PDA

View Full Version : COOLING Setup...

EG3B16
06-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Hi Guys,

I drive an EG5 Si stock. Just wanted to get your help and suggestions in regards with cooling systems.

I want to change my radiatior, thermostat and so on.. Nothing fancy just want something reliable... as this heat is crazy....

Any suggestions on parts and what to do or even places to do it will be great.

Cheers!

bennjamin
06-01-2009, 05:37 PM
if your cooling system is standard and everything is working fine , there is no reason to upgrade at all.
All you probably need to do , is replace your thermostat and fluid with new OEM stuff , and properly bleed all air from the system.
Even the hottest day will not get in the way of a properly working coolant system.

EG3B16
06-01-2009, 05:57 PM
if your cooling system is standard and everything is working fine , there is no reason to upgrade at all.
All you probably need to do , is replace your thermostat and fluid with new OEM stuff , and properly bleed all air from the system.
Even the hottest day will not get in the way of a properly working coolant system.

Thanks for that Ben,

But my cars temp goes up in hott days... and only in hott days.... so not sure whats wrong there..

Only happens also when im driving on the motorway... but normal driving it doesnt do it.

So thermostat u reckon?

How much is that usually?

bennjamin
06-01-2009, 06:01 PM
that is not normal.how long are your normal driving trips around town ?
your thermofan or thermo switch might of failed too.
Id change thermostat + coolant, cost about $35 for thermo from honda. Coolant is about $35 too i think. Properly flush and expell all air from the coolant system , then see if the issue still happens

nd55
06-01-2009, 06:16 PM
> Only happens also when im driving on the motorway...
&
> Sydney WEST

In heavy traffic on the M4 aka parking lot?

Not too unusual. There's a lot less air flow into the radiator in bumper to bumper traffic.

I'm with Ben, Make sure it's full of coolant & leave it be.
Given the heat we are having it's to be expected.

If your radiator hoses are getting on (10 yrs), then may be replace them as a precaution, as they don't live forever. I forget what the manual states as the service interval for these.

But if you MUST go for an upgrade, OEM automatic radiators are dual core. OEM manual radiators are single core.

Nick.

EG3B16
06-01-2009, 09:55 PM
not heavy traffic at all.. when im travelling high speeds is when the temp goes up....

weird i know.....

parking no problem.... traffic no problem....

DLO01
06-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Like said above. Theres no reason to "upgrade" your stock cooling system, it is up to the task. But you need to find out 'why' it is overheating. You really need to get it checked out.

Limbo
06-01-2009, 11:25 PM
check the coolant level first, then change thermostat & coolant.
THat should fix ur prob.

EG3B16
06-01-2009, 11:56 PM
coolant level is all good...

i think i mite get my thermostat replaced when i get my service this week...

hopefully that should solve it.

its nothing major.... just comes up once in a while......

thanks for the help....

nd55
07-01-2009, 09:43 AM
> when im travelling high speeds is when the temp goes up....

That's not right.

> i think i mite get my thermostat replaced

I don't suppose that will hurt, but I thought thermostat's got stuck in the open position prior to going to Honda Heaven.

Probably organize a coolant system flush while it's being serviced.

Nick.

EG3B16
07-01-2009, 05:30 PM
is there something wrong with the forum or is it just my connection?

FastFwd
07-01-2009, 05:37 PM
> when im travelling high speeds is when the temp goes up....

That's not right.

> i think i mite get my thermostat replaced

I don't suppose that will hurt, but I thought thermostat's got stuck in the open position prior to going to Honda Heaven.

Probably organize a coolant system flush while it's being serviced.

Nick.

Nah My civic does the same...i have aftermarket thermo, radiator, hoses the works and mine runs almost 10 degree's cooler than the stock setup i dont have a problem but my heat also does go up when im travelling at a constant RPM on a highway/freeway but when im going slower on a normal side street and its start and stop my heat tends to drop. Seems weird to me also cos you would think more air running through the radiator the better it is but the constant RPM must just make it hotter.

EG3B16
07-01-2009, 09:53 PM
^^^ YUP exactly the situation im in right now..... EXACTLY the same!

jesmine0
07-01-2009, 11:53 PM
When is the last time you change ur coolant? The coolant should change every two year for better cooling performance. Besides, make sure using the same coolant as different coolant mix will create much more problems.
If possible, using the OEM coolant as they r from honda and from JAPAN!!
besides, try ur best to flush the entire engine, not only the radiator. disconnect the hoses surrounding the thermostat, plug the pipe water into the upper coolant hose and let the water run for half an hour. they dirt that built up for the last 10 yearssss should be able to flush out.

FastFwd
08-01-2009, 01:05 AM
Nah this is the exact case i had with my EG before i did cooling mods. you have the small Half sized radiator (which is crap) and on a hot 38-40 degree day the car is still drivable but it does reach 100 degree's or slightly over especially after having done quite a few mods to your car.

I had this exact same issue. I got my radiator flushed and serviced by a radiator joint, i also had them do an engine flush, i changed the thermo to a new one and topped it up with new coolant and i still had the same issue. I just think the Eg with the small half sized radiator wasnt built for 38+ degree days driving on the freeway for more than 15 minutes.

Mine started showing significant heat issues when i built the motor and turbo'd it. Mine was to the point where i would think about not taking my car out on a 35+ degree day.

After i got the 52mm thick aluminum PWR radiator, some new silicone tubing, aftermarket thermo and some nicer coolant i haven't had my car got over 90 degree even at 40 degree day when im thrashing it.

I suggest you take the radiator off, take it to a radiator joint and get them to do a service on it. It will come back brand new painted and all and it will cost 50-80 bucks. Then do an engine flush and put some new coolant in and if your still having the same problem then you might need to upgrade. But upgrading will be the last of your decisions.

One more thing, i dont know about upgrading fans if its possible or not but that might be a choice also. I'm just running the stock one atm and it works fine.

EG3B16
08-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Nah this is the exact case i had with my EG before i did cooling mods. you have the small Half sized radiator (which is crap) and on a hot 38-40 degree day the car is still drivable but it does reach 100 degree's or slightly over especially after having done quite a few mods to your car.

I had this exact same issue. I got my radiator flushed and serviced by a radiator joint, i also had them do an engine flush, i changed the thermo to a new one and topped it up with new coolant and i still had the same issue. I just think the Eg with the small half sized radiator wasnt built for 38+ degree days driving on the freeway for more than 15 minutes.

Mine started showing significant heat issues when i built the motor and turbo'd it. Mine was to the point where i would think about not taking my car out on a 35+ degree day.

After i got the 52mm thick aluminum PWR radiator, some new silicone tubing, aftermarket thermo and some nicer coolant i haven't had my car got over 90 degree even at 40 degree day when im thrashing it.

I suggest you take the radiator off, take it to a radiator joint and get them to do a service on it. It will come back brand new painted and all and it will cost 50-80 bucks. Then do an engine flush and put some new coolant in and if your still having the same problem then you might need to upgrade. But upgrading will be the last of your decisions.

One more thing, i dont know about upgrading fans if its possible or not but that might be a choice also. I'm just running the stock one atm and it works fine.

thanks for that mate..... :thumbsup:

just got back from my service... and looks like its the radiator...

i had the choice of getting the radiator serviced or getting a brand new one..... i think the OEM radiator is too thin for these hot conditions... haha

So im getting a brand new one and hopefully that will fix the problem....

We tested everything else and all is good ...

Thanks for everyones help and opinions... :thumbsup: