PDA

View Full Version : My First Civic EG,, Few Problems,, Need Help..

subie
08-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Hi guys,,

just bought my very first Civic EG this afternoon,,

It's black, hatch, Manual, Carby, A/C and all Power option..

what model is my car ? EG4 ? and is it GL, GLi ,, etc ??

now, back to few problems that i have,,

- the struts that holding the back wind-screen are not attach to the glass and leave the holes on both end !! where can i get that black plastics thingies that u can bolt the struts on ?? (hope u guys understand what i tried to say)
- air con is need re-gas, how much i'm looking at ??
- the head unit (after market) that came with the car is not working, i'm goning to replace it.. So, can anyone tell me or show me the 'link' on how to remove the centre console?

That's all for now.. might come back with more problems lol lol

Thanks in advance guys

Cheers

Chi
08-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Gl ...........

niiCk
08-12-2008, 08:28 PM
your car is an EG4, being carby and has power options, im pretty sure its a GL
as for the black thingos. go to a wrecker(:
i duno how much it'll cost to get a air con regas
and for the head unit, im pretty sure you just need that key thing that slides down the sides of the headunit.

subie
08-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks guys

for the head unit, im pretty sure you just need that key thing that slides down the sides of the headunit.

anyway, i'm after a link or something to show me how to pull all the centre console out to replace the head unit

Cheers

R_RaTeD
08-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys

anyway, i'm after a link or something to show me how to pull all the centre console out to replace the head unit

Cheers

u only need the keys to slide the deck out ...
stripping the centre console would be a waste of time

Trial and Error ???:thumbsup:

subie
08-12-2008, 09:41 PM
But the head unit in my car is not the stock one, it's an after market and i think it holding by brackets on both sides, maybe ??

cheers

finalazy
08-12-2008, 11:08 PM
aircon regas looking at $90 - $110 or so

mp-
08-12-2008, 11:49 PM
aircon regas looking at $90 - $110 or so

yeah some places charge a lot more but on avg it's around the $110 mark

mp-
08-12-2008, 11:50 PM
as for the head unit, i dont think you need to take out the whole centre console to replace it just the deck.

cymax
09-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Gas Struts: You should be able to get it from wreckers easily. This link would be helpful for you to find those seals and gas struts --> http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259

Aircon Regas - Before you carry on with aircon regas, make sure that your car has the aircon compressor and condensor in there. It happened to me when I bought my first car. The previous owner told me that all I need is to do a regas. However, when I brought the car to the mechanic, he told me that he can't regas because there's no condensor, compressor and pipe. ie: your car has no AIRCON!!!!! So make sure your car does have an aircon installed. It doesn't mean that there's air coming from your airbox means that you have an aircon installed. :) Like what the above said, the price varies. Avg is about $110.

Headunit - When you purchase a new headunit, there should be 2 aluminium stick that comes with it. Those are the keys where you can slot on the 2 sides of the bracket of your old headunit. Once slotted into both side of the headunit, you would be able to pull your old HU out. It's as easy as ABC. If you really need a link. Google it.

javer81
09-12-2008, 11:59 AM
gas structs : "where can i get that black plastics thingies that u can bolt the struts on ?? (hope u guys understand what i tried to say)"

I was told that the black plastics things can be bought from honda parts and accessories for about 30bucks.

"So, can anyone tell me or show me the 'link' on how to remove the centre console?"

I will make it as simple. ppl have suggested not to take it out. but if you insist, this is how you do it. if yours is a stock console, there are 4 screws on the side that you need to take it out. once its done the center console should be loose. there should be 2 in front. if you are able to locate it. once all the screw are out. you should be able to figure out how the console is to be taken out.

night_wolf
09-12-2008, 01:38 PM
its a civic GL.

Air con will cost you about $110 nothing over $150 so be carful when getting it done.

gas struts can be bought at a wrecker.

head unit although its aftermarket its sitting on a clip so use the keys, if you dont have keys use two knife's and will fit and yank the head unit out. its not complicated. if your persistent on removing your center console i need more details as to weather the interior is a Jap spec interior or ozspec and in the case of japspec where the head unit is sitting.

hope this helps.:honda:

VTECMACHINE
09-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Air con regas can cost between $100-150. I recently thought my system needed regasing. After heading to the Aircon shop, it seems I have a little hole in my aircon condenser.
The point I am trying to make is... get the system checked before, before you regas it for no reason. If it's really rooted, it can cost up to $2000 to get fixed depending where the problem lies. If it's a simple regas... you are laughing.

cymax
09-12-2008, 04:04 PM
x2 for VTECMACHINE

subie
09-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Aircon Regas - Before you carry on with aircon regas, make sure that your car has the aircon compressor and condensor in there. It happened to me when I bought my first car. The previous owner told me that all I need is to do a regas. However, when I brought the car to the mechanic, he told me that he can't regas because there's no condensor, compressor and pipe. ie: your car has no AIRCON!!!!! So make sure your car does have an aircon installed. It doesn't mean that there's air coming from your airbox means that you have an aircon installed. :) Like what the above said, the price varies. Avg is about $110.

Yep, u're right !!

what happen was, when i checked the car before i bought it, hop it, checked the air con switch, yep working but not cold and then, asked the previous owner, he said ' just need a re-gas ' so, i didn't really borthered ..

today, went to get the re-gas done and what happen was... found out that my car got missing COMPRESSOR !! and pipe from the compressor to condensor also missing !! what 's joke !! So, i went to get some qoutes for brand new compressor alone and it's $900 !!!

Well, after rang around, i found Honbit wrecker got some and i can have them for $350 delivered, which included 2nd hand compressor, those pipe from compressor to condensor, all brackets and adjuster, plus 3 mths warranty..

Then, gonna cost me around $350 to get it fitted and re-gased which is..
- to fit everything = $140.00
- to re-gas and changing oil in that 2nd hand compressor = $150.00
- and the guy who gonna do the work said ' i need to get the brand new air con filter ' this filter gonna cost me = $60.00 (do i really need to get this part ??)

by the way, those plastics thingies are costed $38 for both sides from Honda dealer. and my struts are ok and still holding the glass perfect !! thank god !!

Thanks for all ur inputs guys !!

Cheers

digler
09-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Yep, u're right !!

what happen was, when i checked the car before i bought it, hop it, checked the air con switch, yep working but not cold and then, asked the previous owner, he said ' just need a re-gas ' so, i didn't really borthered ..

today, went to get the re-gas done and what happen was... found out that my car got missing COMPRESSOR !! and pipe from the compressor to condensor also missing !! what 's joke !! So, i went to get some qoutes for brand new compressor alone and it's $900 !!!

Well, after rang around, i found Honbit wrecker got some and i can have them for $350 delivered, which included 2nd hand compressor, those pipe from compressor to condensor, all brackets and adjuster, plus 3 mths warranty..

Then, gonna cost me around $350 to get it fitted and re-gased which is..
- to fit everything = $140.00
- to re-gas and changing oil in that 2nd hand compressor = $150.00
- and the guy who gonna do the work said ' i need to get the brand new air con filter ' this filter gonna cost me = $60.00 (do i really need to get this part ??)

by the way, those plastics thingies are costed $38 for both sides from Honda dealer. and my struts are ok and still holding the glass perfect !! thank god !!

Thanks for all ur inputs guys !!

Cheers

best case of buyer beware ive heard of. bad luck mate. maybe try and get someone who has a little knowledge of cars to go with you next time you are looking at buying a car.
if the filter thing your mechanic is talking about is the reciever dryer then, yes replace it.

Reloaded
09-12-2008, 10:43 PM
hehe got my car regas for 50$ from dads friend:thumbsup:

cymax
10-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Yep, u're right !!

today, went to get the re-gas done and what happen was... found out that my car got missing COMPRESSOR !! and pipe from the compressor to condensor also missing !!

LOL! I just got that strong feeling that it'll happen that way. Oh well, lesson learned. Like what was said above, bring along someone who knows about with you next time when you purchase your next car. Anyway, GL with your aircon fix. Cheers!

subie
10-12-2008, 05:38 PM
LOL! I just got that strong feeling that it'll happen that way. Oh well, lesson learned. Like what was said above, bring along someone who knows about with you next time when you purchase your next car. Anyway, GL with your aircon fix. Cheers!

Thanks bro

anyway,, did u fixed yours ? how much did it cost ??

Cheers

tiksie
11-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Centre console = 2 top screws near the ashtray and 2 screws on the sides on the left and right of the coin pocket. All phillips head screws. Take that off and then put your hand in there and push the headunit out.. That's what I did on all of my EG's as none of them were held on by a clip! You can try your luck either way.

Here is a headunit wiring diagram if you get a chance to get it out and put a new one in:

http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/tech/Honda-Audio.JPG

cymax
11-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks bro

anyway,, did u fixed yours ? how much did it cost ??

Cheers

Sad to say, I didn't bother to fix em. I sold the car after winter. :P