PDA

View Full Version : Scraping noise on front right wheel area

Gio
12-12-2008, 06:09 AM
POSTED IN HANDLING SECTION PLZ DELETE HERE AND NOT THERE IF YOU MUST :)

Still looking for an answer

This morning on my way to work i was driving and notices a scaping sound coming from my front right wheel area when i corner to the left.

I currently have eibach progressive springs and KYB shortened shocks that have been on the car for a few thousand km's.

I doubt that it is my tyre scraping on the guard as the shocks are pretty firm and i have 15's.

Its not a constatr scaping sound when i go around a corner, it seems to happen once every rotation.:confused:

It will scrape...scrape...scrape depending on how fast im going.

If im going fast it goes scrape.scape.scrape lol

Anyone help me out :(

CB7_OWNER
12-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Did you inspect your tyre for any rocks or nails stuck in the tyre???

Gio
12-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Hey mate no i havnt as of yet cause i was late for work this morning but im sure it wouldnt be that loud if it was just a nail right?

Sounds like rubbing/scraping

cymax
12-12-2008, 10:15 AM
what you can do here is to find a big car park. turn your wheel to the left and move the car slowly. If the sound is consistence. go slower and stop when u hear the noise. Get down to your car and look at the area where the sound comes from. that is the best way to troubleshoot. There can be heaps of possibility. ;)

Gio
12-12-2008, 10:35 AM
I know where it comes from but there is no way to narrow it down anymore atm cause im at work.

The sound is consistant depending on how fast i drive.

cymax
12-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Try the wheels followed by the shaft. Trust me, you never know that it's just something sticking onto the inner side wall of your wheels... :P

Gio
12-12-2008, 10:49 AM
i hope so and thats what im thinking cause its a rotational sound

cymax
12-12-2008, 10:51 AM
I hate this kinda thing happening to me as well. I get really panic when I hear unnecessary noise coming from my car.....You might want to ask your mechanic to look into it. It's saturday tomorrow anyway. Keep us posted after resolving the problem yeah. GL!

Gio
12-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Any other ideas

What mechanical/suspension parts could it be?

It has to be something that rotates...

tiksie
12-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Your brakes ? Warped discs ?

DvSnGuYeN
12-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Your brakes ? Warped discs ?

I agree^^ Check your brakes, discs and see if there's crap on it... maybe you need to get your discs machined...

vinnY
12-12-2008, 02:11 PM
seized shock while compressed and now the tyre is scraping the plastic guard?

DvSnGuYeN
12-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Its not a constatr scaping sound when i go around a corner, it seems to happen once every rotation.

It will scrape...scrape...scrape depending on how fast im going.

If im going fast it goes scrape.scape.scrape lol

if the tyre is scraping the plastic guard, the scrape should be constant and ongoing...yeah?... but what he's saying is that it happens sorta once per wheel revolution... so there might be something stuck on the inside wall of the tyre... maybe... LoL...just tryna offer some suggestions...

vinnY
12-12-2008, 02:18 PM
if thats the case then yeah something is probably stuck behind the wheel and probably hitting the knuckle on a single rotation

cymax
12-12-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm quite sure that there's something stuck behind those wheels. I dunno. When I start to think complicated, things tend to turn out simple!

Riviera
12-12-2008, 03:35 PM
hows your wheel alignment? and is it full lock or just normal turning that it does it?

* warped disc touching the pads as is goes around, what pads u got on?
certain pads can make a scraping noise like when u lightly have the handbrake on
and reverse...

* wheel bearing is shot

finalazy
12-12-2008, 05:47 PM
my guards sometimes fall down and it makes a scraping sound when i turn the wheel inwards but not always.

ek4-guy
12-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Brake pad squeal clip

it rubs against your disc when the pads are running low, check how much meat is left on your pads

Gio
13-12-2008, 09:44 AM
if the tyre is scraping the plastic guard, the scrape should be constant and ongoing...yeah?... but what he's saying is that it happens sorta once per wheel revolution... so there might be something stuck on the inside wall of the tyre... maybe... LoL...just tryna offer some suggestions...

if thats the case then yeah something is probably stuck behind the wheel and probably hitting the knuckle on a single rotation

Hope its this simple

I'm quite sure that there's something stuck behind those wheels. I dunno. When I start to think complicated, things tend to turn out simple!

hows your wheel alignment? and is it full lock or just normal turning that it does it?

* warped disc touching the pads as is goes around, what pads u got on?
certain pads can make a scraping noise like when u lightly have the handbrake on
and reverse...

* wheel bearing is shot

About half lock

Warped discs, how does this happen, heavy breaking?

Happens without the handbrake on

my guards sometimes fall down and it makes a scraping sound when i turn the wheel inwards but not always.

Brake pad squeal clip

it rubs against your disc when the pads are running low, check how much meat is left on your pads

Will check the pads

Gio
14-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Yesterday a mate and i went for a drive in my car. Found that the noise was on the passengers side, not the drivers side.

Took the wheel off and there was rocks stuck in the brake cover.

Took 15 to get them out, they were in there pretty tight and then all was sweet.

Thanks for the help guys.