PDA

View Full Version : Accord Euro 08 - Sat Nav Question

MeTaLliC
05-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi Guys,

For the last few months I have been looking at a Honda Accord Euro Luxury (08 model) as my next car purchase. However, I have the following questions if someone would be so kind to answer them.

1. How much does it cost to get an update for the Sat Nav and how often do Honda release / offer them?

2. I have heard reports that the dvd that is supplied is needed at all times (eg. remains inside the car whilst you use the sat nav system). Is this correct? If so, does it affect your ability to play cd's via the centre console.

3. What brand is the sat nav equipment in the case of purchasing a 3rd party map pack.

Cheers

tpphan
05-12-2008, 07:47 PM
1. Cost approx $550.00, Whereis generally release a new one every year.

2. Yes, the dvd must remain in when using the unit. All the data is stored on there. You still have full control of the cd unit while using the sat.

3. I don't think you can purchase a 3rd party map pack. Whereis has specifically designed it for Honda Australia. Not too sure about the brand.

Hope it helps :D

Hi Guys,

For the last few months I have been looking at a Honda Accord Euro Luxury (08 model) as my next car purchase. However, I have the following questions if someone would be so kind to answer them.

1. How much does it cost to get an update for the Sat Nav and how often do Honda release / offer them?

2. I have heard reports that the dvd that is supplied is needed at all times (eg. remains inside the car whilst you use the sat nav system). Is this correct? If so, does it affect your ability to play cd's via the centre console.

3. What brand is the sat nav equipment in the case of purchasing a 3rd party map pack.

Cheers

MeTaLliC
05-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the response.

Is it dvd loaded from the centre console unit or is there a separate loading bay located in the vehicle?

tpphan
05-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Separate DVD-ROM drive located below the centre console. Its normally a storage compartment in non-sat vehicles.

Thanks for the response.

Is it dvd loaded from the centre console unit or is there a separate loading bay located in the vehicle?

kimnkk
05-12-2008, 09:39 PM
The DVD for the sat nav software is located in the boot of the car. The CD stacker is located near the shifter, where storage is on non-satnav versions.

tpphan
05-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Alright i'm confused.

MeTaLliC which euro are you talking about, CL9 or CU2? Both of course are 2008 models.

If your talking about CL9 then the DVD is located near the shifter. I have no clue about the CU2, probably what kimnkk is talking about.

The DVD for the sat nav software is located in the boot of the car. The CD stacker is located near the shifter, where storage is on non-satnav versions.

aaronng
05-12-2008, 11:17 PM

It's inside the center console area. That's why you only get half the space remaining compared to the non-sat nav model.

kimnkk
06-12-2008, 12:28 AM
It's inside the center console area. That's why you only get half the space remaining compared to the non-sat nav model.

Wait, i'm confused. What are you saying is in the centre console area? In the CU2, the CD Stacker is moved to where the storage compartment is on the non-satnav models (just above the shifter). The DVD drive for the satnav software is located in the boot.

tpphan
06-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Kimnkk are you talking about the CU2? Me and Aaronng are talking about the CL9.

Lol

aaronng
06-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Wait, i'm confused. What are you saying is in the centre console area? In the CU2, the CD Stacker is moved to where the storage compartment is on the non-satnav models (just above the shifter). The DVD drive for the satnav software is located in the boot.
We are talking about CL9. The 6 CD stacker is behind the radio/climate control display, while the DVD takes up 1/2 of the center compartment in that model.

SPQR
07-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Even though the CU2 was released in 2008, it is known as the 2009 model. I think he was talking about the CL9.

primetimex
21-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi all, have just purchased brand new 2009 Euro Luxury Navi and managed to discharge the car battery very rapidly by setting up the SatNav while engine is off. Am I being a noob for doing this or should the new battery last a lot longer?

I was doing it for 20 mins then the Satnav screen flickered and the battery charge indicator came on. Could this be the service department did not do their pre-inspection properly and battery is not fully charged or does the SatNav drain so much power that when you are setting it up you need the engine idling???

Sludge
21-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi all, have just purchased brand new 2009 Euro Luxury Navi and managed to discharge the car battery very rapidly by setting up the SatNav while engine is off. Am I being a noob for doing this or should the new battery last a lot longer?

I was doing it for 20 mins then the Satnav screen flickered and the battery charge indicator came on. Could this be the service department did not do their pre-inspection properly and battery is not fully charged or does the SatNav drain so much power that when you are setting it up you need the engine idling???

I've had no issues with mine. Did you have the ignition on or just on Accessory? You can program the Sat Nav with the ignition in Acc mode and not drain your battery as much.

As for do you need the DVD in. For the CU2 yes you do, it is a separate unit in the boot and has no effect on the centre stacker, obviously the CL9 is different and if I am reading it right it is a separate unit in the dash, which i guess would also require the DVD in and have no effect on the stacker?

Darkii_
21-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Correct, The cl9 has a dvd slot under the normal cd slot, It does not affect the cd stacker in anyway

primetimex
21-03-2009, 02:34 PM
I've had no issues with mine. Did you have the ignition on or just on Accessory? You can program the Sat Nav with the ignition in Acc mode and not drain your battery as much.

Yes I had the ignition in Acc mode - but it still drained battery. Dealer's explanation was that as this is a brand new car and battery, the battery's fully charged when it left the factory and during pre-delivery they make sure that it has sufficient cranking power and that's it. The car really needs to be run in in order to charge the battery sufficiently - so perhaps I've not done that many k's yet to run the battery in!

rodericb
04-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Bump! Has anyone tried an update disc from Whereis? They're "only" $249.00.

Sludge
04-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Bump! Has anyone tried an update disc from Whereis? They're "only" $249.00.

Not looking for an upgrade yet, Version 14 seems fine where I am.

Are you talking Version 15, and is it for a Honda? I've read the upgrades are about $400.

I'm still cheesed off that the unit (apparently by Alpine) doesn't support Whereis POI (speed camera's etc). I'm wondering how hard it would be to run another line off the GPS aerial to the centre console box, so I could run a cheep GPS alert device in there.

Mike Star
04-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Not looking for an upgrade yet, Version 14 seems fine where I am.

Are you talking Version 15, and is it for a Honda? I've read the upgrades are about $400.

I'm still cheesed off that the unit (apparently by Alpine) doesn't support Whereis POI (speed camera's etc). I'm wondering how hard it would be to run another line off the GPS aerial to the centre console box, so I could run a cheep GPS alert device in there.

Hi there I was told that it isn't a problem with the Alpine Unit itself it's that Honda has made the decision not to support that info (speed cameras and School Zones) being included. POI's for a whole range of other things are on the V14 disc for example.
Cheers

Sludge
04-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Hi there I was told that it isn't a problem with the Alpine Unit itself it's that Honda has made the decision not to support that info (speed cameras and School Zones) being included. POI's for a whole range of other things are on the V14 disc for example.
Cheers

Hmmm! Thanks Mike, I've heard that as well.

I have sent an email to Alpine to see if they have a solution, as I know their units do have POI support.

Let you know what they say when I get a response.

Mike Star
04-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks heaps,
I look forward to the info from Alpine.
Cheers

by-life
04-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Generally, Sat Nav from original car is only 2D.
That is so weird!

paulh
15-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Cheers

I'm not so sure they haven't included these on the disc - the manual inside the disc cover states the disc has ' inclusion of 1461 School Zones & Alert Points'. Not sure what Alert Points they are talking about, but School Zones would appear to be included yet not active on the unit.
Surely there must be some way to enable these?

Sludge
16-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm not so sure they haven't included these on the disc - the manual inside the disc cover states the disc has ' inclusion of 1461 School Zones & Alert Points'. Not sure what Alert Points they are talking about, but School Zones would appear to be included yet not active on the unit.
Surely there must be some way to enable these?

Let us know if you find a way, I e-mailed Alpine who supply the unit but my question must have been to hard because I got no response.

SPQR
18-08-2009, 10:38 PM
I wonder if Alpine have a firmware update available for download.

paulh
19-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Maybe. I think there are two issues - the hardware/firmware/software doesn't support alerts when approaching a POI , and possibly the disc doesn't contain the information in the first place as it would be pointless to include this info on a vendor specific disc, which is what WhereIs supplies, if that vendor didn't want to have the red light and speed camera functionality. I originally though the info was on the disc, and that Honda had somehow disabled that functionality in their software, but I'm now thinking the software is included on disc to Honda's specification.
A firmware update for the unit might help, but the data for red light and speed cams would also have to be on the disc in the first place. I'm now not so sure it is. Would be interesting to ask WhereIs about it though, but I have a feeling they'd be reluctant to release anything that was not to Honda's policy.
It may also be possible to find out if any other car manufacturers use the same hardware and if so if any of these have red light and speed camera alert functionality. If that were the case it may be possible to use a non Honda disc to get the alert functionality. It's pretty easy to load a new disc on the unit.
It's interesting to note there is not yet a V15 disc for Honda advertised on the 'poweredby.whereis' website...

Sludge
20-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Maybe. I think there are two issues - the hardware/firmware/software doesn't support alerts when approaching a POI , and possibly the disc doesn't contain the information in the first place as it would be pointless to include this info on a vendor specific disc, which is what WhereIs supplies, if that vendor didn't want to have the red light and speed camera functionality. I originally though the info was on the disc, and that Honda had somehow disabled that functionality in their software, but I'm now thinking the software is included on disc to Honda's specification.
A firmware update for the unit might help, but the data for red light and speed cams would also have to be on the disc in the first place. I'm now not so sure it is. Would be interesting to ask WhereIs about it though, but I have a feeling they'd be reluctant to release anything that was not to Honda's policy.
It may also be possible to find out if any other car manufacturers use the same hardware and if so if any of these have red light and speed camera alert functionality. If that were the case it may be possible to use a non Honda disc to get the alert functionality. It's pretty easy to load a new disc on the unit.
It's interesting to note there is not yet a V15 disc for Honda advertised on the 'poweredby.whereis' website...

I am fairly sure someone here already established that the data is on the disc but Honda decided not to enable the function on the unit.

Also I think I read that the disk also has the software for the Aircon, Stereo etc, so you can't use any disk it needs to be a Honda disc.

paulh
20-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I am fairly sure someone here already established that the data is on the disc but Honda decided not to enable the function on the unit.
That could be correct, but you would think there would be some hidden menu option to enable it. The service menu has no options to enable that. It would be nice if it were that simple. The reason I stated I wasn't convinced the data has been included on the disc is that the poweredby.whereis site is now stating which cars units don't support the alerts. I can't see why whereis would add stuff like speed cams etc. on the disc if they know the hardware can't support that functionality.

Also I think I read that the disk also has the software for the Aircon, Stereo etc, so you can't use any disk it needs to be a Honda disc.

I've read that too, although I don't really understand how the unit would have anything to do with the aircon or radio for example. I might try removing the disc from the unit and see what works. I could just be you can't see the stations on the main sat nav display, but on the non euro cars (like mine) there is a separate display of the radio station and air con. Infact, I don't remember seeing any ability to get the aircon controlled or displayed using the sat nav controls or screen. Could be wrong though. The radio can be controlled with either sat nav control, or separate control. The Euro may be different though.

May have to contact Alpine and see if they'll offer any info. on the units functionality.