PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium 0.5mm Thick used around TB as a gasket

Crapdaz
16-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi,

I wanted to find out how bad is it to run an Aluminium sheet 0.5mm thick as a gasket around the TB?
My application is used to block a fraction of the hole from the TB + Manifold so i can use the TB spacer which was the incorrect part.

Application process:
RBC manifold > PR2 TB gasket > 1x Al gasket (DIY) > P2R Spacer > 1x Al gasket (DIY) > TB > Intake

Please let me know ASAP as i need to know if it is a bad thing. As i researched the melting point of Al and it has a large melting point.

Regards and Many thanks for my noobish ness....
Darren

tinkerbell
16-12-2008, 09:11 PM
the OEM one is a fibre/paper composite, so Al should be ok.

as long as it doesnt leak vacuum...

(but i dont exactly understand your scenario?)

Crapdaz
16-12-2008, 09:16 PM
the OEM one is a fibre/paper composite, so Al should be ok.

as long as it doesnt leak vacuum...

(but i dont exactly understand your scenario?)
The TB spacer i have is designed for the TSX which it only has the intake tube opening whereas our manifold has a extra rectangular hole just below the main opening.

The one i have.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll315/Crapdaz/DSC00211.jpg

The one i should have gotten hence why i made a gasket to block that rectangular cut out section as the IM would have that hole also so leaks major vacuum.
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/images/p2rgoldandblackspacers.JPG

i have test run it and it makes the euro less breathless than stock also sounds slightly different.
Here is a pic of the engine bay, will clarify if leaking tomorrow.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll315/Crapdaz/DSC00250.jpg

Was slightly unsettled in revvs but have already retighten bolts until unable to turn.

tinkerbell
16-12-2008, 10:27 PM
you can try buying cork/rubber gasket sheets from AutoOne and cutting your own 'custom' gaskets... thery are about 1mm thick...

these will stop vacuum leaks that lead to the unsettled idle...

dsp26
16-12-2008, 11:06 PM
lol.. i had the same prob using itr spacer on b16a... has the hole for fitv... i ended up filling mine with polyurethane.... NOT recommended lol.

if that is the case as yours.. probably best to use the aluminium.. but use sealant in that area.

Crapdaz
17-12-2008, 06:27 AM
you can try buying cork/rubber gasket sheets from AutoOne and cutting your own 'custom' gaskets... thery are about 1mm thick...

these will stop vacuum leaks that lead to the unsettled idle...

lol.. i had the same prob using itr spacer on b16a... has the hole for fitv... i ended up filling mine with polyurethane.... NOT recommended lol.

if that is the case as yours.. probably best to use the aluminium.. but use sealant in that area.

But yeh thanks tinkerbell i wanted to get 1mm thick one but couldn't find any, should have really called around, you know how much one of those sheets would cost ? Will give it a try.

dsp26 - rofl hahahah how hot does your TB area get? Did you do TB coolant bypass? cause i did mine and it reaches around 60deg so it's half decent.

Also i had to change the aluminium gasket in between the Manifold + Spacer cause when i tighten too much it bends and has vacuum leakage.

Crapdaz
17-12-2008, 07:08 AM
Might add some sealant around that rectangular cut out so the Al sheet doesn't leak.

dsp26
17-12-2008, 07:48 AM
dsp26 - rofl hahahah how hot does your TB area get? Did you do TB coolant bypass? cause i did mine and it reaches around 60deg so it's half decent.

Also i had to change the aluminium gasket in between the Manifold + Spacer cause when i tighten too much it bends and has vacuum leakage.

TB stays cool, my kit (outlaw engineering) also came with the small round bolt spacers too for the TB side (opposite tb/plenum spacer) to prevent heat transfer through the bolts + yeah did the coolant bypass.

But i'll be honest the IM spacer doesn't do much unless you have the IACV spacer also... the IACV has direct contact with the plenum and causes more heat transfer than the head since head heat still has to travel the runners.... but this is on B-series.. dunno if you have iacv.

Crapdaz
17-12-2008, 07:56 AM
TB stays cool, my kit (outlaw engineering) also came with the small round bolt spacers too for the TB side (opposite tb/plenum spacer) to prevent heat transfer through the bolts + yeah did the coolant bypass.

But i'll be honest the IM spacer doesn't do much unless you have the IACV spacer also... the IACV has direct contact with the plenum and causes more heat transfer than the head since head heat still has to travel the runners.... but this is on B-series.. dunno if you have iacv.

i think it does but not 100%.

Well cause i have the RBC compared to the stock RBB, i could feel a noticeably slight different in response as there is more air going to the block. Alot less chuggy compared to stock euro.

But then again might just be my mind playing trix!

Will do the sealant to see if it fixes the problem first and paint my DIY gaskets black too, then i need to clearcoat my rear brakelights.

Dang sucks glad holidayz are coming around.

aaronng
17-12-2008, 08:35 AM
You need a gasket on both sides of the aluminium plate to avoid leaks

Crapdaz
17-12-2008, 08:37 AM
You need a gasket on both sides of the aluminium plate to avoid leaks

done, i have blocked off the IM hole with my AL gask.

IM > Al Gasket > P2R gasket (support) > TB spacer > Al Gasket > Stock Gasket w/ TB

if i over tighten the TB bolts, it will overstress the Al and there will be leakZ

dsp26
17-12-2008, 08:48 AM
i think it does but not 100%.

Well cause i have the RBC compared to the stock RBB, i could feel a noticeably slight different in response as there is more air going to the block. Alot less chuggy compared to stock euro.

But then again might just be my mind playing trix!

Will do the sealant to see if it fixes the problem first and paint my DIY gaskets black too, then i need to clearcoat my rear brakelights.

Dang sucks glad holidayz are coming around.

I was thinking the same and never actually dynoed to see... if anything, depending on how thick your spacers are.. slightly increases plenum volume...

K-series guys are lucky having IM at the front.. B-series IM is a pain in the arse.. always takes me around 3hrs to r&r...

aarons right though need one on each side for both IM and TB.. kit should've come with it... i just ended up opting to put a very thin layer of sealant on it as it seals perfectly for me everytime. but just don't use too much that when you squich them that coolant oozes out into the intake path.. don't want that in ur engine.

in case anyone else is interested in this in future you can opt to get this complete kit insteal at www.outlawengineering.com

Crapdaz
17-12-2008, 08:54 AM
I was thinking the same and never actually dynoed to see... if anything, depending on how thick your spacers are.. slightly increases plenum volume...

K-series guys are lucky having IM at the front.. B-series IM is a pain in the arse.. always takes me around 3hrs to r&r...

aarons right though need one on each side for both IM and TB.. kit should've come with it... i just ended up opting to put a very thin layer of sealant on it as it seals perfectly for me everytime. but just don't use too much that when you squich them that coolant oozes out into the intake path.. don't want that in ur engine.

in case anyone else is interested in this in future you can opt to get this complete kit insteal at www.outlawengineering.com (http://www.outlawengineering.com)

rofl yeh, hahaha will fix it up on my way home to pick up some liquid gasket, do you know which one is suitable for it?

yeh haha outlawengineering sounds like sound badass backyard gangsta stuff.
let me check it out. :p

yeh love the high revving K series buddy, but extremely hotter as well.

Thanks for your help dsp.
Was a very productive noobie thread.... :p

aaronng
17-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Try Permatex Ultra Blue first. However, if you have to take it apart in the future, make sure you clean up the residue properly.

Crapdaz
17-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Try Permatex Ultra Blue first. However, if you have to take it apart in the future, make sure you clean up the residue properly.

damn aaron you are a head full of knowledge!

Will see whats good for it at autobarn or supercheap.

dsp26
17-12-2008, 09:51 AM
^^he's right also the permatex blue... that one actually won't dissolve with throttlebody cleaner once cured unlike my sikaflex that i used to block the fitv hole

Crapdaz
17-12-2008, 10:23 AM
^^he's right also the permatex blue... that one actually won't dissolve with throttlebody cleaner once cured unlike my sikaflex that i used to block the fitv hole

damn, sikaflex :p

known for sticking on lip spoilers onto the car. Yeh will see how i go with deciding what i want.

Btw picked up castrol edge 5W 30 @ supercheap for $39.95 yesterday.

Crapdaz
17-12-2008, 06:15 PM
anyways, i added a lining from liquid gasket i picked up from supercheap.

It has dropped the revs from initially 1.5k to 1.2k (half cold start).
Then almost drops down to 800rpm which sounds decent enough.

Touched the spacer area and doesnt seem to be any vacuum leak noticeable enough.