PDA

View Full Version : Child Restraint Points... 1999 Honda CRV

Glitta
19-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Hey guys!

I don't have the books for my CRV and I can't seem to locate the middle locking point for a child restraint in my CRV the two side ones are on the roof at the back but where's the middle one???

If anyone who has the same car could just have a quick look in their manual for me I would appreciate it :)

Thanks
G :)

yorrick
19-12-2008, 08:14 PM
It could possibly in the following areas:
1) On the ceiling of the car at tha back of the boot
2) On the bottom or about mid-way of the middle seat (there may be something for a hook, otherwise a screw in attachment for the hook to be attached).
3) On the floor of the car but very close to where the boot door is located

Tried looking for some 1999 CRV manuals but most of them are US or other - and the child safety restraints don't even mention the anchoring point for the capsule or baby seat. They only use the seatbelt as the only means to securing the seat/capsule.

Glitta
20-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah we have tried looking everywhere it could be but there dosn't seem to be one...

The only thing is right in the centre of the ceiling there is a hole but it looks a little small to be an anchor point my hubby thinks its the clip hole to hold the ceiling cover up..

So that's why I want to know where it's supposed to be so I can look there..! lol

I tried the net no help I need someone who can physically look at the books it will be in there someone it has to be.

Alpine
20-12-2008, 03:31 PM
OK, I had a look at mine for you. The only pages relevant seem to be these two:

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/9710/pic002mediumel3.jpg

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/8218/pic001mediumvf9.jpg

There only appears to be provision for TWO roof mounted anchor points on the left and ride sides of the back seat. The lap seatbelt in the middle of the back seat only appears to go thru a baby seat without providing additional protection of a roof mounted anchor point.

yorrick
20-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Alpine - that information is fantastic.
It looks like there IS NO anchoring point for the middle. I would suggest that you put the seat on the left or right. They would provide two levels of restraint - the seatbelt and the child anchoring point. The middle would only be the seatbelt - which may not be entirely legal.

Glitta
20-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks heaps Alpine, that is exactly what I needed to know :) I really appreciate you going to the trouble of having a look at the books for me :)

We currently have 3 car seats installed my baby girl is on one of the sides using the anchor point on the drivers side and my two year old is using the passenger one in his anchor mounted booster with 5 point harness & my 3 year old dosn't require an anchor point as he is over the required weight restrictions so he is in the middle in a booster seat using the lap belt... I am not satisfied with this arrangement though and want the baby in the middle with the eldest behind me in a proper seat belt and my other son on the passenger side..

Safest place for the youngest child is a 5 point harness anchored in the middle I have a friend who is a boilermaker so im going to have him make me up a frame that bolts to the two exsisting anchor points and have that bolted with locktight to the ceiling allowing me to make threads for a new point in the middle.. I think that will be my safest option until I can have my hubby arrange the purchase of a new vehicle. :)

Thanks again guys you were both very helpful :)

G....

pizza_boy
22-12-2008, 12:35 AM
hey mate,
Have same gen CRV, just pulled it apart completely for a clean before baby was born.
As I could see, rear seat has 2 independent seats, similar to front ones, e.g. you can take left out and leave right. So it's not recommended to have a child restraint in the middle, as it's not a complete back seat.
But I guess if you weld it together everywhere it should be safe;)
can show pics on request of CRV interior completely apart:D

Glitta
22-12-2008, 04:09 PM
If it were just one child then yeah I would agree with a two fold rear that perhaps the middle is not the best place.. but going on my situation I would have to disagree.. it would be alot more dangerous for my eldest child to be situated in the middle with only a lap belt and a booster as a restraint.. if I was to have an accident my eldest child could quite probably end up going through the windscreen..

With my youngest in the middle in a proper car seat with a 5 point saftey harness then in all probablility she would not move in the event of an accident.. in all fairness the seating arrangments are really very unsuitable for 3 young children and we would definately be alot better off with a larger vehicle.. hopefully in the new year we purchasing one but for tempory measure im going to have all brackets welded and seatbelts replaced..

Good luck with the new baby :) Also check your restraints accidents are nasty things with children involved and you always need to check your kids are safe.. I find that with only the slightest touch a seatbelt can come undone when holding a baby seat in place so my advice is to turn the latch so to unclick it you have to move your hand right around it as if you just chuck a bag or something on it they can undo..

G :)

Alpine
11-01-2009, 08:04 PM
you can read some nice information about the Honda CRV (http://www.10facts.com/article/Autos/Cars/Honda/Honda-CRV.html)

It is amazing how inaccurate and completely wrong some of those points are in that link.

Illegal
26-02-2009, 09:02 AM
It is amazing how inaccurate and completely wrong some of those points are in that link.

yeah, that link is full of misinformation.