PDA

View Full Version : how to properly flush coolant from b series?

vinnY
03-01-2009, 11:33 PM
i usually
- switch the car to heater
- drain all the fluid possibile
- take out thermostat
- run hose down top radiator hose until water coming out of the thermostat housing is clear

are there any extra steps i can take to make sure the system is properly flushed out?
also how much litres should it take to refill a completely empty system?

just checked out the manual and it appears all i need to do is drain the system and unbolt the drain bolt from the block and it should flush it all out
should i stick with my method or go with the manual for a full flush?

bennjamin
04-01-2009, 12:08 AM
you could do the above , and also remove the frontal drain on the front of the block , behind the header primaries. then , stick a hose in say the upper coolant hole on the block and run water thru it until nothing but clear water emits from the block.
Just drain from radiator and refill like normal. Its fine

shadou
04-01-2009, 12:10 AM
sounds good, then when you refill make sure you bleed it properly by opening the bleed nipple or opening the cap and letting the air escape.
You're looking at around 5 liters according to the technical guide for a b18c7 and 4.5 for b16 but buy another 2 liters in case + it won't hurt because you'll need it further on down the track

migoreng
04-01-2009, 09:28 AM
but buy another 2 liters in case + it won't hurt because you'll need it further on down the track

why is that?

destrukshn
04-01-2009, 09:30 AM
do when it's hot, when the thermostat is open, and the heater lever is all the way to hot.
and that will get 90% of the coolant out.

vinnY
04-01-2009, 09:33 AM
wouldn't doing it hot, draining it and pouring cool coolant down there bust something?

or do you mean drain it while it's hot then let it cool for 1-2 hours then refill?

xntrik
04-01-2009, 09:35 AM
do when it's hot, when the thermostat is open, and the heater lever is all the way to hot.
And that will get 90% of the coolant out.

insane. Lol

destrukshn
04-01-2009, 10:49 AM
nah, works good.
lol.
just use gloves and careful not to get anything on you.
when you open the tap at the bottom of the rad, it would only drip out.. so what you do, is slowly release the pressure from the system by slowly opening the rad cap, and the coolant will piss out.
lol.

mclovin
04-01-2009, 11:58 AM
and that will get 90% of the coolant out.

this not only sounds dangerous to the engine but to the unskilled person that is about to reqd this and attempt to drain their cooling system while its really hot and under a lot of pressure. i wouldn't recommend this method to anyone.

just carry out the coolant fluch while it is cold as pouring cold water to into the engine may caus serious damage eg. crqcked or warped cylinder head.

shadou
04-01-2009, 12:49 PM
why is that?

not sure if the technical guide is referring to a normal coolant flush which is just opening the drain bolt or from dry, doesn't state.

Limbo
04-01-2009, 11:00 PM
b16s in ek4s don't have them i've been looking before. Only b18s have a bleed nipple

you could do the above , and also remove the frontal drain on the front of the block , behind the header primaries. then , stick a hose in say the upper coolant hole on the block and run water thru it until nothing but clear water emits from the block.
Just drain from radiator and refill like normal. Its fine

vinnY
04-01-2009, 11:34 PM
isn't this (http://jacksoncreation.phamprint.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/DSC02317.jpg) the bleed bolt ona b16? same as b18 afaik

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/5592/screenshot46yt8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

spotted you today limbo :p

bennjamin
04-01-2009, 11:53 PM
b16s in ek4s don't have them i've been looking before. Only b18s have a bleed nipple

Not true. The b18c7 does not have a bleed nipple.
the DC2 vtir , does (b18c2)

Besides , you misread what just said.Refer to what vinny said directly above.

Limbo
05-01-2009, 09:12 PM
yeah ok my bad, i thought the b18c7 also had it.
Ok I didn't know about the bolt to bleed.

Vinny - u stalking me man???? LOL

destrukshn
05-01-2009, 09:28 PM
this not only sounds dangerous to the engine but to the unskilled person that is about to reqd this and attempt to drain their cooling system while its really hot and under a lot of pressure. i wouldn't recommend this method to anyone.

just carry out the coolant fluch while it is cold as pouring cold water to into the engine may caus serious damage eg. crqcked or warped cylinder head.
now, you don't pour it back in straight away.
what happens when you bust a hose on the highway or radiator pops?
coolant pisses out everywhere anyways, while it's hot.
also, how would you get a hose and put it though the top hose, when the thermostat is closed.
another point, if you want to do it cold, take off one of the heater hoses and the bottom drain tap.
plus you don't want water sitting in your motor after you have finished flushing it out with water. then you'll just mix coolant with water.

destrukshn
05-01-2009, 09:31 PM
isn't this (http://jacksoncreation.phamprint.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/DSC02317.jpg) the bleed bolt ona b16? same as b18 afaik

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/5592/screenshot46yt8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

spotted you today limbo :p
that is not the bleed bolt, that is the drain plug to drain the coolant out of the motor.
to bleed you system, jack your car up until your rad cap is at the highest point of the cooling system, put the lever to hot on the heater, take off the radiator cap, start the car, and let it run until the bubbles stop coming out of the top of the radiator mouth, or when the fan kicks in about twice.

vinnY
05-01-2009, 09:50 PM
oops got my terminology wrong, i meant drain bolt
i believe only d series had the bleed nipple where the top rad hose connects to the engine block

is there a way to completely drain the motor of cooland without removing it or is just plain bleeding and getting 90% out of it the best you can do without spending heaps of time?

destrukshn
05-01-2009, 09:52 PM
bleeding it is really for the air to come out.
if you do it the way i told you, you will get alot of it out.
or just do it from that bolt.
lol.

mclovin
06-01-2009, 05:35 PM
now, you don't pour it back in straight away.
what happens when you bust a hose on the highway or radiator pops?
coolant pisses out everywhere anyways, while it's hot.
also, how would you get a hose and put it though the top hose, when the thermostat is closed.
another point, if you want to do it cold, take off one of the heater hoses and the bottom drain tap.
plus you don't want water sitting in your motor after you have finished flushing it out with water. then you'll just mix coolant with water.

i wasn't saying that any of the above was entirely wrong but my point was that for an inexperienced person to just stumble upon this thread and read that you can just change coolant while hot wothout taking pre cautions it could be dangerous.

now a busted rad hose or rad u cant help. so ofcourse u have to work on it hot if u can or just get the thing towed if its on the side of the road.

and some coolant u mix with water anyways, thats why they label it as a concentrate as it has to be mixed with water - mixes differ from car to car also.

destrukshn
06-01-2009, 05:47 PM
i wasn't saying that any of the above was entirely wrong but my point was that for an inexperienced person to just stumble upon this thread and read that you can just change coolant while hot wothout taking pre cautions it could be dangerous.

now a busted rad hose or rad u cant help. so ofcourse u have to work on it hot if u can or just get the thing towed if its on the side of the road.

and some coolant u mix with water anyways, thats why they label it as a concentrate as it has to be mixed with water - mixes differ from car to car also.
honda coolant you do not mix it, it's already premixed.

philip_pc
07-03-2010, 06:04 PM
when people say put the fan on hot full blast to encourage uptake of coolant into the motor and aide bleeding, do they mean just fan hot or aircon hot??

vinnY
07-03-2010, 06:48 PM
just turn the temperature to max hot, not the fan
if you turn on the fan to max it'll take forever for the water to reach hot since it's being cooled

90LAN
07-03-2010, 07:00 PM
you can also take to radiator shop or similiar and get a machine that cleans and flushes your system
cant remember how much it costs

philip_pc
08-03-2010, 10:00 AM
just turn the temperature to max hot, not the fan
if you turn on the fan to max it'll take forever for the water to reach hot since it's being cooled

so you just turn the temperature knob to hot but leave the fan off?

bennjamin
08-03-2010, 10:12 AM
so you just turn the temperature knob to hot but leave the fan off?

yes , just slide it across. This opens up the heater core and lets all the coolant circulate removing all possible air pockets etc.