PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous

Type S Tony
09-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi Everyone,

I tried searching for information in relation to fitting a nitrous kit on a k20z but couldnt really find much in the forums. Except for something on a fuel pump???

So my question is: Is it worth fitting a nitrous kit (Dry) on a standard k20z with no mods whatsoever, Could the engine handle it? is a 100hp shot overkill???

I have asked many mechanics & other enthusiasts but have had lots of mixed responses, some say itll blow the motor, others say it will work well, and a few just look at me and say "Thats Hectic"

Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction??

Im sorry if their is a similar thread i honestly couldnt find it!

Please also note the same question has been posted on hondatech.com for a while now with no responses, I dont think to many people use that site????

IEVAQ8
09-12-2008, 12:50 PM
if its tuned right it will work...........im not sure about 100hp shot though.......

maybe a 50hp shot and hondata will work really well....

although it is illigal to have it hooked up on the street and it does cost $130 per bottle fill.....

Type S Tony
09-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Does the Hondata piggyback work well with the Type S ECU? or do you think something like a G REEDY E-manage complete replacement would be better?

I am planning to do alot to the car once christmas & new years is over!

EK1.6LCIV
09-12-2008, 01:16 PM
dont run more than 75hp hit, use it dry, otherwise you'll have to go thro and change your fuelling amongst other things to handle it on a regular basis, retard the timing (prob have to do at least 2 degrees anyhow to prevent detonation)

yea, dont get caught with it ethier, install it in the boot and make a box to cover it up, make it look like a sub box, lol

also try and install the solinoids under your fuse box cover, the more that is hidden the better

Type S Tony
09-12-2008, 01:24 PM
dont run more than 75hp hit, use it dry, otherwise you'll have to go thro and change your fuelling amongst other things to handle it on a regular basis, retard the timing (prob have to do at least 2 degrees anyhow to prevent detonation)

yea, dont get caught with it ethier, install it in the boot and make a box to cover it up, make it look like a sub box, lol

also try and install the solinoids under your fuse box cover, the more that is hidden the better

Thanks for that!

V. Helpfull information, i was thinking about the sub box thing anyway but i didnt even think about the solenoids, hahahahaha.

I wanna have a nitrous set up as I remeber a cutomer at the shop i used to work at had done it to his R32 GTR and that was like "Hey Watch this s**t"

IEVAQ8
09-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Does the Hondata piggyback work well with the Type S ECU? or do you think something like a G REEDY E-manage complete replacement would be better?

I am planning to do alot to the car once christmas & new years is over!

I would run a full stand alone (replacement) hondata if I was u…..

excellent points

Thanks for that!

V. Helpfull information, i was thinking about the sub box thing anyway but i didnt even think about the solenoids, hahahahaha.

I want to have a nitrous set up as I remember a customer at the shop i used to work at had done it to his R32 GTR and that was like "Hey Watch this s**t"

Yeh it’s a good idea to hide as much as possible……….i was a a tyre shop in my local area not long ago and was checking out this customers car………..bog stock ek civic, non vtec manual sohc…………….we had to change the spare wheel…..and noticed a braided line in the boot not hooked up to anything………..so we put the car on the hoist and checked it out………………………it worked out to be the line for the nitrous bottle, but it took 3 guys and a good 20mins to find were the line when from the boot………..the customer had ran it in between the stock fuel lines……inside the plastic brackets and all……..and u could not see it……and it was plumbed into the bottom at the back of the stock standard intake arm, right before the throttle body……………..it even had a stock muffler, exhaust , headers and air box…………very deceiving………the only give away from inside was a nitrous pressure gauge……………

aaronng
09-12-2008, 01:49 PM
I wouldn't do dry, since you currently don't have an ecu to actually supply additional fuel when you introduce nitrous. A wet system would be better although both are considered illegal for street use in Australia.

Type S Tony
09-12-2008, 01:58 PM
I would run a full stand alone (replacement) hondata if I was u…..

excellent points

Yeh it’s a good idea to hide as much as possible……….i was a a tyre shop in my local area not long ago and was checking out this customers car………..bog stock ek civic, non vtec manual sohc…………….we had to change the spare wheel…..and noticed a braided line in the boot not hooked up to anything………..so we put the car on the hoist and checked it out………………………it worked out to be the line for the nitrous bottle, but it took 3 guys and a good 20mins to find were the line when from the boot………..the customer had ran it in between the stock fuel lines……inside the plastic brackets and all……..and u could not see it……and it was plumbed into the bottom at the back of the stock standard intake arm, right before the throttle body……………..it even had a stock muffler, exhaust , headers and air box…………very deceiving………the only give away from inside was a nitrous pressure gauge……………

Hahahahahhahah, What a cunningly smart idea! Ide probably try to stick to that same route as much as possible & keep the pressure guage under the dash or something, Do you know if the car drove well when nitrous was activated?

Its still pretty funyy that sum1 would spend all that money setting up a kit & all for SOHC EK.

I think Ill prob do the Exhaust first then the ECU, So I should be able to have a kit in place by April 2009

IEVAQ8
09-12-2008, 02:02 PM
yeh it was an amazing setup.......it wenmt really well.............but it was tuned with a hondata.............

chargeR
09-12-2008, 02:02 PM
There is a whole subforum dedicated to N20 over on clubrsx, it might be worth looking a to get an idea of how they roll in USDM land LINK (http://forums.clubrsx.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)

Type S Tony
09-12-2008, 02:06 PM
yeh it was an amazing setup.......it wenmt really well.............but it was tuned with a hondata.............

Sounds Hectic, gonna start buying up parts now! will post pics of everything!

There is a whole subforum dedicated to N20 over on clubrsx, it might be worth looking a to get an idea of how they roll in USDM land LINK (http://forums.clubrsx.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)

Thanks for that link, Those americans really go deep into details which is awesome, Ive already learnt that the clutch will be the first thing to go 4 sure!!!

IEVAQ8
09-12-2008, 02:11 PM
good luck........it will be good to see what gains u get

Bludger
09-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi Everyone,

I tried searching for information in relation to fitting a nitrous kit on a k20z but couldnt really find much in the forums. Except for something on a fuel pump???

So my question is: Is it worth fitting a nitrous kit (Dry) on a standard k20z with no mods whatsoever, Could the engine handle it? is a 100hp shot overkill???

I have asked many mechanics & other enthusiasts but have had lots of mixed responses, some say itll blow the motor, others say it will work well, and a few just look at me and say "Thats Hectic"

Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction??

Im sorry if their is a similar thread i honestly couldnt find it!

Please also note the same question has been posted on hondatech.com for a while now with no responses, I dont think to many people use that site????if you can't find any information, it means there is no one that has done it before.

you do it 1st, be the inovator. then tell us how you go.

so others can learn from your experience

beeza
09-12-2008, 06:01 PM
You would think the yanks have done it...

aaronng
09-12-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm sure they have. They add nitrous to everything, including their ride-on lawnmowers.

beeza
09-12-2008, 08:14 PM
ahahahaha so true ahahahahaa.Nice nice nice!!!!!!

NSPYRE
09-12-2008, 08:39 PM
to the OP:

i went thru the idea of a nitrous setup for my teg and i'll share some few key points which u may or may not know to help u along.

rule of thumb with a nitrous setup is no more than 20 shot per cylinder (therefore a 75 shot is optimal) wen used on a stock engine. a wet system is the way to go as you will always get an optimal mix of nitrogen and petrol without the high costs involved with direct-port injection. like a turbo setup, u dont want to be caught running lean so upgrade ur fuel pump (walbro is good and only set u bak around $150), as mentioned before retarding timing is not a bad idea and also use a colder set of spark plugs. also u may want to look for an after market limiter as u dont want to be hitting ur red-line and getting a fuel cut. something like a Bee*R limiter will do the job.

ur standard ECU will be fine and the standard fuel maps can be used.

other basic tips are only use at WOT - most systems come with a window switch to do this. at partial throttle, u may get puddling/pooling in ur intake manifold and u may get the famous "omg, my engine blew up using NAWSSSS" which of course is just caused from the pooling and back fire.

nitrous systems work well and are perfectly safe so long as u follow correct guide lines. a friend of mine scored 158kw @ the wheels on his B18C2 with stock internals. only downside of course is having to re-fill the bottle wen u get addicted to the happy gas :)

beeza
09-12-2008, 09:01 PM
What do you mean when you say only 20 shots per cylinder,therefore a 75 shot is optimal?

How long does it last once you press the button?

Type S Tony
10-12-2008, 09:24 AM
to the OP:

i went thru the idea of a nitrous setup for my teg and i'll share some few key points which u may or may not know to help u along.

rule of thumb with a nitrous setup is no more than 20 shot per cylinder (therefore a 75 shot is optimal) wen used on a stock engine. a wet system is the way to go as you will always get an optimal mix of nitrogen and petrol without the high costs involved with direct-port injection. like a turbo setup, u dont want to be caught running lean so upgrade ur fuel pump (walbro is good and only set u bak around $150), as mentioned before retarding timing is not a bad idea and also use a colder set of spark plugs. also u may want to look for an after market limiter as u dont want to be hitting ur red-line and getting a fuel cut. something like a Bee*R limiter will do the job.

ur standard ECU will be fine and the standard fuel maps can be used.

other basic tips are only use at WOT - most systems come with a window switch to do this. at partial throttle, u may get puddling/pooling in ur intake manifold and u may get the famous "omg, my engine blew up using NAWSSSS" which of course is just caused from the pooling and back fire.

nitrous systems work well and are perfectly safe so long as u follow correct guide lines. a friend of mine scored 158kw @ the wheels on his B18C2 with stock internals. only downside of course is having to re-fill the bottle wen u get addicted to the happy gas :)

Thanks for that, Very helpfull information. the WOT set up sounds like the way 2 go as ur right, high Compression engine and Nitrous puddles = F**CK.

Do U think that the aftermarket limiter is necessary, I mean if ur hitting Nos at lets say WOT @ 5000rpm just before v-tech, you should be able to change in time before you hit limiter right??

Will post a few kits up that im currently looking at!

aaronng
10-12-2008, 12:55 PM
What do you mean when you say only 20 shots per cylinder,therefore a 75 shot is optimal?

How long does it last once you press the button?

20 x 4 cylinder = 80 shot. So 75 shot is optimal.

It lasts as long as the switch is flicked or the button is held down until the tank is emptied.

beeza
10-12-2008, 02:08 PM
I need to read up on how they work,still confused lol

aaronng
10-12-2008, 02:49 PM
I need to read up on how they work,still confused lol

It's an N2O gas which you add into your intake manifold with added fuel. When heated up, it becomes N2 and O2. The O2 is essentially additional air for combustion. That's why wet setups are safer because the N2O is added with extra fuel to burn with the extra O2 that is released.

beeza
10-12-2008, 11:54 PM
I see,cheers mate.

mp-
11-12-2008, 02:57 AM
hmmm very interesting thread...

keep us updated on how ur car goes

grumpy rooster
12-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Did this happen? ie, did you put the nitrous on?

I'm interested to hear what you think. :)

b4dnuf
13-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah Update please..

Type S Tony
13-03-2009, 03:45 PM
nah it hasnt happened as yet as i spent a fair bit of cash on exhaust,intake & rims, I also work in the finance industry so this economic crisis is taking its toll. have alot of credit card debt atm which i wanna pay off before more mods, clutch is on its way sorta so i wanna do flywheel & clutch first, also talking to a few ppl about doing the ECU once the clutch is replaced, but i assure you people once this is done the next thing is guaranteed to be nitrous set up, i think it would be smarter for me to do the ECU first anyway, thatway i can have all the nitrous parameters set up ready to go for when i do the install!

IEVAQ8
13-03-2009, 03:52 PM
u cant setup any parameters untill u tune it with nitrious.......

i hope u dont mean u will get the car tuned NA and then bolt the nitrious 2 it and think it will be fine..............

if u wanna pay for tune once and once only, then have the cash for ecu and tune once u have installed the nitrious and go and get it done in one hit...........

NSPYRE
13-03-2009, 06:53 PM
nitrous does not require a stand-alone ecu

eg5civic
13-03-2009, 07:04 PM
dont dop it man

your floor pans will drop out

IEVAQ8
13-03-2009, 10:38 PM
nitrous does not require a stand-alone ecu

r u serious????? lol

if it doesnt require tuning to perfection, y dont u try it on ur car first..........

NSPYRE
13-03-2009, 11:06 PM
PM CL455 - member of this forum who added nitrous to his DC2. to my understanding (spoke to the person who actually installed his nitrous system) standard fuel maps were used and made 158kw@the wheels.

ignition timing however needs to be retarded a couple of degrees as mentioned in my previous post as well as a colder set of plugs installed.

sure, a stand-alone will provide greater gains but it is not essential in successfully running a nitrous setup

Type S Tony
16-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Guys, all im trying to say is ide rather do the ECU first then nitrous or do em both at the same time, but all this stuff cost $$ so most likely im gonna do the ECU first!

grumpy rooster
16-03-2009, 10:10 AM
PM CL455 - member of this forum who added nitrous to his DC2. to my understanding (spoke to the person who actually installed his nitrous system) standard fuel maps were used and made 158kw@the wheels.

ignition timing however needs to be retarded a couple of degrees as mentioned in my previous post as well as a colder set of plugs installed.

sure, a stand-alone will provide greater gains but it is not essential in successfully running a nitrous setup

You do not need a standalone ECU if you are using a wet nitrous system. That is one that has nitrous AND fuel jets. Using a wet kit you can leave your existing tune untouched and tune the mixtures with the nitrous and fuel jetting in the kit.

Ignition retard is rally only necessary for old dinosaur engines and when you are running large amounts of nitrous. Again, tuning will tell you if it is required or not. With most modern engines running say 50-75hp shots of nitrous you probably wouldn't need to run less timing if you are using a good 98+ octane fuel.

Same goes for plugs. It depends on the tuning and amount of nitrous you run. That is why it is imperative that you get the car properly tuned on a dyno whenever you are playing with nitrous. Its not a simple case of fit the kit and use the jets recommended by the manufacturer. If you do you won't have any problem leaning out, but you will have a very rich mixture and this won't produce the results it should.