PDA

View Full Version : RCA splitters

minircc
13-12-2008, 07:59 PM
I have a Sony Head unit with 2xRCA-output cables connecting it to a 4 channel amplifier with 4xRCA-inputs.

I was told to use RCA Y-splitters at the amplifier to connect it all up. Sounds simple, but i haven't been able to find them??
I have tried Dick Smith, JayCar and a few other stores but no one seems to stock them. I would have thought they would be a common product.

Anyone know where i can get these?

na-118
13-12-2008, 11:32 PM
supercheap auto sell them

minircc
14-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Great, thanks for that, I didn't even think of them even though i was just there the other day to buy a clay kit and some wipers! lol

minircc
23-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Got them! Just installed a sony mp3 HU, 4ch amp and 12inch sub.. man it's awesome!
The red backlight on the sony HU really suits the DC5s.
I wasn't really a fan of the original silver HU. Had to get rid of it.. LoL

tron07
24-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Based on our tests, use these type of spliters
http://jimmyauw.com/wp-datajim/audio/37_split2.jpg

and not these

http://www.worldofcables.com/store/catalog/Thumnail/AUD-1500-01.jpg

A.G.System
26-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Or don't use splitters at all and buy a better deck.

Remember if you have a 5v RCA and split it you technically have 2x2.5v.
Although it will still work. Just not to full potential.

Personally I'd sell the deck and buy a 3x RCA deck and also a cheap monoblock for your sub. You'll be surprised at the difference.

blabla
30-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Or don't use splitters at all and buy a better deck.

Remember if you have a 5v RCA and split it you technically have 2x2.5v.
Although it will still work. Just not to full potential.

Personally I'd sell the deck and buy a 3x RCA deck and also a cheap monoblock for your sub. You'll be surprised at the difference.

Best option and worth the extra expense.

minircc
12-01-2009, 08:49 PM
thanks for the advice guys. the sub is pumping super hard and clear, so i think i can live with the splitter for now. i can definately tell the extra difference when I take the splitter off and just use 2 channels for the sub.

i wonder how competition/show cars install 10+ amplifers in a car.. wiring must be a nightmare.

VTi_b0i
12-01-2009, 08:56 PM
sorry to hi jack, but seeing as theres a thread i might aswell add...
im having a bit of a problem with my run around...
ive got a JVC head deack which i like so i dont really want to sell it, but im running 2 amps, 1 for the front splits and rear 6inch 4ways, and a mono block for the 2x clarion 12s...
when i tried to run the front splits off the amp aswell, turns out i needed splitters, so i got them... put them in, and now i get really bad engine noise :S my power cable is on the passenger side and RCA's and speaker wire on the drivers side.
WTF IS WRONG! lmao

A.G.System
13-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Ok first of all you should be able to run the sub off of the seperate 3rd RCA channel. This means that you dont need splitters. Either that or set your hi/lo pass filters and use the RCA out on your amp if you have it to go from the 4 chan to the Mono.

Second problem.

Engine noise is 99% of the time directly caused by bad grounding. (i say 99 because there is always that one rare case that its something else that you just cant explain)

3 things to check

1. is your ground cables for the amps negative as thick as the ground cables for your amps positive. If not fork out some cash at your local Audio store and get some asap.

2. Are the ground points getting GOOD connection, get some sand paper to them and make sure no built up paint or whatever is getting in the way.

3. Have you earthed your deck?

On the back of the JVC and most other decent decks there is a small tab that accepts a female blade style plug onto it. run a ground from that to a good earth on the chassis. It doesnt need to be super thick wire but make sure its not shitty 22gauge either.

Try all that and let us know.

There is a last resort that some people will tell you to get and thats a "grounding kit"

These are a waste of money and some quality time and effort with some good cables and rung terminals will give you a much better improvement and actually fix the issue instead of just mask it.

Let us know how you go.

VTi_b0i
14-01-2009, 01:20 PM
lol wow! thanks for that :D now i just gotta find time to do all this LOL

trism
14-01-2009, 04:41 PM
a grounding kit wont help fix engine noise

everything else tho will

never ever buy a noise suppresor

its a bandaid solution. its exactly the same as putting no more smoke in the oil of a car. it will help fix it in teh short term, but the problem will always be there

VTi_b0i
14-01-2009, 05:26 PM
what do u mean by 3rd RCA channel tho? my deck only has 2 RCA inputs... 1x red and 1 x white...

arverson
14-01-2009, 05:42 PM
think he meant a 3rd pair. you only have 1 pair..

VTi_b0i
14-01-2009, 05:54 PM
lol if i only have one pair, how can i use the 3rd pair? LOL

A.G.System
14-01-2009, 08:11 PM
If you only have 1 pair you may want to look at getting rid of the deck and buying one that has 3x RCAs (preferably 3volt or above).

What your basically trying to do is similar to trying to get supercar performance from a Honda City.

Sure they may go fast but they just dont cut it.

If you want to stick with a JVC deck look at the higher end CD or DVD decks.

From memory the models KDV 7406 and above all have the independant sub out, meaning that you have an integrated hi/lo pass filter in the deck.

Will set you back around the $300 mark but you will get heaps more sound and power out of them.

arverson
14-01-2009, 09:00 PM
lol if i only have one pair, how can i use the 3rd pair? LOL

i wasnt saying use the magical 3rd on on yours.. was implying to get another headunit with 3 pairs.

VTi_b0i
16-01-2009, 01:06 PM
thanks for that guys... i dont particularly want to get another deck as my one is only about a year old and has all the features i want... ill try find which one it is...
i might just get rid of the mono block and 1 sub and run 1x 5 channel amp insted :p

VTi_b0i
16-01-2009, 01:14 PM
it is a JVC KD-PDR55