Tu88y
27-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Who here has upgraded there brake lines to braided lines

pros and cons of this mod

LiL FiLo
28-12-2008, 07:29 PM
yes i have,

pros:
more accurate feel when braking because lines dont enlarge under braking pressue

cons:
illegal if you dont get them done at a proper place

Type R Positive
29-12-2008, 12:21 PM
I did on my dirt bike.

Pro's:
Takes away the spongy feeling. Your brakes might not feel spongy now, but wait till you go braided! Gives you better feeling.

Con's:
None.

Tu88y
30-12-2008, 08:54 AM
cheers for the info guys I will be buying my kit soon then

Type R Positive
31-12-2008, 07:14 PM
If your bike is brand new, you might not notice that much of a difference.

Scoots
04-01-2009, 02:05 PM
OMG, i only registered to tell you all to check your facts before giving dodgy answers.

Firstly, braided lines will not give you any better braking performance, they will not feel crisper, smoother, anything better than a freshly bled rubber line setup. Better pads increase braking performance. Different master cylinders affect feel and response.

The difference is **drumroll**
Braided lines will not expand under repeated heavy braking under track-like conditions, meaning you will not experience brake fade. Brake fade is usually worse with worn pads, it is when the brakes heat up the brake fluid so much it expands the rubber brake lines and results in 'spongy' feel, it can get so bad that you hit a corner with only 50% braking power, which is very scary at 210kph at broadford race track (ask me how i know:eek:).

If you own any sort of bike you should check out CBR250.com, massive biker community with much more mechanically minded people like myself, ready to help on any bike model.

Scoots out:thumbsup:

Scoots
04-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Also you are better off buying them from US sites, even with the dodgy conversion rate, check motomummy.com, i got my galfer lines and pads there for AU$200 which is half that quoted at peter stevens.

My best advice is to learn to bleed your brakes yourself, check the cbr250.com maintenance forum for 3 different threads on how to do it.

bennjamin
04-01-2009, 03:07 PM
good to see some guys heading over here to spread some good info !

BTW , like cars would it cheaper to replace old lines with brand new OEM items or braided items ? Personally id rather get new OEM

Scoots
05-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Well that depends on how much the stock lines cost, you could probably pick some up at a wreckers 2nd hand or off someone who has recently changed their lines.

I'd always go braided due to me needing them for track days...

Type R Positive
06-01-2009, 11:06 AM
OMG, i only registered to tell you all to check your facts before giving dodgy answers.

Firstly, braided lines will not give you any better braking performance, they will not feel crisper, smoother, anything better than a freshly bled rubber line setup. Better pads increase braking performance. Different master cylinders affect feel and response.
I post on my personal experience.....
On my bike, it was crisper, smoother, better response.

Braided lines are often more direct (shorter in length) and have smaller internal diameter than OEM.

Please explain to me how this is not an improvement.

Type R Positive
06-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Also you are better off buying them from US sites, even with the dodgy conversion rate, check motomummy.com, i got my galfer lines and pads there for AU$200 which is half that quoted at peter stevens.Yeah, accessories prices in Australia suck the fat one.
I get all my gear from the states too, but I got dirtbikes.... btosports.com rocks!
Goodridge do good price in Australia, or you can get em custom made.

.::F[L]Y::.
06-01-2009, 09:24 PM
i was under the impression braided lines would only have some benefit if any under track conditions. Similar to its applications on a car, for street driving/riding i doubt you can feel or tell the difference between a car/bike equipped with braided lines.

Scoots
07-01-2009, 11:29 AM
I post on my personal experience.....
On my bike, it was crisper, smoother, better response.

Braided lines are often more direct (shorter in length) and have smaller internal diameter than OEM.

Please explain to me how this is not an improvement.

Actually braided lines are often quite longer, most standard sports bike set ups contain a 1 line-1 line (one line from lever to right caliper, 1 short line from caliper to other caliper), whereas most braided setups have a 1 line from the lever to each caliper.

And anytime you change your fluid+pads will result in better brake feel, it may not have been your rubber lines doing you wrong. I said they wont make braking on the road any better, only track-like conditions.

Type R Positive
07-01-2009, 11:54 PM
So you are saying that you wouldn't get better feel by having constant pressure on both calipers?

Not every bike has 2 front calipers either.

My bikes braided cable was significantly shorter, and provided significant difference. I always use fresh fluids, this was on the same pads too.

Scoots
08-01-2009, 02:25 PM
I didn't say that.

bennjamin
08-01-2009, 06:53 PM
guys lets all agree that ADR approved and well designed braided lines are all benefits over OEM parts.
That is , they are either the same for a cheaper price , or and they are less likely to balloon etc. They are better for people who would likely really heat up brakes either twisties or track work :)