PDA

View Full Version : HONDA HDS Software + HIM / GNA600 Adapter?

EuroSteve
22-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone out there has forked out the cash for the Honda HDS software + HIM or GNA600 OBD Adapter, and if so, whether it was worth it? I'm an electronics engineer by day and am keen to learn as much as I can about about the various systems in my Accord Euro. I'm somewhat mechanically capable and can usually service/repair just about anything that doesn't require a hoist, so when I browse through the Euro's workshop manual and see all those steps that require the Honda HDS, i'd really like to have the tools necessary to do those steps.

I actually already have a mate who has a copy of the HDS software, but without the HIM / GNA600 module, it's useless. Looking on eBay, the HIM is going for around US$500 and the GNA600 for around US$1000. I believe the GNA600 supersedes the HIM, but the HIM does everything on the Euro.

*ECU-MAN Edit ..................... no group buys allowed*

Cheers,
Steve

PS. I know the laws are changing in the US, but what's the go with non-Honda service agents/mechanics using the HDS in Australia?

thepope1986
22-12-2008, 04:46 PM
the regular non dealership mechanics are able to purchase devices by other companies such as bosch who make adapters and the like to fit a variety of cars but may not have all the functionality that the factory item has. and to be honest that sounds pretty cheap to buy. i woulda thought an electronics engineer would have the spare $$ to be able to buy something like that :P

EuroSteve
22-12-2008, 05:44 PM
the regular non dealership mechanics are able to purchase devices by other companies such as bosch who make adapters and the like to fit a variety of cars but may not have all the functionality that the factory item has. and to be honest that sounds pretty cheap to buy.

Yeah, the HDS software and adapter are made for Honda by Teradyne. It seems since they started changing the laws (I believe) in the US, the OEM Diagnostics systems are more readily available, and with the way competition works, the price has dropped significantly.

i woulda thought an electronics engineer would have the spare $$ to be able to buy something like that :P

When you work for a small start-up....not so much ;-) (and when comparing against the industry, i'd be still classified as a junior engineer) It's the tradies that have all the spare cash these days! ;-P

-Steve

EuroSteve
30-12-2008, 09:07 PM
So no one here has or has used the HDS software?