PDA

View Full Version : Lock nuts for CL9

lozzaeuro
12-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Hi guys i have recently upgraded to the 17" luxury wheels so i want some lock nuts. what size lock nuts do i need (thread size and length) so that they blend in with the other four nuts on the wheel (they are stock)

MiSloVic
13-12-2008, 06:09 AM
i would change all 5 nuts. Changing only 1 is likely to cause wheel balance problems.. Leading to vibrations. You need to do a on-wheel balancing if you are changing only one.

yfin
13-12-2008, 07:10 AM
i would change all 5 nuts. Changing only 1 is likely to cause wheel balance problems.. Leading to vibrations. You need to do a on-wheel balancing if you are changing only one.

Never heard of a lock nut impacting wheel balance. Even Honda sell a single locking nut for each wheel. When I have used a single locking nut - i didn't have any vibrations.

Xplodin
13-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Never heard of a lock nut impacting wheel balance. Even Honda sell a single locking nut for each wheel. When I have used a single locking nut - i didn't have any vibrations.
same. i've currently have the honda ones n no vibrations.

Crapdaz
13-12-2008, 07:48 AM
M12 x 1.5

make sure you check either if they are Acorn (rounded) or if they are Tapered on the wheel side.
Cause if you use the wrong ones, it could make it structurally unsound as they won't hold the wheel as well.

I don't know what the worst it could do but think that it might shred the lugnuts and your wheel falls off. <-- worst case scenario.

lozzaeuro
13-12-2008, 09:27 AM
wheels falls off

haha ok thanks guys i think im just go up to the dealer and get some honda lock nuts. was just checking if ther was a cheaper option. but the acorn nuts are quite expensive it seems anyway

Crapdaz
13-12-2008, 06:42 PM
All nuts would be expensive especially from HA.
If they are bringing it in from overseas then you should already know cause the AUD sux.

MiSloVic
13-12-2008, 07:51 PM

hmmm.. Mine did. Wasnt using honda ones, though. Had to take them off.

just did some googling, apparently, it is common for locking nuts to cause balance problems, if the nuts do not weigh the same as the others on the same wheel... afterall, it is a piece of weight attached to the wheel. every 3grammes of difference, translate to 1gramme of imbalance.
So, i supposed, if the lock nuts weigh the same as the other 4 on the same wheel, you are not likely to get vibrations..

SPQR
15-12-2008, 11:19 PM
I've got Gorilla Guard Lock Nuts from the USA on my CL9. I haven't noticed any balance problems.

An Australian retailer:
http://www.wheelking.com.au/Announcements/tabid/204/ctl/ViewItem/mid/662/ItemId/3/Default.aspx

Manufacturer's site:
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/gorilla.locks

Crapdaz
16-12-2008, 07:57 AM

just did some googling, apparently, it is common for locking nuts to cause balance problems, if the nuts do not weigh the same as the others on the same wheel... afterall, it is a piece of weight attached to the wheel. every 3grammes of difference, translate to 1gramme of imbalance.
So, i supposed, if the lock nuts weigh the same as the other 4 on the same wheel, you are not likely to get vibrations..

the only reason i can think of that can make it unbalanced is if you didn't have the wheel flush on the hub surface which then when you tightened the nuts they weren't structurally holding the wheel properly causing it to have unbalanced weight.

viper8548
16-12-2008, 08:16 AM

imo any difference in weight will cause imbalance, it just depends if the difference is big enough to cause vibrations

SPQR
16-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Thankfully, nuts are located near the hub where weight differences have little effect on balance. If they were located near the rim then the effect could be felt (blokes would be falling over in the street as they walked!). Weights at the rim are adjusted down to the gram. A gram at the hub is not noticeable.

MiSloVic
16-12-2008, 08:50 AM
the only reason i can think of that can make it unbalanced is if you didn't have the wheel flush on the hub surface which then when you tightened the nuts they weren't structurally holding the wheel properly causing it to have unbalanced weight.

yup.. i suspected that as well, and had double checked and swap the nuts around to make sure. didn't really help.

BusterSonic12
12-03-2009, 10:49 AM
the thread size and length doesn't matter with rims does it?

I have upgraded to 18" Rays GGames 77M, the one with the red lip edge and planning to get the Rays short wheel lock nuts for it, what thread size and length would i need then?

Crapdaz
12-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Thread size M12x1.5

BusterSonic12
12-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Thread size M12x1.5

so stock and aftermarket rims will not affect it?

Crapdaz
12-03-2009, 11:04 AM
shape may be diff where the lugs sit against the wheel surface.

check whether your rim has a ball edge or tapered edge where the nut seats the rim surface.

See diagram
http://www.ajeepthing.com/images/lug_nut.jpg

It's been covered before in the noob forum too.

BusterSonic12
12-03-2009, 11:36 AM
shape may be diff where the lugs sit against the wheel surface.

check whether your rim has a ball edge or tapered edge where the nut seats the rim surface.

See diagram
http://www.ajeepthing.com/images/lug_nut.jpg

It's been covered before in the noob forum too.

The rays nuts are tapered one i think.

Crapdaz
12-03-2009, 12:09 PM
The rays nuts are tapered one i think.
yes they are.

Just check your rims to see if they are for tapered/round or flat.

yfin
12-03-2009, 07:07 PM
the thread size and length doesn't matter with rims does it?

I have upgraded to 18" Rays GGames 77M, the one with the red lip edge and planning to get the Rays short wheel lock nuts for it, what thread size and length would i need then?

the rays nuts are rubbish - don't make the mistake i made. they are not secure and they are not durable

mcgard splinedrive are much better

Crapdaz
13-03-2009, 06:07 AM
yfin - are the mcgards aluminium or steely anodised?
yeh, rays looked a bit too cheap and nasty, hence why i ended up getting a set of 5zigen pro racer ones which were quite good. Only down fall aluminium is a bit soft...

racerwannabe
13-03-2009, 10:33 AM
The McGards are steel...i was going to purchase them but a bit pricey at the moment with the shit exchange rate ~$150 shipped...although it is still cheaper than Rays and heaps better!!! I got the Gorilla 6 spline tuner nuts instead..they are much cheaper but are made of steel and good quality too! Mutegi is also another brand that is very good...apparently they are made in Japan.

Crapdaz
13-03-2009, 10:40 AM
you mean muteki,

but yeh all steely nuts are good cause they wear better than al ones.