PDA

View Full Version : best match: factory paint or respray?

tops
06-01-2009, 01:47 PM
im going to buy a rear shirt from honda for my '99 prelude but i was wondering wether buying it factory colour coded or buying unpainted and taking it to a sprayer to have it done, and which would match my paint better or if it doesnt matter? ive got a marine blue factory paint on my car and it seems to be in fairly alright condition.

EK1.6LCIV
06-01-2009, 02:06 PM
a good panel beater will match it up just fine, you on the northside or southside? I have a good guy on the northside, actually two, depending where you are, you just need to give him the paint code number, Honda colours are pretty easy to match, even my Green pearl is easy as for him

he's basically going to prep it up, paint and clear, will look oem :D

tops
06-01-2009, 02:15 PM
well i kinda live abit west side... :P but the lip will come unpainted and primed so im guessing that makes it easier as it only needs a paint job done. ive also got some scratches on my front lip which im thinking of havinf redone. is cheaper to get both done together or the same?

EK1.6LCIV
06-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Yes, its cheaper than getting them done at seperate times as painters charge you per 1L of paint they make, they don't store it after use as it goes off very quickly, most places discard unused paint immediately.

You'll still have to prep it probably as primer can get ruined and scratched easily

I can't see if being more than $300 for both, if you can fit them both, prob even cheaper

tops
06-01-2009, 02:52 PM
sounds alright, and i would be fitting them on myself.

but the main question im asking is will getting it already factory colour coded from honda be a good enough match to my car as theres only a $80 difference between getting it unpainted and painted.

EK1.6LCIV
06-01-2009, 02:55 PM
it would be spot on from the dealership, I've got a panel from there before

tops
06-01-2009, 03:04 PM
even taking into account that my car is 10years old? will my paint have faded from the sun? its matellic/pearl sorta blue colour, which was factory. i know that solid colours have more of a tendency to fade but i dunno about my paint here.

EK1.6LCIV
06-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Mine is from 1996 and is still in very good shade and condition (Cypress Green Pearl), the only colour that I have ever seen fade on a Honda to a level where you'd be considered is the Red

tops
06-01-2009, 07:47 PM
has anyone else had a honda factory painted piece match nicely to their old car?

bennjamin
06-01-2009, 07:53 PM
fyi any repairer will use factory-matched paint ~ the same a honda place does. so its up to teh individual repairers skills and prep time that determines the final outcome.

I realize you refer to actual OEM parts from honda - these should be used as benchmarks!

tops
06-01-2009, 08:08 PM
but do factory painted oem parts match to the car paint colour nicely or do you need to have the piece done by a professional to take into account fading or such

bennjamin
06-01-2009, 08:10 PM
i personally have noticed brand new parts be it stored or painted, dont 100% match 10 or 15 year old paint. Its a tiny but noticeable difference. The variables are what part comparing to , and also what colour.

tops
06-01-2009, 08:14 PM
well im ordering in a oem rear skirt for a '99 prelude so ii guess it will be comparing to the bottom of the rear bumper. my car is a super marine blue pearl colour, which is factory, its a sorta shiny blue. the paint doesnt seem to bad but is 10 years worth of sun enough to fade it or would the clear coat be protectiong it?

Red_EG4
06-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Some spray painters are able to make allowances for the fade of your original paint. But I'm not sure if it is standard practice.

tops
07-01-2009, 12:21 AM
so ur saying that most spray painters will use the same paint as what my original car factory colour is and it will probably look the exact same colour as if it were done by honda itself?

..wow i didnt know it worked like that. i thought they always mixed up a batch to match ur car. well there ya go