PDA

View Full Version : how many kw?

dek
08-11-2003, 01:04 PM
if i got K&N panel air-filter , a full 2" stainless steel exhuast system mandrel bent extractors hi flow cat and 4.5" s/s muffler, cams (not sure what i should get to get highest performance), and an ecu(same deal with this) tuned for my 99 civic coupe VTi-R currently at 118kw?(i think it is)

how much hp would i gain approximately ??

any other mods i could do to increase hp ??

thanx

wynode
08-11-2003, 02:10 PM
How long is a piece of string?

Its hard to say really....especially given the non specific info you've given. To even give you a rough estimate we need to know what extractors, what cams, and what ECU.

Also depends on your budget!

SirAZN
08-11-2003, 02:17 PM
I've go the same car dek now IMO start with a CAI. you will already notice the difference with one on.

with the full exhaust system go with a 4-2-1 header and a 2 1/4inch cat back. Try to get a nice jap brand, I know their not cheap but I would prefer it.

cheerz :wink:

dek
08-11-2003, 02:22 PM
wynode: its because i dont know enough to post those kinda info
thats why i need help ;)

SirAZN: what are CAIs ? and where can i get them in syd

RAYTDR
08-11-2003, 02:30 PM
i would do the same CAI, but get JDM ITR 4-1 and 2.5" system with hi-flow cat

wynode
08-11-2003, 02:46 PM
dek, CAI = Cold Air Induction.

As for the exhaust, the ideal would be (as said) to get the JDM ITR extractors + a 2.5" full exhaust. NOTE that with 2.5" you will loose some low down torque with good power up high.

Do a search, as extractors have been discussed a bit already on the forums.

Hope that helps.

dek
08-11-2003, 03:03 PM
JDM ITR ?
is that a brand
or specific type
sorry for my newbieness hehe but needs to know ><

wynode
08-11-2003, 03:09 PM
JDM ITR = Japanese Domestic Market Integra Type R

The JDM ITR's have better extracters (4-1) than the Aussy delivered extractors. Also they are probably cheaper than some aftermarket extracters.

RAYTDR
08-11-2003, 03:10 PM
JDM = Japanese Domestic Market

ITR = Integra Type R

Just means extractors from a japanese Integra must be year 98+ cus before then they are same as Oz 4-2-1.

Cheers,
Matt :wink:

dek
08-11-2003, 03:14 PM
cool thanx guys

so basically its just a 98+ integra type r extractor im looking for ??

know easiest place to find them in sydney :D ??
thanx guys

Setanta
08-11-2003, 03:22 PM
CAI is the last thing I'd do. A lot of noise and no power at the wheels without other mods.

Header and exhaust would be my starting point, followed by adjustable cam wheels and an ignition advance all dyno'd. By now you have little change left from 2 grand (including tuning).

Then go cams later along with a CAI (if you must) and a second tune on the dyno - once your bank balance has recovered and is able to take another 2-2.5 grand hit (remembering you need the rest of the valvetrain).

Cheers

dek
08-11-2003, 03:39 PM
ok a couple of questions

"adjustable cam wheels and an ignition advance all dyno'd"
what does that do ?

AND

i dont quite understand
"Then go cams later along with a CAI (if you must) and a second tune on the dyno -"

a second tune ???

and what does "(remembering you need the rest of the valvetrain). "
mean ???

thxthx

ALLMTR
08-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Id recommend an enclosed pod fed with cool air, quality extractors and a 2 1/4 exhaust system

JDM ITR extractors are good.....but not the best

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1230

Muhahahahha 8)

wynode
08-11-2003, 04:45 PM
dek, don't mean to be rude but you can't expect us to explain all the basisc for you in this thread. It will take forever.

You need to understand the basics of an engine first and I suggest you read up a bit more. www.howstuffworks.com is a good place to start. Also have a look in the tech stickys.

If we explain one thing, chances are you'll have more questions than you started off with!

tanghy
08-11-2003, 04:51 PM
JDM = Japanese Domestic Market

ITR = Integra Type R

Just means extractors from a japanese Integra must be year 98+ cus before then they are same as Oz 4-2-1.

Cheers,
Matt :wink:

beofre 98 same design as oz spec but bigger collector

one more chance
08-11-2003, 04:54 PM
before jumping in the deep end and taking blind advice, i would sincerely advice you to do more research on Honda terms in particular relating to your B16A2 engine. websites such as www.honda-tech.com, www.clubrsx.com, www.clubsi.com, www.civicclub.com (particularly useful to you)....there a hundreds more, but theres a few to get you started. It better you learn for yourself instead of us giving you advice, which is clearly flying over your head.
Moreover, do a quick search here on ozhonda for answers to your questions, however since this site is still very young, the knowledge database may not be great! Give it a try anyways champ!

Setanta
08-11-2003, 05:15 PM
I'd agree with that. But they will also give bad info too and Honda-tech has a rep for not being newbie friendly :(

ALLMTR
08-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Yeah Honda tech can be harsh. Just search, read and learn.....never post hehehe

Setanta
08-11-2003, 05:21 PM
You might also like to check http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/f740/ - this is the Honda section of Autmotive forums and caters to all models with more than a few B16A owners.

Cheers

stockie
08-11-2003, 08:25 PM
i recommend not getting any extractor system that is australian made. Shit welds.. Shit designs.. They may look good but since when does "looks" give you power??

Ive been speaking to some honda tuners in the states (well not me personally by my mechanics have), and the ppl in the states test all sorts of extractor systems on vtec motors. The best are HKS extractors for the vtec. They give most hp and torque.

But unless you have 3k to spend just on a set of extractors, then i guess you could go aussie style.. but if you do have 3k to spend, can you get me a set aswell :D

dek
08-11-2003, 10:10 PM
yeh fark hks shiet are all expensive
if i had a large sum of money
id go turbo car

LatinoHatchCrap
08-11-2003, 11:16 PM
stuff the CAI! just take out your resonator box and make your own pvc piuping going from your air box throught the bumper hole and underneath the headlight VOILA! DIY ICE BOX...JDM ITR 4-1 its good choice it'll cost you about 900 (???) 2nd hand and any other headers around this price will give you similar perf. keep your exhaust at 2.25" and whatever you do get a well designed mufffler or axlebaxk system (apexi N1, spoon, mugen, magnaflow oval desing*cheap!!*) or just buy a cat back system (apexi N1 costs about 1100)

ALLMTR
09-11-2003, 03:17 AM
The best are HKS extractors for the vtec. They give most hp and torque.

No they are not and no they don't!

As far as where they are made is concerned, I'd put my headers up against ANY on the planet for a 1.8 to 2.0 litre motor. If they don't sell they are going to be sent to the States for an up and coming header dyno shootout.

one more chance
09-11-2003, 02:03 PM
thats the first ive ever heard anyone say HKS make the best headers for b series engines. stick with hks if u have a turbo car!
if u want a nice set of aus spec ITR headers, there is a good on the teamazm forums who is selling them for only $150!!! :shock:

tanghy
09-11-2003, 10:14 PM
aussie ITR headers are no diff from vtir headers except weight
all ports + outlet diameters are the same size.
I have both and have done comparison

Setanta
10-11-2003, 02:02 AM
Then someone ripped you as they are quite different in positioning of the piping into the collector, lengths etc.

EG: VTiR ones will go into an EF - but physically you have to cut the crossmember to fit ITR ones (in other words they won't fit).

one more chance
10-11-2003, 11:02 AM
aussie ITR headers are no diff from vtir headers except weight
all ports + outlet diameters are the same size.
I have both and have done comparison

:shock: thats the first ive heard of that! surely that cant be true..??? :oops:

Havok
10-11-2003, 11:04 AM
Had just under 130 whp with exhuast and ecu - b16a1

tanghy
10-11-2003, 11:33 AM
Then someone ripped you as they are quite different in positioning of the piping into the collector, lengths etc.
i thought they were differetn too
but it's a myth
AUSDM ones are SMALL

Civic Type R
10-11-2003, 12:53 PM
The best are HKS extractors for the vtec. They give most hp and torque. :D
Umm where did you hear that ? Thats a new one.
DC Sports make very good extractors and outperform Mugen.
Spoon also make extremely good ones too. I have not once heard of HKS for Hondas.

Setanta
10-11-2003, 04:52 PM
i thought they were differetn too
but it's a myth
AUSDM ones are SMALL

Umm... and yet the AU ITR makes 3-8KW less than a JDM DC2 ITR (depending on which site you look at). Either way they flow 200bhp ;)

There's something screwey here. Besides - everyone uses the JDM header anyway if they can.