers still can fit under 15" mags(most 15s).

$100 to machine !!!! wtf
before the fittings now the machining :eek::cool:

noodles025
05-12-2008, 09:22 AM
If I go to a wrecker they will know what I'm talking about when I ask for the knuckle from the brakes? I wasn't gunna worry about machining I was thinking of just getting new rotors and buying the calipers and knuckles from the wrecker.

Can I get clarification on which model ITR parts will fit so I don't accidentally get the wrong ones?

Cheers

EGB18CT
05-12-2008, 12:31 PM
willwood now has a dust seal version of their calipers, check them out on fastbrakes.com, should have no problems with engineering.

noodles025
05-12-2008, 01:42 PM
There's a guy on here that has a DC5 for wrecking and I asked him if I could have the front rotors, calipers and knuckle but he told me that they are not compatible with other models is this correct?

Lukezen27
05-12-2008, 02:35 PM
There's a guy on here that has a DC5 for wrecking and I asked him if I could have the front rotors, calipers and knuckle but he told me that they are not compatible with other models is this correct?

Yeah I don't think you can use DC5s only DC2s bro

Limbo
05-12-2008, 11:11 PM
ur looking for 97 and up ITR from dc2r

hiepy
24-12-2008, 05:47 AM
Does anyone know, if you've upgraded to ITR brakes- will the calipers still clear stock steelies.. 14" rims.. ?

thanks !

Limbo
24-12-2008, 09:14 AM
nope, you need at least 15s (mags) and even then some 15s depending on design will not fit.
Even 15" steelies won't fit