PDA

View Full Version : Width of wheel on 2008 Accord

sleepy1386
27-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey guys I am new here and I own a brilliant white 2008 Accord vti :wave:

After rolling on the punnie 16" alloys for a few months now

I am planning to go swap for either 19" or 20" rims.

But every wheel store I go to have different size of

maximum width I could get into the wheels arc without modifying it.

So I would just like to ask everybody here what is the maximum width

that I could get to fit in my wheel arc without any rubbing?

Zimp13
28-12-2008, 10:27 AM
safe side is 7.5 or 8....

dyljoy
29-12-2008, 10:14 AM
in my case, put 18x8 offset+38 rim without drop on my car is fine

sleepy1386
29-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks Guys for the comments!~ It helped me a lot~

[ IV 23 VI ]
30-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi mate,

I have the 04 Accord V6 with 20x8.5 +45 offset,

And I still think there is plenty off room left,

I think you would be able to fit at least another inch and a half in the rear,
to make it a 20x9, front and 20x10 rear, as there are a few Accord running this setup in Thailand and Indonesia Im not sure what there offsets would be,

Hope this helps,

[ IV 23 VI ]
30-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Also If you plan on decking it with those size wheels you will have some camber and thats more clearance.

orlichf
15-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey I was planning to do something similar to my 2008 Accord V6, but the Honda dealer told me it would void my warranty. I don't like the wheels that come standard on that model but I don't want to destroy the 5 year warranty

JohnL
15-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Hey I was planning to do something similar to my 2008 Accord V6, but the Honda dealer told me it would void my warranty.

And so it should, the ultra low profile tyres that go on 20" wheels are dangerous at best, and have nothing else going for them, not even appearance (i.e. they look silly...).

Such wheel / tyre combinations are the worst sort of fashion statement in that regardless of any subjective aesthetic consideration, the statement is not benign, i.e. it's actually making the car less capable and less safe than it was previously. "Form follows function", function cannot follow form without function being compromised...

I don't like the wheels that come standard on that model but I don't want to destroy the 5 year warranty

Then can you get different wheels, but in a sensible size, without voiding the warranty?

orlichf
15-01-2009, 12:59 PM
I agree that 20" is waaaay to big. I was looking at 18's or similar with better rims but was more concerned about the warranty aspects. Does anyone know?

JohnL
18-01-2009, 07:23 AM
;2060308']
I think you would be able to fit at least another inch and a half in the rear,
to make it a 20x9, front and 20x10 rear,

It's laughably absurd for any FWD car to be fitted with wheels / tyres that are wider at the rear and narrower at the front. Silly doesn't come close...

JohnL
18-01-2009, 07:30 AM
I agree that 20" is waaaay to big. I was looking at 18's or similar with better rims

IMO, 16" or 17" (with no lower than a 45 profile tyre) is probably ideal for a car driven on real world roads. 18" is starting to get into big for big's sake.

Rudy
18-01-2009, 03:11 PM
IMO, 16" or 17" (with no lower than a 45 profile tyre) is probably ideal for a car driven on real world roads. 18" is starting to get into big for big's sake.

The wheel wells on the 08 are absolutely huge and can fit 20s with zero scraping and perfect comfort. Personally I think 19s are an ideal trade off. And 18 is no way verging on too big. The car comes with 18 as a genuine accessory in other markets (eg new zealand and US). As for warranty, it depends. It depends if the claim is in any way related to the wheels. Of course if you speak to any dealer they will want you to keep it 100% stock

[ IV 23 VI ]
18-01-2009, 09:27 PM
It's laughably absurd for any FWD car to be fitted with wheels / tyres that are wider at the rear and narrower at the front. Silly doesn't come close...

hahaha,

Let me guess, you must be at least the age of my Grandfather to think like that!!

[ IV 23 VI ]
18-01-2009, 09:31 PM

ooohhh Please,

You may as well not even own a Accord if your going to drive it around with 15's or 16's after market wheels,

Thats a disgrace to Accord drivers!

You think like a old man.

SPQR
26-01-2009, 09:59 PM
And so it should, the ultra low profile tyres that go on 20" wheels are dangerous at best, and have nothing else going for them, not even appearance (i.e. they look silly...).

Such wheel / tyre combinations are the worst sort of fashion statement in that regardless of any subjective aesthetic consideration, the statement is not benign, i.e. it's actually making the car less capable and less safe than it was previously. "Form follows function", function cannot follow form without function being compromised...

:thumbsup: Spoken like an architect!

"It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic,
Of all things physical and metaphysical,
Of all things human and all things super-human,
Of all true manifestations of the head,
Of the heart, of the soul,
That the life is recognizable in its expression,
That form ever follows function. This is the law."

Louis Sullivan - Architect and mentor of Frank Lloyd Wright.

Frank Lloyd Wright later said "Form follows function - that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."

JohnL
27-01-2009, 04:02 PM
The wheel wells on the 08 are absolutely huge and can fit 20s with zero scraping and perfect comfort. Personally I think 19s are an ideal trade off. And 18 is no way verging on too big.

My problem with huge wheels isn't that they won't physically fit, it's that they do not perform as well as more sensible rim / tyre profile combinations.

Negatives of 18"+ wheels (and the rubber bands that wrap around them) :

Inferior handling performance (because of excessively short / stiff sidewall)

Inferior handling performance (because of increased unsprung weight)

Increased harshness (because of excessively short / stiff sidewall)

Increased rotational mass (slower acceleration / impaired braking because of heavier rims)

Increased risk of rim damage (because of excessively short / stiff sidewall)

Increased risk of sidewall damage (because of excessively short / stiff sidewall)

Greater sensitivity to steering and suspension geometries (being correct or not)

Possible increased tyre wear (because of excessively short / stiff sidewall interacting with less than perfect geometry)

Looks silly (because it just does)

Positives-

Increased steering response (because of short / stiff sidewalls)

Umm.......

The car comes with 18 as a genuine accessory in other markets (eg new zealand and US).

That's because there is a significant consumer demand for large fashion wheels, anything for market share.

Note that companies like BMW, Ferrari et al offer very large wheels, but also note that they do so in order to be able to fit huge brake rotors inside the wheels. This is the real reason why over the past few years wheel diameters have crept up on ultra high performance projectiles, i.e. so that massive brakes can be fitted in order that the car can actually stop from barely sub-sonic autobahn velocities.

Braking is so important with such potentially fast and heavy cars, that the engineers are willing to live with the less desirable characteristics of the ultra low profile tyres used with the very large wheel diameters. It's a compromise biassed to achieve maximum possible braking performance.

However, take away the huge brakes, and there is no longer any need for the huge rims and ultra low profile tyres. When huge rims are fitted, the only way to avoid the whole set up looking utterly 'naff' is the fill the wheel void with large brake rotor, but even so, 99% of modded road cars don't really need larger rotors than stock, and definitely don't need very large wheels.

JohnL
27-01-2009, 04:13 PM
;2084323']hahaha,

Let me guess, you must be at least the age of my Grandfather to think like that!!

Let me guess, you must be way too young to have a clue!!

From a dynamic perspective (which supercedes all others), narrower front tyres will contribute to understeer, which is especially an issue with front drive cars. Powerful RWD cars often have wider rear tyres because they are RWD, i.e. in order to transmit power to the ground without also losing lateral traction.

To fit wider rear tyres to a FWD car will impair it's handling ability, and to do so merely in order so that it can impersonate the appearance of a high performance RWD car is just....dumb. If you like the look of wider rear tyres, then you should have a RWD car, not a FWD imposter...

JohnL
27-01-2009, 04:16 PM
;2084330']
You think like a old man.

"Go away kid, you bother me". (W.C. Fields, a great hater of annoying children).

JohnL
27-01-2009, 04:26 PM
:thumbsup: Spoken like an architect!

Just someone with a degree of engineering and aesthetic sensitivty....I'd like to think!

Rudy
27-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Just someone with a degree of engineering and aesthetic sensitivty....I'd like to think!

However, if you are under 35 , the aesthetic appearance supersedes every single point you made. Im guessing you are north of that age.

The accord is not a performance car to begin with, so the vast majority of the mods done will be for aesthetic purposes (something which you have little grasp on). If you are after performance, get something else.

As for safety, the only opinion I care about is that of the insurance company. If they deem it as allowable, im happy. I get more stares than almost any Beemer on the road. Not that I care about that, but your theory about larger wheels looking "naffy" (cant find that definition in my engineering handbook), is moot.

SPQR
27-01-2009, 10:04 PM
...I get more stares than almost any Beemer on the road. Not that I care about that, but your theory about larger wheels looking "naffy" (cant find that definition in my engineering handbook), is moot.

Have you seen the ads on TV that show silly people doing "naff" (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/naff) things to "impress" others: You know the ads where the women (and some blokes) watching end up wiggling their little fingers? Well, that's why silly people get the more stares.

I know from my personal experience: Like chucking handbrake turns in front of the General Post Office in the middle of the city; doing 200km/h on an 80 km/h suburban road; being asked by the police to "slow down" after doing 160km/h in a 60km/h inner suburban street. I know now, 20 years later, that there were a lot of women wiggling their little fingers.

But you need to go through that as part of Darwinian natural selection. Those that keep doing it eventually don't end up breeding because they don't get the right women.

Rudy
27-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Have you seen the ads on TV that show silly people doing "naff" (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/naff) things to "impress" others: You know the ads where the women (and some blokes) watching end up wiggling their little fingers? Well, that's why silly people get the more stares.

Are you calling me silly? I have seen one of those ads before. I cant remember it too well because they were so pathetic.

SPQR
27-01-2009, 10:33 PM
^^^ I didn't think the ads would work on the target audience either. That's why my theory is that we all have to go through the phase as part of Darwinian natural selection. Some make it through, some are maimed, some die and some don't get to breed. The good news is that most make it through.

If I had my time again, I'd save more of the money I earned when young because at my age (which isn't very old), I really wish that I now wouldn't have to keep working for another 27 years to pay off my mortgage. I'm tired and I'd rather spend more time with my family than at work.

Other things I wouldn't do or do less include less time in nightclubs or listening to loud music as I am now going deaf and I wouldn't drink alcohol at all because I now have a dodgy liver.

By all means have fun with your car. Don't expect everyone to share your vision.

Rudy
27-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Fair enough, but I dont see what that has to do with upgrading rim sizes?

JohnL
28-01-2009, 09:06 PM
However, if you are under 35 , the aesthetic appearance supersedes every single point you made.

Does it? Are you speaking on behalf of an entire generation? I’m sure I could find plenty of under 35s for whom it doesn’t.

If there is any degree of truth in your statement, it's really rather sad that you (and your generation...?) place more importance on pretension than substance. Is your generation really that superficial? It would however explain quite a lot about contemporary popular culture...

Im guessing you are north of that age.

And I'm guessing that you're suffering from the common youthful misconception that people older than 35 were "born old", "don't know shit" and should "just shut the **** up"?

At the risk of sounding like a complete and utter old fart, we (your elders) have already been where you are now, we've got the T-shirt (with stains), but you (younger persons generically) have no idea what more life experience brings, nor how little you really do know, nor how you will change as you get older (and you will, or will unless you cease developing as a human being, which isn’t that uncommon).

If you're lucky one day you'll be older than I am, and if you gain any maturity may well cringe at some of the opinions you held as a younger man. Don't worry, this is a perfectly normal and usual part of growing up (at least it is with reasonably intelligent people).

I'm 49 by the way, old enough to know that I'm completely wasting my time writing this because I know you just won't get it (I was younger once too, so I have a good idea what your attitude is likely to be).

To cheer you up, while it takes a seeming long lifetime to go from say 10 years of age to say 20, with each succeeding year the pace at which your lifespan flashes past will seemingly accelerate exponentially. You'll be 30 then 40 way before you expect to be, and 50 is even hotter on 40's heels. Don't worry, this is a normal and pretty much universal experience.

Sorry to lecture, but it wasn't me that brought up age as an issue.

The accord is not a performance car to begin with, so the vast majority of the mods done will be for aesthetic purposes (something which you have little grasp on). If you are after performance, get something else.

That's not any sort of argument.

Accords aren't ugly cars, but neither are they drop dead gorgeous, so by your logic perhaps no modifications should be made to 'enhance' their aesthetic appeal (whatever one's idea of 'enhanced' might be). If you want something that looks like sex on wheels, get something else...

Older Accords are practical affordable second hand family cars with a good performance / economy compromise, and a rather advanced suspension that is very responsive to sensible modification. It doesn't take all that much to make Accords handle in a quite enjoyable manner, so purposeful modification is entirely justified, and certainly doesn't need your approval.

If you are so inclined you can spend the $ and make the Accord quite a fast car (both in terms of power and handling etc), certainly fast enough to be an entertaining 'sports sedan', a poor man’s Bimmer.

On the other hand, some mods actually detract significantly from both the capability of the car and from it's safety, and cannot be rationally justified (no matter how hard you try). In such a case it comes down to a fetishised infatuation with a certain look that is merely a caricature of features seen on more serious machinery in a less extreme / more functional form, i.e. a wank.

As for safety, the only opinion I care about is that of the insurance company. If they deem it as allowable, im happy.

At the very least the insurance company ought to be requiring an engineer's certificate for such a serious and substantial modification. That still wouldn't make 18"/19"/20" wheels and associated tyres a good idea.

I get more stares than almost any Beemer on the road.

But, the BMW will actually be a vastly superior handling car if your mods aren't carefully considered. This is a shame because with well chosen mods most Hondas can be made to handle very respectably relative to even the better handling BMWs.

You're obviously not a driving enthusiast, nor I suspect even a car enthusiast as such (correct me if I'm wrong...). Your car seems merely to be a tool that you use to gain attention and approval from your peer group...

Anyway, "Keep it reeaal" (Sacha Baron Cohen, aka Ali G).

JohnL
28-01-2009, 09:21 PM
But you need to go through that as part of Darwinian natural selection. Those that keep doing it eventually don't end up breeding because they don't get the right women.

Not to mention that such persons often remove themselves from the gene pool by means of messy premature death...

I have to say, I am one of the lucky ones who managed to grow up and stop treating the public road like my own private race track (those two things are related in a chicken and egg kind of way).

In my 20s I used to fang around at ridiculous speeds in a 'clubman' type sports car (poor man's Lotus 7), that weighed 500kg and put 120hp to the rear wheels. Lucky to be alive really, it's frightening looking back upon the idiocies of youth...

JohnL
28-01-2009, 09:32 PM
^^^ I didn't think the ads would work on the target audience either.

It doesn't because the target audience is very smart, they know their penis is larger than a little finger...

That's why my theory is that we all have to go through the phase as part of Darwinian natural selection. Some make it through, some are maimed, some die and some don't get to breed. The good news is that most make it through.

Ah, you didn't miss the obvious death bit...

Other things I wouldn't do or do less include less time in nightclubs or listening to loud music as I am now going deaf and I wouldn't drink alcohol at all because I now have a dodgy liver.

I wish I'd looked after my teeth better, but have to say that I survived the insanely loud music, and copious alcohol / drugs more or less OK, have given up the fags, exercise regularly and am now much fitter, stronger, and healthier than when I was in my early 20s (if only I could see more clearly...).

JohnL
28-01-2009, 09:36 PM

You say "upgrading", I say "downgrading", and these philosophical disagreements are always more complex and wide ranging than they appear at first sight.

SPQR
28-01-2009, 11:46 PM

I don't mind +1 fitments but +3 is totally ridiculous. The tyres become practically useless rubber bands that are more likely to downgrade road holding.

And I really think that wheels that scream "look at me, look at me" detract from the often carefully considered aesthetics of a car that some bunch of designers spent years trying to develop. I think it disrespectful: Especially some of that crass American influenced wheel design.

I have some rules on wheels that I stick to: Never less than five spokes. Only Audi does nice six spoke wheels so don't even try that on. Seven is divine. After that, no more than 14 spokes. No high maintenance finishes like highly polished or chrome because no one really maintains them properly.

JohnL
29-01-2009, 12:48 AM
I don't mind +1 fitments but +3 is totally ridiculous. The tyres become practically useless rubber bands that are more likely to downgrade road holding.

And I really think that wheels that scream "look at me, look at me" detract from the often carefully considered aesthetics of a car that some bunch of designers spent years trying to develop. I think it disrespectful: Especially some of that crass American influenced wheel design.

I cannot possibly be in stronger agreement with every statement here.

From hints SPQR seems to be an architect by training (yes?), so that means he is a trained designer in a field where aesthetic considerations are of great importance and has some credible qualification to make aesthetic judgements and to pass comment on matters of design.

I have a degree in Visual Arts, so would like to think I also have some modest qualification to pass educated aesthetic comment. I've also worked with cars for many years including some time working in a motor museum restoring / modifying numerous older racing and road cars such as Bugatti, Ferrari, Lotus, Bentley etc, and raced karts quite successfuklly for a number of years. I also agree with the comments about "rubber band" tyres being "more likely to downgrade road holding", and that this is can be a real and significant issue petaining to safety.

No high maintenance finishes like highly polished or chrome because no one really maintains them properly.

And really, they look such cheap / tacky bling (even if they cast a bomb).

Rudy
29-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Spend the money to make Accord a fast car? Maybe for the 91, but not for the 08, the car that this thread is specifically about. Even if it could be done, id prefer not to void warranty and insurance

Insurance company ought to? Even if that's debatable, as long as my car is Vicroads compliant, them im OK with it and don't need and engineers cert by law. But i guess they don't know whats what either.

And this final comment is quite ironic. "Your car seems merely to be a tool that you use to gain attention and approval from your peer group... "

I never mentioned looks until it was a rebuttal to your argument. You are the one who first mentioned it will look 'silly' unless fitted on a bimmer with bigger brakes. Then I responded by saying that's not my real world experience as I still get looks. I customise my car to my personal preference. I could care less what other people think as long as I am content. Never once did I mention I seek the approval of others.

If you are so inclined you can spend the $ and make the Accord quite a fast car (both in terms of power and handling etc), certainly fast enough to be an entertaining 'sports sedan', a poor man’s Bimmer.

At the very least the insurance company ought to be requiring an engineer's certificate for such a serious and substantial modification. That still wouldn't make 18"/19"/20" wheels and associated tyres a good idea.

Anyway, "Keep it reeaal" (Sacha Baron Cohen, aka Ali G).

Rudy
29-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Not to mention that such persons often remove themselves from the gene pool by means of messy premature death...

I have to say, I am one of the lucky ones who managed to grow up and stop treating the public road like my own private race track (those two things are related in a chicken and egg kind of way).

In my 20s I used to fang around at ridiculous speeds in a 'clubman' type sports car (poor man's Lotus 7), that weighed 500kg and put 120hp to the rear wheels. Lucky to be alive really, it's frightening looking back upon the idiocies of youth...

Now the truth comes out. Both you and SPQR were blatantly breaking the law and risking safety. Any aesthetic modifications you may have had in no way had anything to do with that. Comparing someone legally increasing 2 inches in rim size to speeding 100km/h over the limit in terms of escaping 'Darwinism' is laughable. But because I am younger you associate me with breaking the law, something you are familiar with. Seems you are just as guilty as playing the age card. You are putting me in that 'uneducated, dangerous, youth' bracket when I said nothing of the sort. Your verbiage would be better suited to the HSV forums.

I didnt meant to offend with the '35' and should have worded it differently. I apologise for that. I was trying to give you an answer as to why people install larger rims as you were utterly confused by the concept. It comes down to personal taste and fashion. No one in this thread claimed it would improve overall engineering measures. Fashion however, does not automatically make it an unsafe car. Racing on public roads , like you did, will.

Rudy
29-01-2009, 02:21 PM
You say "upgrading", I say "downgrading", and these philosophical disagreements are always more complex and wide ranging than they appear at first sight.

I meant upgrading in the pure literal sense..to 'ascend'. Thats why i said upgrade in size.

JohnL
29-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Fashion however, does not automatically make it an unsafe car.

I don't really think that it will make your car dangerously unsafe, but IMO it will at least in some significant degree make it somewhat less capable. It's just that it does offend my sensibilities to make a change that doesn't improve the car, i.e is merely for looks and not purposeful, it's matter of principle.

Sorry to give you a hard time, I hope you enjoy your car and what it brings you.

Racing on public roads , like you did, will.

I almost never raced on the public roads, maybe once when I outran a C Type Jaguar that was following me through Galston Gorge Rd (and yes it was a real C Type that had been doing demostration laps at Amaroo Park with Stirling Moss at the wheel).

I just drove way too fast (nobody could catch my car anyway). What can I say, I grew up and stopped doing it, lived to tell the tale. This doesn't mean that I am now a slow driver, just not insanely fast.

[ IV 23 VI ]
29-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Let me guess, you must be way too young to have a clue!!

From a dynamic perspective (which supercedes all others), narrower front tyres will contribute to understeer, which is especially an issue with front drive cars. Powerful RWD cars often have wider rear tyres because they are RWD, i.e. in order to transmit power to the ground without also losing lateral traction.

To fit wider rear tyres to a FWD car will impair it's handling ability, and to do so merely in order so that it can impersonate the appearance of a high performance RWD car is just....dumb. If you like the look of wider rear tyres, then you should have a RWD car, not a FWD imposter...

Sorry I forgot, silly me! you know everything about cars,

[ IV 23 VI ]
29-01-2009, 06:35 PM
"Go away kid, you bother me". (W.C. Fields, a great hater of annoying children).

Your a tool.

[ IV 23 VI ]
29-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Hey guys I am new here and I own a brilliant white 2008 Accord vti :wave:

After rolling on the punnie 16" alloys for a few months now

I am planning to go swap for either 19" or 20" rims.

But every wheel store I go to have different size of

maximum width I could get into the wheels arc without modifying it.

So I would just like to ask everybody here what is the maximum width

that I could get to fit in my wheel arc without any rubbing?

JohnL,

The member who started this topic is after info on how wide he can go on 19's or 20's, so keep your info to yourself about your smaller then standard wheel sizes until somebody starts a topic about it, rather then telling people to go away, try and add contribute something constructive to this thread, rather then negative points.

JohnL
29-01-2009, 08:02 PM
;2100439']Your a tool.

It was you who decided to use age in an apparent attempt to invalidate or ridicule an opinion, don't be surprised if you get a less than friendly reaction.

JohnL
29-01-2009, 08:12 PM
;2100449'] The member who started this topic is after info on how wide he can go on 19's or 20's, so keep your info to yourself about your smaller then standard wheel sizes until somebody starts a topic about it,

15" or 16" OE wheels makes no difference, the principles pertaining to the fitment of very much larger OD wheels still apply.

rather then telling people to go away, try and add contribute something constructive to this thread, rather then negative points.

To point out the negatives of an idea is entirely valid and constructive, even if it may not be what some people want to hear.

SPQR
29-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Now the truth comes out. Both you and SPQR were blatantly breaking the law and risking safety.

No. Not anymore. And I'm just trying to counsel others not to; now that I have more wisdom. I am also expressing my opinion on the aesthetics or otherwise of disproportionate wheel sizes, which is slightly on topic.