PDA

View Full Version : Would leaving a vehicle for 4 weeks without driving cause any problems?

interfooler
19-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Going overseas over the Christmas period. Would leaving the car in the garage without driving for 4 weeks cause any issues? Is there anything I should do before leaving? Disconnecting the battery?

ek4-guy
19-12-2008, 08:23 PM
it will be fine 4 weeks isn't very long

bennjamin
19-12-2008, 08:25 PM
no issues , but it will need its tyres checked , battery checked etc.
Best to purchase a "trickle charger" from a car parts store and let it keep the battery topped up. If your battery dies you will loose radio presets etc and also reset your ECU.

g.ta
19-12-2008, 08:45 PM
battery will probably go flat.

beeza
19-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Just remove the Battery fuse from the fuse box in the engine bay and stick it in ya room.When ya come back in 4 weeks,just put it back in.This stops ya battery from going flat and will slow down (stop) any would be thieves too.

JasonGilholme
19-12-2008, 09:46 PM
i've left mine twice (for six month periods) without the battery plugged in.

Just check the fluids and tyres when you get back and make sure you idle it up to full temp in the driveway before your first drive out to make sure theres no dramas :thumbsup:

55EXX
21-12-2008, 09:10 AM
x2 for take battery out if you dont mind losing ecu data and clock presets. slow down/stop thieves is something we all would like to do. unless your have a pro alarm then trickle charge ftw.

night_wolf
21-12-2008, 07:20 PM
well taking out the battery is a option. i wouldnt be too woried about resetting your audio head unit settings and stuff. as for the ECU depends on if its aftermarket or not. if it is then its not worth taking out the battery. but other than that the car should be fine. remember to heat it up and check fluids etc before running it when you get back.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS y0

kraiye
21-12-2008, 07:30 PM
if it's anything like a civic your iacv may get sticky and cause some idling issues... not a big problem and is an easy fix (just pull it off and clean it)

interfooler
21-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks for replies!

My engine is all stock. So I think I'll just disconnect the battery. One other thing is would my tires have flat spot?

Alpine
21-12-2008, 08:19 PM
One month for tyres should be fine - just pump them up abit more before leaving for a month if you're concerned. I've left a car for six months and only one tyre got flat upon returning.

As for the battery, either remove the negative terminal knowing you'll have to reset the clock and radio settings. Or better yet use a trickle charger to keep it topped up.

mugenrr
22-12-2008, 12:48 PM
disconnet the battery!

VTECMACHINE
22-12-2008, 01:23 PM
But the car on jack stands, and take the rims/tyres off the car.
Take your battery out.
Lock up... and enjoy your holiday knowing that it's harder for someone to steal your car, and everything will be fine with the car when you get back.

Djbinh
27-12-2008, 02:33 PM
battery is going to fo flat need to start it up once in awhile