PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start and is miss-firing after i gave it a little going onto the freeway.

FastFwd
26-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Today i was driving onto the freeway and i was giving it a bit going down the on-ramp and my car sounded like it skipped roughly when i hit about 6000rpm in 2nd gear then all of a sudden it sounded like it was firing from two cylinders and i stopped the car and after that i wouldn't start and every attempt to start it, it sounds like the firing time is all out of wack. It was back firing etc, sounded very similar to when you put the ignition leads in the incorrect order and it fires at different times.

I have this video of me trying to start it once i got home from getting it towed, it wasnt back firing like it was when i was trying to restart it after it stalled on the freeway but maybe someone might help

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/fastfwdcivic/th_Bustdfastfwd.jpg (http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/fastfwdcivic/?action=view&current=Bustdfastfwd.flv)

It doesnt sound like any major piston, bearing or crank issue so thats good news But i may think the dizzy crapped itself "well im hoping that" and in worst case i might have done something to the valves, which i dont know what a car sounds like when you have blown ur valves but maybe someone here does.

Sir_vtec
26-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I think it could be your spark plugs. change it and let us know how it goes. use iridium plugs.

FastFwd
27-12-2008, 12:27 AM
I think it could be your spark plugs. change it and let us know how it goes. use iridium plugs.

Im currently using iridium plugs and always have. But do you think that plugs could just break like that all of a sudden?

My car hadnt been driven properly for over 9 months because it was in and out of panel shops. But i had started it up once a month etc plus i had been driving it all day today and the previous day before this happened so the car had been running fine for over 3-4 hours worth of driving.

aaronng
27-12-2008, 12:47 AM
Try with copper plugs first as it is cheaper. If it solves the problem, then buy iridiums.

IEVAQ8
27-12-2008, 01:04 AM
it does seem odd, but ur chgeapest bet is spark plugs..........

try some of the cheap and nasty ngk bkr7e-11 copper plugs, they are like 3.50 each........

with the iridium oines, the electrolight is really small, and with heaps of boost it blows the electrolight out...........

TODA AU
27-12-2008, 05:41 AM
Do a compression test.

nd55
27-12-2008, 11:49 AM
> before this happened so the car had been running fine for over 3-4 hours worth of driving.

Mine's doing this at the moment.
A bit of a cool down and she's going again.

I thought ignitors (the electronic bit in the dizzy) were a known weakness in Honda's? Nobody else has this happen?

Nick.

FastFwd
27-12-2008, 02:14 PM
>
Mine's doing this at the moment.
A bit of a cool down and she's going again.
Nick.

Mine wont even start after it cools down so we might have a different issue but it could have something to do with the dizzy as mine seams like its firing incorrectly.

Ok So i've bought these spark plugs below and i have put them in and tried to start the car and im getting the same deal. Btw these plugs were specific for b16a2 an only cost me $4.20 from super cheap.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/fastfwdcivic/DSC05902.jpg

what else can i try?

FastFwd
27-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Timing belt has was replaced after i rebuilt the motor, 10-15 thousand k's max.

How do i check the dizzy rotor? just pull it apart? and check it out?

FastFwd
27-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Ok well i got an RAC guy to come out and just run threw some diagnosis. He thinks the same thing 'claymore' mentioned. The timing belt had skipped a tooth and now its possible one of the valves are bent. He said do a compression test on each cyl and if ones much lower than that's possibly what has happened.

FastFwd
27-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Ok i did a compression test...I think its fine so now i gotta figure out what else the problem could be.

Compression Test results Corresponding to the below picture:

4. 10.1 Bar - 151psi
3. 11.1 Bar - 165psi
2. 11.4 Bar - 169psi
1. 11.9 Bar - 171psi

I called my uncle who's a engine re-builder and he said that's fairly consistent and seems fine

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/fastfwdcivic/B16lb-1.jpg

FastFwd
27-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Ok so i've found the problem, it was the dizzy rotor but now i need to find one. Can anyone help? new or old?

Here are pictures of it, you can see the teeth broken completely off it....

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/fastfwdcivic/DSC05903.jpg

beeza
27-12-2008, 06:43 PM
I just remembered I had this problem too!!

I bloody forgot about that until you said.It ran TERRIBLE!! I had to get my mate to tow me home!

Well done finding it mate!

FastFwd
27-12-2008, 06:46 PM
I just remembered I had this problem too!!

I bloody forgot about that until you said.It ran TERRIBLE!! I had to get my mate to tow me home!

Well done finding it mate!

Cheers beeza....

Yer got a wa honda cruise/bbq coming up on tues, hopefully i can find one of these by then :(

thepope1986
27-12-2008, 06:50 PM
ring honda to see if they have one. thatll be your easiest bet

FastFwd
27-12-2008, 10:07 PM
yet gonna see if they are open tommorow if not I'm gonna go to a wrecker

IEVAQ8
28-12-2008, 02:15 PM
i got a second hand one, which is perfect condition, i also have the dizzy cap............

beeza
28-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Actually mine was the Ignition control module in the dizzy but it ran exactly like you said,sh*thouse!

FastFwd
28-12-2008, 04:22 PM
i got a second hand one, which is perfect condition, i also have the dizzy cap............

If you could send an overnight delivery ill take it :)

IEVAQ8
28-12-2008, 10:00 PM
If you could send an overnight delivery ill take it :)

i can send it for u tomorrow........

call me..............

pm sent

bennjamin
28-12-2008, 10:09 PM
im putting money on dizzy cap and or rotor.

Similar thing happened to me recently....whole day of wakefield (track) then on teh way home we did a couple of spurts "fast" - then a short time later the engine died , no spark. ended up being a failed rotor and cap.

FastFwd
28-12-2008, 11:12 PM
im putting money on dizzy cap and or rotor.

Similar thing happened to me recently....whole day of wakefield (track) then on teh way home we did a couple of spurts "fast" - then a short time later the engine died , no spark. ended up being a failed rotor and cap.

Yeh beenjamin, was deff the rotor check the picture above. All the threads on the rotor just shattered. When i pulled the dizzy cap off it just fell apart into about 30 pieces. So the car just wasnt sparking at all.

bennjamin
28-12-2008, 11:13 PM
whoop just read the rest..
funnily , hen mine died it was still in physical good condition - no breaks or cracks etc.Just simply didnt work.

FastFwd
29-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Bearings seem pretty good claymore, i checked em before i put the new rotor on. No play so that was good. either way it was only a $50 buck fix, i got a new one from Honda and it works perfectly fine now :) cheers for all the help guys