PDA

View Full Version : Short Shifter Part - Will it fit my Car?

secksy
08-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Hi All,

Im looking at buying a short shifter for a 2003 Accord Euro, was wondering if you would know if the following part would fit my car. The short shifter is for an
"Accord Euro R (CL7)" the man referred to it as a 'Japanese model'

As far as I am aware the Accord Euro that the part is for is a CL7 but not a Euro R.

Any ideas on this??????

aaronng
08-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Hi All,

Im looking at buying a short shifter for a 2003 Accord Euro, was wondering if you would know if the following part would fit my car. The short shifter is for an
"Accord Euro R (CL7)" the man referred to it as a 'Japanese model'

As far as I am aware the Accord Euro that the part is for is a CL7 but not a Euro R.

Any ideas on this??????

Is this the Mugen/Spoon short shifter for CL7? If it is, then yes, it will fit the CL9 Accord Euro.

Crapdaz
08-12-2008, 09:30 AM
As aaronng mentioned CL7 part? Is it this part no. 54000-XKB-K0S0?

The part no. i specified is for a mugen short shifter which will fit 100%.

secksy
08-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Wow, thanks guys for your speedy replies :)

Yes thats the part number. So there's no difference between the euro r and euro?????? I would just like to be 100% certain before i order it.

aaronng
08-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Wow, thanks guys for your speedy replies :)

Yes thats the part number. So there's no difference between the euro r and euro?????? I would just like to be 100% certain before i order it.

There are differences in other parts of the cars, but for the short shifter, both cars are the same.

Crapdaz
08-12-2008, 10:27 AM
agreed with master ng!

The part no. i supplied is the part no. on the one i installed last year sometime ago.

Price is too dear for them for the time being due to the AUD being sucky.

aaronng
08-12-2008, 10:34 AM
It is worth it though. Daz, you need a new gearknob! Get one that works in unison with the short shifter. Your knob makes your shifter feel notchy.

secksy
08-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Oh okay! Wonderful I shall order one :) thanks for your help :D :D Am I allowed to ask in this forum what you guys have paid prior to the AUD bein bad??? I am just curious in the difference between now and the past and whether its worth me waiting or not. Or are those questions not allowed? I am not sure about forum ettiquette...

Crapdaz
08-12-2008, 10:40 AM
yeh no worries,

i paid $350-375AUD, this was prior to AUD being bad ass...
I didn't get it from traders than as when i did get it they were going for $400+.

AAAAAAARRROOOONNNN yeh i agree it is worth it, makes the shifter alot nicer to shift in cause it's heavier.

secksy
08-12-2008, 10:45 AM
If you need a new gear knob will i need to get one as well? I want it to all go nicely... what do you recommend, anything in particular? I have no idea about this stuff (obviously)

And thanks for the price idea, i seem to be able to get it quite cheap compared to current prices!!!!! Some places have quoted $425+ but i know someone who can get it much cheaper.

aaronng
08-12-2008, 10:47 AM
If you need a new gear knob will i need to get one as well? I want it to all go nicely... what do you recommend, anything in particular? I have no idea about this stuff (obviously)

And thanks for the price idea, i seem to be able to get it quite cheap compared to current prices!!!!! Some places have quoted $425+ but i know someone who can get it much cheaper.

You don't need to get a new gearknob. It is your preference. I'd say try it with the stock knob first and then see if you are alright with it or prefer a heavier knob.

Crapdaz
08-12-2008, 10:48 AM

yeh go for it then.

But shift knob get it at a later date unless your buying other stuff shipped in but if from dealers in Oz then just hold off unless you don't like the driving feel as aaron has mentioned.

secksy
08-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Interesting, how come you guys have decided to change the knob? How do you find th changes were with the short shifter?

aaronng
08-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Interesting, how come you guys have decided to change the knob? How do you find th changes were with the short shifter?

It started because my 2nd gear was notchy. I got a DC5R knob. Then I realised that it was caused by shifting habits by me pulling down and to the left when shifting from 1st to 2nd. So I fixed that. After that, I got the short shifter. Then I found out that a heavier knob was being released in the US, so I went for that and sold off the DC5R knob. Haven't found a better knob since.

secksy
08-12-2008, 11:08 AM
So what knob do you have? Ive only really seen that countersunk one, is that yours? I dont really like the look of that, it looks like it has had a stunted growth. Can you recommend any that dont look so vertically challenged?

aaronng
08-12-2008, 11:12 AM
This is the one I have: http://www.mavenmotorsports.com/

Crapdaz
08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Aaron how did u find my Sparco globe knob?

sorry i haven't tried it with stock knob but i can if you want me to.

http://www.ogracing.com/images/products/706-SPARCO-GLOBE-SHIFT-KNOB-small.jpg
that's my shift knob sparco globe, does not use the mugen shifter thread, it has an adaptor which gets plugged into it and then you screw the knob in.

secksy
08-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Omgosh no, u dont have to try that - ill just trust its better with a new gear knob.. goodness u would have to change it all over!

Both are quite nice! Much better than that countersunk one. Daz, does yours look short? Aarons looks like it isnt short... But i cant tell with urs cos its jst th pic of the knob...

Crapdaz
08-12-2008, 12:01 PM
aaron has driven my car and it's lower than his knob.

My sparco knob is about 50mm from the flange to the top and it sits countersunk into the shifter stick, around 40-45mm in.

Omgosh no, u dont have to try that - ill just trust its better with a new gear knob.. goodness u would have to change it all over!

Both are quite nice! Much better than that countersunk one. Daz, does yours look short? Aarons looks like it isnt short... But i cant tell with urs cos its jst th pic of the knob...

aaronng
08-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Aaron how did u find my Sparco globe knob?

sorry i haven't tried it with stock knob but i can if you want me to.

[IMG]http://www.ogracing.com/images/products/706-SPARCO-GLOBE-SHIFT-KNOB-small.jpg[IMG]
that's my shift knob sparco globe, does not use the mugen shifter thread, it has an adaptor which gets plugged into it and then you screw the knob in.
Your knob made me have to concentrate while shifting. With mine, I don't have to. Remind me next time and I'll take you for a ride in my car to show you the difference.

aaronng
08-12-2008, 12:02 PM

Mine's regular height because it is not countersunk. His is much shorter.

Crapdaz
08-12-2008, 12:11 PM
yeh i was thinking about changing it......

secksy
08-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Oh right, yeh i dont like th short knobs............ ha ha... but really... Do you guys know of any other good ones?

Crapdaz
08-12-2008, 01:07 PM
i reckon this is nice
and not too short
http://www.nengun.com/spoon/shift-knob

the spoon knob.

aaronng
08-12-2008, 01:18 PM
I find the spoon ones too light. I prefer the skunk2 knobs instead.

secksy
08-12-2008, 01:20 PM
It says they are all discontinued.... :( Is there anything I should know specifically about when choosing one? Or do all I have to find out is that it fits a Honda Accord Euro? Are there any particular qualities I should look for?????

Crapdaz
08-12-2008, 01:30 PM
you need to confirm the thread pattern,

I am not too sure on this cause mine doesnt use the shifter thread, i have the adapter on it.

I think it's a M12 thread. <--- aaron correct me on this.

secksy
08-12-2008, 01:31 PM
http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/hondashiftknobs/hondaaccordshiftknobs.html all of these knobs look nice... but are they suitable?

secksy
08-12-2008, 01:31 PM
if the thread pattern is wrong, how much does an adaptor cost? is it lots? or not much?

Crapdaz
08-12-2008, 01:39 PM
if the thread pattern is wrong, how much does an adaptor cost? is it lots? or not much?

mine came with it and it sits ontop of the thread by 3 carbon screws which sit on the thread.

You need to clarify with the seller what thread pattern it uses, or find a nut which can screw into the shifter thread and you'll know what size thread it is.

aaronng
08-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Honda's thread pattern is M10 x 1.5

Crapdaz
08-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Honda's thread pattern is M10 x 1.5
bah thanks aaron, i forgotten.... too many M10's and M12 on the euro.... hahaha

aaronng
08-12-2008, 02:02 PM
As long as it says it is for Honda or Acura manual transmission, you'll be alright. Toyota won't fit, I've tried that. They use M12 I think.

secksy
08-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Wonderful wonderful. You both know so much! Do you work in the car industry? Or just read alot?

Im just basically looking for a heavier knob, is that correct?

aaronng
08-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Wonderful wonderful. You both know so much! Do you work in the car industry? Or just read alot?

Im just basically looking for a heavier knob, is that correct?

Yeah, I found that I preferred a heavier knob. But you might find that you prefer a lighter knob. :) Best is to come to an Euro meet and try out other knobs. lol

secksy
09-12-2008, 07:51 AM
lol lol... okay, maybe i should find out what most people prefer... and go with that..

Crapdaz
09-12-2008, 07:53 AM
lol lol... okay, maybe i should find out what most people prefer... and go with that..

people have different opinions, go with what aaron has said come and try it out shift it and you like the feel then go for it.

Aaron, go plan an outting, i pass on the duties to you.

aaronng
09-12-2008, 08:17 AM
people have different opinions, go with what aaron has said come and try it out shift it and you like the feel then go for it.

Aaron, go plan an outting, i pass on the duties to you.
Haha, knowing me, I'll end up missing my own meet!

Crapdaz
09-12-2008, 08:28 AM
and as everyone says i am always late to mine!

secksy
09-12-2008, 09:14 AM
hahaha... are you guys from Sydney?

Crapdaz
09-12-2008, 09:33 AM
yes every1 on OH is a westie or i mean most!

i am an eastern subs.

secksy
09-12-2008, 10:13 AM
i seeee... how interesting! Im not a westie lol. Anyways thanks for all of your help, im sure i will have more questions though :P