PDA

View Full Version : Hardtop for s2k.. How Much?

JDMWhore
05-01-2009, 11:43 AM
hey guys just wondering how much a hard top for an s2k would set me back around.. also i've seen a few CF ones around too so would anyone know how much it would cost with fitting?

cheers

Zdster
05-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Depends on which hard top you are referring too. I am no s2k expert, but I know of at least three:
OEM
Mugen
Spoon

I believe the Mugen is in the order of $8k, but am sure someone else can clarify this.

ITEAZR
05-01-2009, 01:56 PM
i have seen oem on ebay in aus for 3.5k

Djbinh
05-01-2009, 02:16 PM
i have seen oem on ebay in aus for 3.5k

and the kit your looking around 1.5k

vyets
05-01-2009, 04:48 PM
There's also the Replica Hardtops like, Ebay, Shine Autos, Seibon. Basically copy of mugen/spoon.
You also got the Amuse hardtop.

With the Exchangerate now yes Carbon Fiber mugen will be around the 8k mark.

JDMWhore
05-01-2009, 06:14 PM
how much do you rekon you could sell the soft top for after the change? you think anyone would want buy it?

civicem1
05-01-2009, 06:34 PM
I paid a bit over 4k for mine landed from the states. Mind you, that was when the AUD has balls.

ludecrs
05-01-2009, 08:53 PM
I just purchased a Mugen hardtop, but I wont disclose how much I paid for it.

The cheap option is to go a Mugen replica for about $1500US + post + window + fitting kit.... it all adds up however.

Thats $3K for a replica part, that could be better spent elsewhere IMO...

lonelybutterfly
06-01-2009, 06:26 AM

i agree!!

aramiK
06-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Not to get off topic, but why exactly do you want a roof lol?

civicem1
06-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Not to get off topic, but why exactly do you want a roof lol?

1. Practicality - You can't drive a car with its' roof off 24/7.
2. Visual - Hardtop looks better than the canvas softops.
3. Diversity - Not many s2k owners have a hardtop.
4. Aerodynamics - Increased structural integrity.

JDMWhore
06-01-2009, 09:17 PM

exactly!

.::F[L]Y::.
06-01-2009, 09:20 PM
hardtop would be better suited to an S that sees the track fairly often. Apart from that i would imagine would be a pain in the ass removing it and putting it back on constantly. Also would be nice to have during the winter months.

vyets
06-01-2009, 10:53 PM

Fair points but then again you bought a convertible for a reason.
Only reason I want a hardtop is because my softtop flaps too much on the track it gets real annoying. Plus I don't really drive with the top down that often, if its too sunny I dont want to get burnt or if its too hot, and if its too cold well yea. Only time I'm topdown is summer nights, and that dosen't come often in melbourne.
Looks is only a bonus but I think that AP2 soft top looks best. It's newer/blacker/glass rear makes the car look a whole lot classier.
I wouldn't get a hardtop just for show thats forsure I could use that money on other things that "look" more appealing.

One thing that is a real bonus with the hardtop is the OEM and Amuse hardtop have a massive rear window great for vision! Can't say much about the Mugen and spoon. However Mugen looks best and really does flow with the car lines. Also don't need to worry about someone slashing your soft top hehe.

I Agree with FLY on this one.

aramiK
07-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Cool, just interested.

I love the convertible aspect of it all thats why. But for track ofcourse you'd want a hard top.
But as for practicality, the roofs not off 24/7 it's off when you push the button..

NVD52K
07-01-2009, 08:53 AM
I just purchased a Mugen hardtop, but I wont disclose how much I paid for it.

The cheap option is to go a Mugen replica for about $1500US + post + window + fitting kit.... it all adds up however.

did you buy an original mugen or a replica ? if its original your a BALLER hahha

NVD52K
07-01-2009, 08:55 AM
how much do you rekon you could sell the soft top for after the change? you think anyone would want buy it?

you dont really need to change the soft top it can be kept in there but folded back so you can un clip the roof and be a convertible again. although people in the states do it for weight reduction cause the frame and roof again do weigh abit

vyets
07-01-2009, 09:51 AM
did you buy an original mugen or a replica ? if its original your a BALLER hahha

It's the fiberglass one :P
I seen it forsale

Ferrari
07-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Still a genuine Mugen. I like the Mugen top but hate the rear window, looks like an afterthought. The Amuse on the other is sooooo hot. I like the idea of having a hardtop, but only because its rare, I probably wouldnt even use it. I just like that I have upgraded to the canvas roof.

If I had a race only S2000 it would be hardtoped and caged, and it would look mad, driving top off, with a stripped car and a roll cage.

vyets
07-01-2009, 11:44 AM
[quote=ferrari;2068263

if i had a race only s2000 it would be hardtoped and caged, and it would look mad, driving top off, with a stripped car and a roll cage.[/quote]

;) ;)

ChromZ
07-01-2009, 11:55 AM
it seems to a myth that the large rear window of the hardtop is a blessing.
from my experience, i didnt notice any difference with the hardtop (OEM) and the softtop.

the blindspot is still the same and the view out back is still restricted due to the rollbars.

not sure if those who have experienced both agree, but this is how i felt.

nb. i prefer to have the hardtop on as i feel safer and know when i park the car, no lowlife is going to slash my softtop.

Ferrari
07-01-2009, 02:07 PM
yeah just key the car lol.

ChromZ
07-01-2009, 02:20 PM
dont jinx it :(

ludecrs
07-01-2009, 05:55 PM
It's the fiberglass one :P
I seen it forsale

lol damn you!

Its an original Mugen hardtop but as Vyets has said, its Fibreglass not the carbon fibre version ; & I'm not baller. LOL.

If I had a race only S2000 it would be hardtoped and caged, and it would look mad, driving top off, with a stripped car and a roll cage.

until Mr Popo raped you.

dc5ive
16-01-2009, 09:05 PM
is it hard to put a hard top on ?
can u still keep the soft top under ? or do u have to take the soft top off ?

civicem1
16-01-2009, 11:53 PM
is it hard to put a hard top on ?
can u still keep the soft top under ? or do u have to take the soft top off ?

Installing the hardtop is pretty straight forward. It takes approximately 20 - 30 minutes using basic tools namely rachets/sockets. Yes, you retain the soft top under the hardtop, although it remains retracted back in the convertible position.

dc5ive
27-01-2009, 01:12 AM
with the Fiberglass mugen hardtops
you guys know where i can get my hands on one??
ive tried searching nothing came up

vyets
27-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Mugen japan :)
or yahoo auctions if your lucky

dc5ive
27-01-2009, 06:39 AM
ive found a few on yahoo auctions ... just have to wait and see what happend
im picking up my s2000 this week cant wait =]

dc5ive
27-01-2009, 08:41 PM
sorry noob question....
are ap1 hardtops the same as ap2 hardtops?
fitment wise?

ludecrs
27-01-2009, 10:01 PM
The Yen -> AUD $ conversion rate is killer atm.

And yes, hardtops are the same. Hopefully mine will be here soon....

I heart the SSS
27-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Still waiting? WTF....

ludecrs
27-01-2009, 10:18 PM
i estimate arrival sometime this week..... provided I haven't been scammed or something...

It was onlyt sent on the 15th of Jan.

dc5ive
28-01-2009, 01:27 PM
cant wait to see pics of it

ludecrs
28-01-2009, 06:14 PM
With reference to the registered post: RR110441257MY, we wish to clarify that Pos Malaysia Berhad through our International Mail Processing Centre, KLIA, the items has been dispatched to Australia, Sydney with Dispatch No. 11, Bag No. 5 on 15th January 2009. Normally, the transit time to Australia is 10 working days from the date of the departure. However, all transit time are subject to Customs Clearance, transport conditions and volume of mail traffic.

At the moment, item has not reach Australia yet.

*sigh*

Seems like foreverrrrr :(

Vuey
30-01-2009, 01:22 PM
my hardtop is for sale at the right price ;)

i even throw in all the fitting hardware .

Will cost you about $400-500 to spray it to match your car.

It only goes on the car during the coldest part of winter for about a month and the rest of the year, it takes up room in the garage.

When we got it on , we cant wait to take it off .

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/vuey/ht2.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/vuey/ht1.jpg

Vuey
30-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Installing the hardtop is pretty straight forward. It takes approximately 20 - 30 minutes using basic tools namely rachets/sockets. Yes, you retain the soft top under the hardtop, although it remains retracted back in the convertible position.

you mean for initial installation or each time ?

As to put it on/off , takes about 30secs ... you need a mate to give you a hand to lift it off the car . Weights about 50-60kg . for the OEM one.

civicem1
31-01-2009, 07:24 PM
The oem hardtop weighs 41kgs.

AusS2000
01-02-2009, 10:08 AM
The oem hardtop weighs 41kgs.

Are you sure? I thought it was more like 25Kg. Have one hanging in my garage right now.

ludecrs
03-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Still waitingggggggggg.

Killed time today waiting for its arrival by spending about 6hrs detailing the car. First time I've taken care of it and cleaned it in the last..... 9 or so months... LOL.

AusS2000
20-02-2009, 07:41 AM

I'm sure you could do this but

A) you don't have to. The folded roof sits perfectly under the hardtop.

B) would make your car almost impossible to resell.

dc5ive
20-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Still waitingggggggggg.

Killed time today waiting for its arrival by spending about 6hrs detailing the car. First time I've taken care of it and cleaned it in the last..... 9 or so months... LOL.

got it yet? :D

BaSsMaXiMuS
20-02-2009, 06:36 PM
^^ Ditto - Can't wait to see it on your ride luders

ludecrs
20-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Well, as you guys know, I purchased a Mugen hardtop from overseas and had it sent over via airmail. It got all the way from Malaysia, to Sydney, to Brisbane to Yatala Mail Centre (my local mail distribution centre 5 minutes up the road), where they then decided to return it back to Malaysia.... without given a ****ing reason.... Now no body knows where my hardtop is. After a few phone calls to malaysia, and AU Post, Aus post claims it was returned, and Malaysia Post deny receiving it.

Seller is no longer responding, and I'm out of pocket $1500US + $160US post. Currently going though the PayPal claims process but that doesn't mean shit.....

Fact is Aus Post returned it back to Malaysia without even trying to send it out. When I asked why, they didn't have a reason on file. I was told it was 'probably' because the overseas sender just wrote on the address, Brad Miller of Ormeau 9town i live in), and not put in my specific details... had they even of gone to my local post office and asked if they knew of a Brad Miller of Ormeau, I'm so well known down there, that they could of given them my address off the top of their head!!!!

Had I of known, I could have picked it up from the distribution centre myself.... now..... no one knows where it is, because Malaysia Post don't record incoming mail...

Ain't life grand......

mr_vtec
20-02-2009, 11:46 PM
****kk meeeee id kill ever **** there lol

<4n'D>
21-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Well, as you guys know, I purchased a Mugen hardtop from overseas and had it sent over via airmail. It got all the way from Malaysia, to Sydney, to Brisbane to Yatala Mail Centre (my local mail distribution centre 5 minutes up the road), where they then decided to return it back to Malaysia.... without given a ****ing reason.... Now no body knows where my hardtop is. After a few phone calls to malaysia, and AU Post, Aus post claims it was returned, and Malaysia Post deny receiving it.

Seller is no longer responding, and I'm out of pocket $1500US + $160US post. Currently going though the PayPal claims process but that doesn't mean shit.....

Fact is Aus Post returned it back to Malaysia without even trying to send it out. When I asked why, they didn't have a reason on file. I was told it was 'probably' because the overseas sender just wrote on the address, Brad Miller of Ormeau 9town i live in), and not put in my specific details... had they even of gone to my local post office and asked if they knew of a Brad Miller of Ormeau, I'm so well known down there, that they could of given them my address off the top of their head!!!!

Had I of known, I could have picked it up from the distribution centre myself.... now..... no one knows where it is, because Malaysia Post don't record incoming mail...

Ain't life grand......

really sorry to hear that brad... malaysia post are one of the most inefficient postal organisations ive known... took a month for a letter i sent from sydney to arrive at the malaysian destination. talk about retarded.

d15z1SUX
21-02-2009, 12:23 AM
all malaysian goverment run organisation suck balls really... ive had some experience dealing with them lol...

dc5ive
21-02-2009, 06:53 AM
fark me ill be on the 1st plane to Malaysia lol

BaSsMaXiMuS
21-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Ah CRAP man!! Assholes, I mean why on earth wouldn't Aust Post investigate the destination on a major item such as this. DAMN Australia Post....

Some one needst to be held accountable for this.

ludecrs
21-02-2009, 10:44 AM
I have until 6/3/09 to file for dispute and get my funds back (hopefully.....). I've stopped sending the seller emails now, as I've done all that I can at this point.

I even said I'd be willing to pay 1/2 the postage costs again to get it sent here, but still no reply.

Worst part is, with the hassles its caused, I'm losing interest in finishing off the car.... I was hoping to run about 14-15 pound of boost through the charger by the end of the month, and I haven't even purchased the parts from the US yet...

Instead, I've recently purchased a 17ft 1/2 cabin boat..... money that ordinarily would of gone to finishing off the car...

BaSsMaXiMuS
21-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Don't let this bad experice hamper your progress. Your car is coming along quite nicely. Although even if you loose some interest now, I am sure that you will get back into it some time later....

BTW... I was flicking through FF&R March 09 issue and saw pics of your ride being dynoed pg 90-91 :)

ludecrs
21-02-2009, 11:14 AM
lol, way old dyno run. Old bumper, more boost etc. From memory the last dyno run I did, ran 305rwhp.