PDA

View Full Version : turbo charge vs super charge

jay_freaker
21-12-2008, 11:00 AM
wahts the difference between turbo and supercharge. like the pros, and cons of them?
if stock EG SI had an turbo charge vs stock EG SI supercharge down 1/4 mile, which one would win?
thx.

beeza
21-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I would put my money on da turbo cause it's all about the launch.Once ya get ya car up it's bloody hard to chase em' down!

aaronng
21-12-2008, 02:03 PM
either could win. Depends on what about of boost it is running, the tune and whether the engine will survive.

nd55
21-12-2008, 02:50 PM
> wahts the difference between turbo and supercharge. like the pros, and cons of them?

it depends.......

short answer is that supercharging can be very good, but those units are VERY expensive, extremely scarce and probably not available in a bolt kit for your application.

Most superchargers are roots type blowers which are economical to manufacture, but heavy, and lack good efficiency.

Lysholm blowers are where its at, however they are very $$$$ and have very tight tolerances which affect reliability and oiling issues.

A recent development is to have a bypass valve between the inlet and oulet of the blower. Don't know much about these and I don't think they're very common.

Most turbo technology comes from OEM's using them on diesel's which have a limited RPM range and a focus on fuel economy.

They work quite well when matched properly. Turbos will only have a sweet spot of about 2000 rpm's. Most OEM's choose that sweet spot to be low down in the engines rpm range which limits max power available.

Aftermarket turbos are usually choosen to place the sweet spot much higher in the engines' rpm range because the potential for power is MUCH higher.

The need to compromise is the downfall of turbos.

D16's can usually go 8psi without building the internals. 200Hp maybe. 13's 1/4 mile.
B16's would be marginally better.

I don't think there are many supercharged D16's or B16's about.
Supercharged Mini2's are more common cause they came from the factory.
You'd have to check on a mini forum for more info, though.

Nick.

jay_freaker
21-12-2008, 04:38 PM
ohh... i see. thanks dudes

FastFwd
24-12-2008, 10:51 AM
its amazing how much this question gets asked.