PDA

View Full Version : creaking noise in suspension when turning?

William
15-10-2004, 09:51 AM
what are the possible reasions for creaking noises in the rear suspension

lowered springs

stock shocks.

recently installed

saboteur
15-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Trailing arm bushes or dead shockies. I'll place my bets on the bushes.

Coupe
15-10-2004, 10:32 AM
hey man My coupe has the same problem. i got it check out by a friend he said it was my shock.

its was visible to see that the shock was stuffed aswell.. had stuff leaking out of it.

William
15-10-2004, 10:34 AM
whats the trailing arm bushes...

i just installed the springs couple of weeks ago...

William
15-10-2004, 10:37 AM
no one thinks its the springs??? thats the only thing thats new of the suspensions

Psyklops
15-10-2004, 10:51 AM
ball joints? mine squeeked badly before being replaced on the Cordia I had...

BlitZ
15-10-2004, 11:47 AM
cant be the shocks, shocks dont rattle. Its proabably.. the chasis.

civicboy
15-10-2004, 04:49 PM
cant be the shocks, shocks dont rattle. Its proabably.. the chasis.HOW can it be the chassis

**Ghost**
15-10-2004, 05:14 PM
if its a creaking noise when turning, i had the same problem with my old accord... its

1. the bushes
2. the shafts (the horizontal ones)
3. the ball Hub or woteva its called...

depends if its one or 2 sided... if its both sides, then ur looking at around 300 bcusk for both sides reconditioned

BlitZ
18-10-2004, 11:26 AM
HOW can it be the chassis

Chasis creaks.
If your chasis doesnt flex then it would crack.

William is experiencing creaking when he is going over speed humps side ways and stuff too.
Its most proabablyy chasis flex.

And the harder to torture your car the more flex and creaking you would get(in time)..

you will learn to live with it.

Its not always components faults (not ruling it out)

Go in an old car .. same thing..

The only way to avoid auch things is to not lower you car. or drive it hard.
:thumbsup:

When u lower your car the suspension is harder.. it places stress onto the chasis and inturns it would creak.

Unless your willing to seam weld your car for reenforcment there isnt much you car do to avid chaisis flex.
You can try and silconing every panel join nipple onto the car(heard it heaps with the ratlling)

Just my 2 cents worth

linkorr
18-10-2004, 11:58 AM
can we get more descriptions of when it creeks?? under what conditions, where issit coming from.. etc. might be better for everyone. :)

bennjamin
18-10-2004, 12:22 PM
sounds more like - the springs in the car - the actual coils are touching , creating the rattling noise as the cars weight pivots onto one side during a corner as the opposite side "rattles" on itself ...

well , my car IS too low and the rear springs are touching coils AND i get the same noise when turning corners !

Perry
18-10-2004, 02:19 PM
I've got the problem as well but only on the right side only when i turn, i got the shocks changed, but its not the shocks

Muckafutha
18-10-2004, 04:36 PM
me too i have the same problem. I posted a thread asking for help in the technical section. Now i just blast the cd so i dun hear any creaks

William
18-10-2004, 05:35 PM
i have a feeling that blitz is right......is everyones car that creaks (occasionally) and especially when going up steep driveways lowered????

i think thats the reason, the chasis is bending a bit

supposedly nothiing really......its a really prominent creaking....something you'd expect to hear in the likes of titanic when somethings creaks

what you guys reckon?

bigteethygrin
18-10-2004, 06:50 PM
check the sway bar bushes..

BlitZ
19-10-2004, 09:23 AM
It happens mainly to after market urathane bushings when they arent worn in or lubricated.

vti-r steve
19-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Guy's,
My mate works in the service department at a Honda dealership and he looks after my services and he told me that there was a service notice put out about the rear suspension bushes drying out and creaking, every time mine creak I put spray greese on them and problem solved.
The only other sugestion I have is that I lowered my GF's car and the springs now creak and clang driving in and out of driveways n over rough roads, I had it checked at a suspention place and they said the brand of spring is known to be noisy.
Hope this helps, and try some grease you cant loose anything.

SiR
19-10-2004, 11:02 PM
When was this 'service notice' released cos I didn't receive anything!!! :confused:

vti-r steve
20-10-2004, 12:35 AM
SiR,
Owners didn't get it just the service department's, one of those cover up problems so it didn't cost Honda millions for a recall I think. service dep's just do it when you get you car serviced so you don't complain.

SiR
20-10-2004, 12:51 AM
Ahhh, no wonder - dodgy cnuts!! :p

Muckafutha
20-10-2004, 11:14 AM
hehe erm where or wat are the rear suspension bushes???? wat do they look like???
im going to whack a kilo of whale blubber on those buggers

William
20-10-2004, 11:16 AM
hahhahahahah grease gets on your wheels and your drifting everywhere in your fwd

Mr. Focus
20-10-2004, 11:25 AM
my rear bushes were creaking. they were both worn and dry. after repalcing em, no more creaking!

SiR
20-10-2004, 11:08 PM
A little off topic, but some noise related complaint nonetheless...

Does anyone have any noise coming from the left rear brake when braking slowly from say 30km/h down to 15km/h? It's hard to explain the noise it makes - kinda like a tiny rattling sound that comes on momentarily.

vti-r steve
20-10-2004, 11:14 PM
hehe erm where or wat are the rear suspension bushes???? wat do they look like???
im going to whack a kilo of whale blubber on those buggers
If you look under the rear there the round rubber bushes that are connected to the trailing arms that your brakes and wheels are connected too, you can't miss them.

Mr. Focus
I wonder if the replacement one's have been modified to not creek or will they do it again if they dry out ?
Were they genuine parts ?
How long has it been since you put them in ?

vti-r steve
20-10-2004, 11:23 PM
A little off topic, but some noise related complaint nonetheless...

Does anyone have any noise coming from the left rear brake when braking slowly from say 30km/h down to 15km/h? It's hard to explain the noise it makes - kinda like a tiny rattling sound that comes on momentarily.
I've never experienced that, the only thing I can think of at this stage is to check your brake pad's some pad's have a warning noise built in so you fix it before it reaches metal.

Mr. Focus
21-10-2004, 09:22 AM
not too sure steve. i think they were replaced with nolathane ones. i've only had them in there for about 3 months, roughly 1500kms

BlitZ
21-10-2004, 12:25 PM
y would lowering your car effect rear bushing.. well not str8 away anyways

jsut my 2cents worth

zacz
06-01-2005, 01:37 AM
hi guys

actually recently ive noticed a strange creaking noise as well - but mine comes from the front right im certain of it! It only happens when i turn left onto a slight incline....so not too sure what it is!

My car suspension is stock.........only the wheels are 16" but the car isnt lowerd at all! its a strange one!

Anyone have any ideas?

SiR JDM
06-01-2005, 02:23 AM
hi guys

actually recently ive noticed a strange creaking noise as well - but mine comes from the front right im certain of it! It only happens when i turn left onto a slight incline....so not too sure what it is!

My car suspension is stock.........only the wheels are 16" but the car isnt lowerd at all! its a strange one!

Anyone have any ideas?
I have a similar problem... my front left creaks when i back out my driveway.. so im pulling the wheel to the left.. my driveway is a bit of an incline ...

vtc
06-01-2005, 02:42 AM
How do you know if your bushes are worn? i got the same prob too and its annoying me as hell.. just rear right.

96VTi-R
13-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Hey guys i thought ill hijack this old thread instead of making a new one, I'm getting a loud creaking from the rear only when i turn right, had it for a while now and really starting to give me the s**ts, so ill turn a right corner and as i straighten out the creaking starts and continues for a bit, the harder i turn the more the creaking continues for, left turns are silent. The sound is there with or with out the rear strut bar.
Do you think it would just be some bushes? or my coilover? or Some thing else?

marx
02-06-2011, 02:26 PM
ive had this too on a stock 2000 civic and found that a liberal spray of lithium grease on all the joints stops the noise