PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure/Temperature Thread

JasonGilholme
17-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Hey guys,

Just thought it'd be a good idea to see what everyones oil pressure is running at to get a better idea of how our engines are comparing with each other. Main reason i thought of this is cause i believe my oil pressure is runnin a bit low on idle and was wondering if other people are seeing the same readings as me.

Copy and paste and fill in your details

Oil pressure: 10 psi - 70 psi
Oil temp: 85 c - 105 c
Sensor Location: Oil temp and pressure at the oil filter (adaptor plate)
Gauge Type: Saber 60mm Electronic Gauges

Hope people find this info helpful :thumbsup:

string
17-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Fully warmed up at 750rpm I get around 30psi with a non-vtec B-series oil pump. 10psi sounds too low for any condition.

JasonGilholme
17-12-2008, 08:48 PM
i get 30 psi when the water temp is up but once the oil temp comes up the pressure is down to about 10 - 20 at idle.

aaronng
17-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Is your pressure reading from before or after the oil filter? Readings before the oil filter don't really count because there is a maximum limit where the oil filter's bypass valve opens and you don't get a reading higher than that.

JasonGilholme
17-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Its a sandwhich plate between the filter and the block. Measures from the outside of the filter. (dunno if thats inlet or outlet)

IEVAQ8
17-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Oil pressure: 25-30 psi on idle once warm & 70-82.5 psi at 8000rpm....
Oil temp: warm
Sensor Location: oil filter sandwich plate
Gauge Type: autometer carbon electronic

JasonGilholme
17-12-2008, 09:30 PM
hmmm... :/

May have to bump up my oil pressure. (add washers to the oil pressure relief valve)

What would be the cause of a low oil pressure reading? pump on the way out?

Limbo
17-12-2008, 10:07 PM
its prob reading after the oil filter. On the sandwich plate which side did you put the reading for pressure? is it in or out of the plate?

The better spot is a T piece off the OEM oil pressure sensor. Your reaching 70PSI so i don't think you've got an oil pressure problem. It you did you would read a lower PSI.

My temp reads 85 - 90 degrees pretty much 99% of time. Been having higher temp due to busted thermostat, just found out today. Thaks to Toda for working it out for me on short notice

nd55
17-12-2008, 10:08 PM
> Its a sandwhich plate between the filter and the block.

Unless you spent $$$ on a Mocal or other top line sandwich plate, the ports tap the inlet of the oil filter. ie dirty oil.

10psi per 1000rpm sounds very normal.

> What would be the cause of a low oil pressure reading?

Not really the person with enough experience to respond to this.

Let's say it's an old engine with loose clearances, so the pressure drops a bit.
Using light 10-30W oil? It's like water when its warmed up.

Nick.

JasonGilholme
18-12-2008, 07:23 AM
yeah all 4 of the taps for sensors go into the outside area of the filter.

Currently using 0 - 40

TODA AU
18-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Is your pressure reading from before or after the oil filter? Readings before the oil filter don't really count because there is a maximum limit where the oil filter's bypass valve opens and you don't get a reading higher than that.

Actually the oil filter bypass valve responds to pressure differential in the filter,
Ie: A blocked filter.
It has no effect on & is not a pressure relief valve for the whole system.
The system pressure relief valve is found in the pump.

DLO01
18-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Yeh, Jase, your pressure seems on the low side. And your measuring 'before' the filter (which is the outside of filter)

I have this written down in my diary, but I can't seem to find where I got it from in my manual.

These are 'minimum' pressures:
70kpa (10psi) @ Idle
340kpa (49psi) @ 3000rpm

My stats:
Oil pressure: 30 psi - 83 psi (warm) (modified relief valve)
Oil temp: 80 c - 100c ((street driving) depend on driving style)
Sensor Location: Oil temp and pressure at the oil filter (relocation plate)
Gauge Type: Defi's

JasonGilholme
18-12-2008, 08:08 AM
cool dean. Thanks man :thumbsup:

I'm starting to think that my oil pressure is ok. At 3000 rpm i'm getting around 50-60 psi (depending on oil temperature). The hotter the less pressure i get.

Just the reading at idle is a bit concerning.

Can anyone shed any light on why oil pressure would be reading on the low side? Too light weight oil? or a pump thats not performing to spec?

and would adjusting the pressure relief valve be a suitable fix? or is it just a band aid solution to a bigger problem?

aaronng
18-12-2008, 08:38 AM
yeah all 4 of the taps for sensors go into the outside area of the filter.

Currently using 0 - 40

0w-40 at 105 ºC will read about 10 psi.
I am using 10w-40 and at only 85 ºC, I am already seeing as low as 15psi.

aaronng
18-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Just the reading at idle is a bit concerning.

Can anyone shed any light on why oil pressure would be reading on the low side? Too light weight oil? or a pump thats not performing to spec?

and would adjusting the pressure relief valve be a suitable fix? or is it just a band aid solution to a bigger problem?

No, it is caused by high temperature and low engine RPM coupled with your oil viscosity.

fatboyz39
18-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Oil pressure: n/a
Oil temp: With oil cooler blocked 80-90 degree
Sensor Location: Oil temp at the oil filter (adaptor plate)
Gauge Type: Defi 60mm Electronic Gauges

JasonGilholme
18-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks aaronng. Its what i was thinking but was unsure as i've read other info as well.

Thanks for all the info guys. Lots of good info in here.

If other people could post up their actual readings for others to view i think it would be good as a reference.

Dean Machine
18-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Hey guys not tryin to hijack the thread but i've just got myself both oil temp and oil pressure guages off a mate, no instructions included but all the parts it came with are there. The sensor parts seem as though they screw in somewhere? The sensor for the pressure is a fairly big unit where as the temp sensor is only small. Where abouts should they go to give me the best reading?

JasonGilholme
18-12-2008, 03:48 PM
PM EG5, a trader on ozhonda. he'll be able to send you an oil filter adaptor plate to house the sensors.

They look like this:

http://www.flat4online.co.uk/catalog/images/GS-0S10.jpg

Picture isn't from him but they're roughly the same design.

Dean Machine
18-12-2008, 04:19 PM
thanks jason how much am i looking at for one?

JasonGilholme
18-12-2008, 04:27 PM
60 ish roughly.

totally recomend JDMYard as someone to buy it from. The design of the adaptor plate i got lets you clock it the way you need to to get things fitting nicely, as well as getting it all tight enough to not get leaks.

Limbo
18-12-2008, 04:45 PM
I get 10PSI also when its hot, cold i get 20PSI.
i also get a top of 70PSI, but i have an oil cooler which dropped my pressure by 5PSI or so

Dean Machine
19-12-2008, 02:21 PM
thannks jason, will make sure i look into one

aaronng
19-12-2008, 02:29 PM
60 ish roughly.

totally recomend JDMYard as someone to buy it from. The design of the adaptor plate i got lets you clock it the way you need to to get things fitting nicely, as well as getting it all tight enough to not get leaks.

I have the sandwich plate with the double o-ring (also from JDM yard) and it is good. It doesn't leak where the plate meets the filter mount. But you do have to get good 1/8" NPT plugs and some high temperature anaerobic sealant. I used PTFE tape for the plugs and sealant for the senders.

mooshie
23-12-2008, 09:27 PM
My oil pressure stays at about 30 when cold at idle and drops to about 25 when warm. Seems to be about 75 at speed regardless of temp.
I am a bit concerned about my temps though, sits at about 225F in traffic or around town, but on the freeway or at higher revs it sits around 250 and even as high as 270F
(110-130C) seems too high to me. Readings are at the filter using a sandwich plate and Autometer elec gauges.
This is on a turbo motor, I think I am gonna have to get an oil cooler.

aaronng
23-12-2008, 10:40 PM
My oil pressure stays at about 30 when cold at idle and drops to about 25 when warm. Seems to be about 75 at speed regardless of temp.

THe reason why it sits at 75 no matter what temperature is because 75 is when the bypass valve in the oil filter opens up.