PDA

View Full Version : New Shocks?

Petronas
24-12-2008, 02:01 AM
When I bought my car a couple of months ago I noticed the front of the car would slam itself down whenever I go over a speed hump. I've also noticed the front sags a bit.

After some usage of the search button on OzHonda I've come to the conclusion that I need new shocks...

I don't know where to start? My car is already lowered on some "Yellow" (That's all I know about the springs at the moment) springs so how would I go about looking for shocks that suit these aftermarket springs?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

AE092
24-12-2008, 04:49 AM
they seem like king springs either lows or superlows. You would want a short stroke shock to be properly run them springs. Some recommended ones would be Koni "yellow" or "red".

Monroe makes some affordable gas shock absorbers and KYB do too, bit more upmarket though.

55EXX
24-12-2008, 06:15 AM
i'd also be looking into bump stops. they stop that harsh slamming down till the shock bottoms out.

Petronas
24-12-2008, 12:06 PM
What the cheaper alternative to Koni's? KYB?

Where would I go looking for shocks? Can anyone recommend me a shop somewhere in Sydney?

AE092
24-12-2008, 05:52 PM
something australian made, so Pedder's/Monroe. Just make sure if you buy sport shocks they have all the right bits: dust boot, bump stops, appropriated nuts/screws ect

55EXX
24-12-2008, 08:02 PM
i've had gt monroe sports gas in the past and they were fine.

Petronas
24-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Would I go to a Pedders outles to buy these?

I've herd bad stories on Pedders dealerships...

AE092
24-12-2008, 11:02 PM
best bet is to get them second hand, new is fairly costly

JohnL
25-12-2008, 07:41 AM
When I bought my car a couple of months ago I noticed the front of the car would slam itself down whenever I go over a speed hump. I've also noticed the front sags a bit.

After some usage of the search button on OzHonda I've come to the conclusion that I need new shocks...

The correct name for "shocks" is 'dampers', and dampers don't affect the ride height. I would expect someone has fitted lowering springs to your car. Often, people who fit lowering springs seem not to fit bump stops, or cut the bump stop in half making it very harsh when the suspension bottoms out (more likely to happen often with lowering springs).

The lower riding the springs are the stiffer they need to be merely to prevent the suspension bottoming out too easily, but some of the more common 'lowering springs' aren't really stiff enough, and are too low...

I don't know where to start? My car is already lowered on some "Yellow" (That's all I know about the springs at the moment) springs so how would I go about looking for shocks that suit these aftermarket springs?

It's not the springs, "yellow" is the common nickname for Koni 'Sports' dampers (because they are painted yellow...). They are high quality adjustable dampers, better than just about any other brand you might easily find.

If they are in good condition my advice would be to keep them, and replace the springs with something not so low riding (it's the springs that determine the ride height, or with some spring / damper units the spring seat is adjustable for height). However, if the dampers have been bottomed out hard and / or often then they may well be damaged.

Konis are rebuildable (i.e. they can be reconditioned, unlike most others which are junk once worn or damaged), so you might want to investigate the cost of having them rebuilt by the Koni distributor.

Petronas
25-12-2008, 09:18 AM
\

It's not the springs, "yellow" is the common nickname for Koni 'Sports' dampers (because they are painted yellow...). They are high quality adjustable dampers, better than just about any other brand you might easily find.

Sorry if my quotes confused you. I meant that the actual springs on my car are yellow and I have no idea what brand they are?

Or did you understand that?

Anyway - Merry Christmas mate!

JohnL
25-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Sorry if my quotes confused you. I meant that the actual springs on my car are yellow and I have no idea what brand they are?

Or did you understand that?

Anyway - Merry Christmas mate!

My careless reading... Yellow springs ring a faint bell, but I can't recall (Selby's...?).