PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the tape off the front window....

ludecrs
14-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Has anyone here done it?

I did mine today, and it looks so much "fresher" but I'm left with gluey residue over the paintwork that I just can't remove. In patches, the tape removed the glue, but 95% of the window frame still has glue residue on it.

I've tried:
Septone Wax & Grease Remover.
Meguiars Paint Cleaner.
Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Clay bar.
Meguairs Clay Bar.
Boiling hot water & sponge.

All to no avail.

Anyone have any suggestions?

revolution
14-12-2008, 08:44 PM
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69845&hl=tape

You could try some bug and tar remover. I would suggest parking it in the sun on a nice hot day to soften up that sticky residue which should help some what.

Vuey
15-12-2008, 08:04 AM
hey Ludecrs

ive did it to my red S2k ....

i had gluey shit left as well .

what worked well for me was WD40 .

i then used a hard plastic spoon covered with a thin cloth and scrapped it off.

soaf the glue in WD40 ... leave it for 2-3mins and start to scrap . it comes off 100% . Then just give the car a wash .

ludecrs
15-12-2008, 09:54 AM
ahhh Cheers Vuey, I'l try that one tomorrow

Zdster
15-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I would be worried about trying WD40 on paint work. I use eucalyptus oil - put some on a cloth, rub it lightly on the spot (let it sink in a little and rub off).

ek4-guy
15-12-2008, 11:16 AM
You could try vegetable or citrus oil

just wipe a generous amount on leave it for a minute or 2 then rub it with a cloth dampend with the same

edit: lol i didn't read the post above but eucalyptus oil should also work

JasonGilholme
15-12-2008, 11:17 AM
wd40 is fine on paint work.

don't use metho or kero though.

bug & tar remover is harsher then wd40.

Zdster
15-12-2008, 11:47 AM
wd40 is fine on paint work.

don't use metho or kero though.

bug & tar remover is harsher then wd40.

I am probably wrong, but doesnt wd40 have a bit of metho/kero in it?

JasonGilholme
15-12-2008, 12:07 PM
not sure but i've never had any dramas with it. mind you i don't leave it on long enough to find out. hehe

rokkuchan
15-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Easiest and cheapest way is meguires buffing pad or wax applicator pads, and heat up glue with hair dryer...

Use hair dryer to warm up and melt the glue a little bit and then start buffing or using the meguires or whatever wax applicator pads in clockwise (Mr. Miyagi style - wax on / wax off) and it will start rubbing off... the glue will stick to the pad more instead of your paint work.

WORKS like a treat.

Did it to my motorbike 'warning stickers'... and they hard as hell to get off.

Ferrari
15-12-2008, 07:26 PM
I dont have the balls to do that yet, how does it look with the roof up Ludes?

ludecrs
15-12-2008, 11:29 PM
I really like it tbh. Looks totally "fresh / new / modern" etc. I even like it with the gluey residue on it, so I think it will pan out alright in the end.

I never had the balls to do it either..... then I picked at it and pulled it a bit, and a large chunk of tape snapped off. I was like.... guess I have to do it now!! hahahaha.

But no, it looks better IMO. Here's a craptacular picture of Jono's S when he was doing his KW V3's. As you know his is NFR too, so maybe you can get a feeler for yourself if you want to do it or not?

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/62600/3330839d.jpg

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'll try some of the ideas tomorrow.

Ferrari
16-12-2008, 06:10 AM
One day when Im bored and I have upgraded everything I can, I will look at my S and think the tape has to go lol.

MRK-01
16-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Cure it looks good, but why did honda put it there in the first place..? I looked at mine, the roof would look out of place if it was not black. Was this a cheap way for honda to save on painting the whole car properly..? Does the paint under this tape have clearcoat on it..?
What if it looks crap underneath, what type of tape is used to put back there..? You would need to remove the seals to fit perfectly yeah..?

ludecrs
16-12-2008, 10:50 AM
It's believed it was put there on the earlier models for 2 reasons:

1. To match the black soft top.
2. To possibly hide any blemishes in the paintwork up there.

On the later models, there is no tape at all, and its just the color coded window frame.

It can't look crap underneath, its brand new clear coated paintwork thats been hidden for 8years LOL.

I used a very sharp knife and lifted the seal enough to cut the tape underneath the seal. Not a hard job - and thus not requiring a new seal / removing seal from its mounted points already in place.

Vuey
16-12-2008, 11:50 AM
I would be worried about trying WD40 on paint work. I use eucalyptus oil - put some on a cloth, rub it lightly on the spot (let it sink in a little and rub off).

lets get one thing clear ... im not some joker with a bright idea, i had actually done this already myself and i would not recommend something to someone else that could possibly damage their car.

You could try vegetable or citrus oil

just wipe a generous amount on leave it for a minute or 2 then rub it with a cloth dampend with the same

edit: lol i didn't read the post above but eucalyptus oil should also work you dont want veg oil to run into parts of the car you cannot clear out . As it is plant based , it will break down over time , and may erode bits .

Zdster
16-12-2008, 12:27 PM
lets get one thing clear ... im not some joker with a bright idea, i had actually done this already myself and i would not recommend something to someone else that could possibly damage their car.

Mate you need to remove the pole from your nether regions. Reread what I wrote and i think you will find I was at no point attacking you.

Further to your point, just because you have done something on your car doesnt mean it is a good idea :s.

Vuey
16-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Mate you need to remove the pole from your nether regions. Reread what I wrote and i think you will find I was at no point attacking you.

Further to your point, just because you have done something on your car doesnt mean it is a good idea :s.

mate , point out where i referenced you in any sort of personal way ?

as for it being a good idea, i did my research on S2ki.com to get the facts from about 100 odd people who also removed the tape.

Zdster
16-12-2008, 05:29 PM
mate , point out where i referenced you in any sort of personal way ?

You quoted me and then said

That is pretty much a shot at me and what i had written :o

ludecrs
16-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Calm down you two. Play nice, just a misunderstanding.

*waves his magic mod wand*

:p

aznsiko
17-12-2008, 01:41 PM
lol.. itsgetting HOT in here.. all in all good idea.. but everyone got their own point of view..

ludecrs
18-12-2008, 01:38 PM
WD-40 is a no go.

Have moved onto hair dryer / blow gun to little success but very slow job.

Going to go buy some prepsol now.

beeza
18-12-2008, 01:53 PM
What tape is it that you guys are talking about?

ludecrs
18-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Got it all off, and with only 1 blister - on my thumb!

Later down the track, I'll have the window pulled, cleaned properly and a replacement rubber put on, but for now, its good to go. :thumbsup:

xntrik
18-12-2008, 06:00 PM
ahhh Cheers Vuey, I'l try that one tomorrow

scratch X works. lol

Ferrari
18-12-2008, 06:55 PM
got pics?

Vuey
19-12-2008, 07:37 AM
WD-40 is a no go.

Have moved onto hair dryer / blow gun to little success but very slow job.

Going to go buy some prepsol now.

ahahahaha

when i say use WD-40 ... i mean soak the MF in it ... use like half a can on it !

doesnt matter , got it off now .

Regret it now ? :p

beeza
19-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Is it the rubber seal around the front window?

ludecrs
19-12-2008, 08:48 PM
got pics?

nah. take some Monday if you like?

I also found another (and wayyyyyyyy cheaper) alternative to 303 / meguairs / mothers black roof stuff), water resistant too :thumbsup:

Is it the rubber seal around the front window?

yes. its not rubber, its black tape around the window frame.

ahahahaha

when i say use WD-40 ... i mean soak the MF in it ... use like half a can on it !

doesnt matter , got it off now .

Regret it now ? :p

You'll have to ask my left thumb which has a few ml of blister fluid in it. LOL.

beeza
19-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Cheers mate.

Maybe some before and after shots...

ludecrs
22-12-2008, 04:17 PM
got pics?

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/146255/3332560d.jpg

Before:
http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/146255/3330467d.jpg

After:
http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/146255/3332559b.jpg

And a random shot which would have been totally awesome, had I of bothered to actually wash my car beforehand!

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/146255/3332560b.jpg

y0da
04-01-2009, 09:39 AM
I can't see the difference :(

ludecrs
04-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Well thats a good thing I guess. LOL.

beeza
05-01-2009, 10:37 AM
I can't see the difference :(

Me 3.

its.not.ali
11-01-2009, 12:48 AM
if it was a brighter colour, say yellow or white.. im sure the difference would be more apparent.

what a pointless process of manufacturing the car. painting, then applying sticker :|

its.not.ali
11-01-2009, 12:49 AM
also, cheers for posting up the pics :) shows us all (those who can tell the diff lol) the difference

Simy
11-01-2009, 10:45 AM
nice, its hard to see from just 1 pic with the top up, does look a lil outa place but unique.. now i wanna do it.. but cbf..lol

thou with the top down it looks awesome..

beeza
12-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah looks better.

Finially found what you're talking about,cheers.

ludecrs
12-01-2009, 07:32 PM
The car has a photoshoot scheduled in for Feb 22nd with a bunch of promo girls for an upcoming promotions website, so when that comes about, I'll post up a few new pictures, taken by a professional LOL, so hopefully its easier to tell the difference.

beeza
12-01-2009, 08:03 PM
If you look above the front window,there is the black piece of rubber that goes around the window.Outside that is another piece of black tape that goes right around the top and sides of the window.It's that piece that has beed removed.

There ya go :)