PDA

View Full Version : buying an unrego'd car

ben_acct
21-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Done the revs and RTA check and there's no finance or obligations on the cars.
I'm basically a newbie and haven't done this before

I need quick run down of what I need to do
Best ways to buy the car (money wise), do I need to get a receipt or mmm..? registration transfer at the RTA or something?

Since its unrego'd I understand i gotta get a bluey on it, renew rego and CTP/pink at the same time?

Is this all possible to do in a day? anything else i'm missing?

thanks

sammy342
21-12-2008, 04:25 PM
in vic to get a car transfer in your name you need a roadworthy i belive not 100% sure but to get a roadworthy hear it takes a min of 2 days but somtimes the mechanic writes two diffrent dates and gives it bak to you in one day

SHOGUNOVDDRK
21-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Ok, to buy teh car i would advise (if in Sydney):

Get a receipt from owner you are purchasing from.

Basically write up a contract even if you type it up on the computer, make 2 copies (1 each) and get each person to sign it.

So for example: I _____ am buying ______ from _____ for ______ and we agree on $XXX etc etc etc (get the idea?)

You need to get Blue slip first, then pink slip.

Then take both to a insurance company to get your CTP.

I doubt its possible in a day unless you know the right place/'s (Blue Slip = needing to have workshop check it out and that its 100% fine)

Good luck mate :wave:

ben_acct
21-12-2008, 04:39 PM
cheers for replies
yeah, purchase is in Sydney forgot to mention

when would i need to drop by rta to get the name transfer and reg? after blue and pink slips?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
21-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Ummm i would do it immediately

Have the receipt with you when you do it as proof you bought it and if possible the old owner aswell

Does it still have number plates?

ben_acct
21-12-2008, 09:18 PM
yep car still has its plates
the owner can't come in - is there any way to make the letter bit more legit to ease things up at the RTA

is the "application for transfer of registration" the correct one i need to fill out?
the owner's reg has expired for quite a time now. perhaps the owner's last registration paper filled out would help in some way

thanks

SHOGUNOVDDRK
21-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Its ok to go in without the previous owner (it will still be legit) but the RTA workers have a tendancy to shove there nose where it doesn't belong.

I believe that form would be the one.

As much paper work as possible is good.

Good luck

whtteg
23-12-2008, 09:47 AM
to reg a car out of rego for over 3 months (in nsw)

get reciept of purchace,
blue slip (no pink slip needed)
and green slip (ctp)
take number plates (as new ones will be issued) to rta with the above paperwork and fill out application for registration, pay fees etc
bingo new plates and rego completed

rebound
24-12-2008, 03:37 AM
make sure you have the previous rego details as well so you can complete the CTP.

I bought my car unrego'd from interstate with no previous rego details and was a hard time trying to get my CTP because they had no details to have a CTP issued to you on. And without the CTP you can't get your car rego'd. Created a bit of a headache for me.

whtteg
24-12-2008, 06:26 AM
ctp needs engine and chassis number which can be found under the bonnet of the car, i have had to get them before on unreg cars with no previous rego details and never had a problem

rebound
25-12-2008, 02:21 AM
I got through it fine, but with buying a different car with a dirty engine bay.. makes it hard to find them.

You can get a temporary CTP to take to the RTA to register your car which will finalize once your car is then registered

whtteg
27-12-2008, 06:43 AM
I got through it fine, but with buying a different car with a dirty engine bay.. makes it hard to find them.

You can get a temporary CTP to take to the RTA to register your car which will finalize once your car is then registered

Degreaser is your friend at times like those :p you should have engine and chassis number on the receipt of purchace to save you a lot of headaches