PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump busted?

dc21
04-01-2009, 07:43 PM
hi guys,

need some help here to confirm the root of the problem

i'm driving a 1995 honda integra vti-r

last night as i was driving, i could hear a buzzing noise coming from the right rear side of the car. somewhat "brrrrrrr" noise. i coudln't care less about it as the car was driving fine. idling as it should, no funny noises apart from that buzzing noise.

then today, the car drove fine as usual. car started normally, then just as i pulled out the garage, the buzzing noise came back. stopped the car, switched the engine off, the buzzing noise was gone. restarted the car, buzzing noise was gone but then it started choking abit then the engine died.

tried restarting it again. but to no sign of life. tried putting pressure on the accelerator and restarting it again but unsuccessful

things i checked:
1. battery was working fine. all electronics work
2. the car still has fuel in it

question:
1. could it be that the fuel pump is busted?
2. how much would it cost to replace one?
3. is this problem common among the honda integra(s) as it ages?

bennjamin
04-01-2009, 08:07 PM
when you turn the key to ON (whent e ECU light blinks on) can you hear the fuel pump prime ? ( a "urrrrrrrnnnnnnn CLICK" noise from te back of the car) if so , fuel pump is fine.
When you try to start ,what happens? engine turns over no start ? or wont turn over or what ?

a common issue for most EFi cars as they age , is the main relay fails or gets weakened with age and heat and can fail the fuel pump or ignition

riruiz_88
04-01-2009, 08:09 PM
try this first...
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67113

dc21
04-01-2009, 08:14 PM
the urrrnnnn sound comes on previously after that car is started. but the sounds comes from the front of the car. don't know if its the same sound we are talking about.

when i try to start the car, the engine doesn't turn over.

i just tried to start the car again still no life in it. the urnnn sound is gone too.

if i remember clearly, just before the engine died the 1st time round, the urnnn sound came on

bennjamin
04-01-2009, 08:41 PM
if the engine doesn't turn over the starter motor is the fault.
try to jumpstart the car - if it starts its a bad starter motor , loose power to the starter or bad battery
if it wont start you got ignition issues or worse

dc21
04-01-2009, 09:07 PM
sorry i think i misunderstood what engine turn over meant.

the engine does turn over but doesn't start. similar to a car without fuel.

bennjamin
04-01-2009, 09:13 PM
...or spark.

Check the link posted in post 3 first
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2064732&postcount=3

IZY-10
04-01-2009, 10:24 PM
that buzzing sound is the fuel pump. This sound may also occur when you have just turned the car off with the key out of the ignition. It may still work fine but if you start having troubles with starting it then you know what needs to be replaced. Just read the other posts Sounds like your starter motor or even battery needs replacing. If you have a multimeter check the voltage level coming out of the battery. Has it been hard to turn over lately?

dc21
04-01-2009, 11:05 PM
nope besides this time, the car starts normally and the battery seems fine.

bennjamin
04-01-2009, 11:57 PM
sounds like your aftermarket alarm maybe stuffing up.
You DO have an aftermarket alarm ? If so , it controls the immob. to the fuel pump or ignition or spark. Might be a temp fault like loose wiring in the key fob or immob. itself under your dash somewhere.
disregard this if you dont have an immoblizer lol

might also be a failing ignition switch or barrel etc

dc21
05-01-2009, 12:16 AM
RACV just came by to check it out. its most probably the fuel pump :(

how much would it cost to replace an OEM unit?

IZY-10
05-01-2009, 12:19 AM
upwards of $250 i think but not 100% sure

IEVAQ8
05-01-2009, 12:36 AM
pm yonas from jdm yard and get a replacement walbro pump foir $165 or so and fit ur self, or pay a mechanic to fit like $100

dc21
06-01-2009, 01:09 AM
found the problem. it was the fuel pump. thanks for the help!