PDA

View Full Version : Random stalling?

Simy
08-12-2008, 09:54 AM
posting with a friends account cuz i dont have one.. but anyway..

i got my S about a week ago, and have had a few problems.. its a 99 model with 118k's. when im at a stop whether im in gear or not, the revs drop and rise.. normally i should sit just below 1000revs right? so tahts about 4 or 5 bars.. mine drops to about 1,2 or 3 bars and the car starts shaking like its about to stall.. any1 know wats going on?

second prob is (happened maybe 2 or 3 times) im slowing down or at a stop and im in neutral so there is no engine decelaration (trying to use less fuel lol) the car gets to a very slow pace about 3/4kms and then i realise the engine just turns off.. but it didn't stall (like it didn't shake hardcore or anything) it had no sound, i didn't even realise it was off until i tried accelerating and looked at the dash.. its hard to explain.. hmm..

any ideas any1? im due for another major service today or in another 2000kms..

MRK-01
08-12-2008, 10:11 AM
best get it to a mechanic, fuel or spark problem most likely.

Simy
08-12-2008, 10:40 AM
any1 kno rough price on major service for 120,000kmz?

beeza
08-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I haven't worked on a S2000 but I would say it's the IACV on the throttle body that needs a clean out.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2506073

ECU-MAN
08-12-2008, 04:43 PM
open the bonnet,

find the fues box,

remove the 30A pink backup fuse, for 30 seconds. make sure ignition is off

then start the car and let it run for 10 min ( all electrics off. door shut, radio off ect )

DC2spec94
08-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Could be one of this quick fix, coz it happen to me like you mentioned after i did this 'whack', its gone forever... here is the link http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=549145&st=0#entry12038827

DVS-S2K
08-12-2008, 06:12 PM
It's very possible that your car has never had the throttle body cleaned. Carbon builds up around the throttle plate and in the idle bypass. You can fix this yourself by getting some carby cleaner and a rag.
Remove your intake hose and spray the throttle plate, then open the throttle from the cable and wipe the black carbon from around it. There will be a fair bit. When its absolutely clean put the hose back on an make sure everything is tight.

when restarting your car because you've just sprayed a fuel into your inlet the car will flood if you dont do the following.

Depress the accelerator to the floor and hold (puts ecu into clear flood mode ie cuts fuel on cranking ) then try to start the car, it may take a few trys when it does start rev it to clear the excess carby cleaner then go for a good drive.

Hope this helps

yellows2k
08-12-2008, 08:29 PM
120k service is the major service. from a stealer, it ranges, but is around the $800-$1k, from an independent, it should be about $400-500

ludecrs
08-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Failing the above options, check to make sure you don't actually have an aftermarket ECU installed on the car... since my car did ALL those things at first installation until it learnt my driving habits (learning ECU).

Simy
09-12-2008, 10:20 AM
thx heaps.. mad help.. im yet to do something about it.. i will when i get the time to..

its got an aftermarket chip.. for oxegen sensor or sumthing, came with the car. the guy said to lower the air respone gauge or sumthing like that.. that could be the prob.. any reason why he put that in? still new to this stuff..

beeza
09-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Sounds like the IAT mod.
It's a resistor you put into the female side of the IAT sensor,shorting it out.It's tricks the computer into thinking the intake air temprature is 2 degrees lower than what it is,the computer then gives a little more fuel to compensate.It does give a little bit more acceleration but honda's run rich from the factory so in the long run it can start causing problems especially around the throttle body.The best thing is to get it out and re-connect the IAT sensor,then reset the ECU.

I had one in my car for 2 years and my car ran a lot smoother after it was removed.I reckon it did give it a nice little bump in power for a while (1 year),then it started running a bit rough,not enough to be really noticeable but enough to slowly piss ya off.That's where I feel the confusion lies with this mod.

After I finially took it out after 2 years it had all corrouded and went that white/greeny powdery stuff.

After I got the male side of the IAT sensor and mounting it back in the intake arm I instantly felt the car ran better.I was 'YEEEOOOWWWW,Finially got that shit outta there,WOOOOOOT!!!!'

One of these suckerz:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/four20band20resistor.jpg

12 cents from dick smith BUT don't ask me what one because I don't want to endorse these.No way.

SNKS2K
09-12-2008, 05:25 PM
The preivous owner of my car had a VAFC and a greedy ECU on the car whne i got it.

and i had similar issues with the car.

Ripsed them both out, reset the ECU.

Havent had an issue since.

NVD52K
09-12-2008, 11:43 PM
do you have a cai? my car does that aswell but only when i put the cai in. try resetting the ecu by taking the battery terminal off for about 10minutes and back on again. or maybe try the map whack

Simy
10-12-2008, 02:46 PM
great help guyz..been heaps busy with uni and work last few days, got next few days off so got some time to get some of this stuff done as well as clean my pod, any1 know how long i should dry it for b4 i oil it back up? has to be completely dry ay? its a aftah market K&N

NVD52K, its stock intake with just the filter changed, but it does have the scoop that runs thru to the front bumper. i've been drivin with the air box off for a few days cuz the mechanic said it could be a tempurature problem, i dont think it is thou so ima whack it back on today or sumthing.. i'll be resettin ecu 2morz as well.. hope it works, my mate said i should take out the ecu chip completely n reset the ecu cuz its lettin less O2 into the engine.

due for major service but gonna take it aftah i come back from my holiday, which will be like very early jan, no harm in that right? the date is up but the k's isn't for another 1600

also decovered something last night, if my engine is cold (this could be the same thing as the random stalling posted earlier) and i rev it to about 4k, release accel, n it drops all the way down n the engine turns off, i did it a few times as it seem to happen only when the engine is cold.. odd? or is it just the ecu chip?.. but still doesn't explain why revs drop to about 200revs when the engine is warmed up..

aftah i take it to mechanics and still isn't done i'll try some of the DIYs posted up earlier..

SNKS2K
10-12-2008, 03:08 PM
From what i can see, its definatly your aftermarket chip is not mixing well with your stock ECU. Rip it out if you dont have any other mods on your car.

Then reset the ECU.

NVD52K
10-12-2008, 05:08 PM
during out the cover can cause heat soak on hot days and make the car feel sluggish. although the problem you have may have to be an after market computer or some sort of chip as snks2k is saying try resetting first and then try doing the map whack.

Simy
11-12-2008, 09:49 AM
also, any1 know if theres a replica Amuse r1 front bumper anywhere? or where i can buy? i didn't realise there was a massive crack in the front bumper of my S untill i got home aftah i picked it up, the guy insisted it was der already b4 i looked at the car 2 months b4.. but me n 3 other friends just simply mist it during inspection..

NVD52K
11-12-2008, 02:49 PM
s2ki forum. its gonna cost abit... although you can go ap2 front bumper with lip that looks just as good

NVD52K
13-12-2008, 10:14 PM
hey man i found a good site for you although use it as a guide http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=548714

Simy
14-12-2008, 09:24 PM
thx heaps mate