PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter Replacement for FD1

geboy
07-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Can someone tell me where is the Air Filter spot. I just got a K&N Air Filter replacement for my FD1 but Ive got no idea where to put it in ><'

JaCe
07-01-2009, 09:21 AM
I'll do my best to explain using words only since I don't have access to a photo of the stock engine bay on me (I did... at some point in time; so if you're really stumped I'll go digging for it).

Basically open the hood, and stand facing the front of the car (i.e. in Australia, steering wheel should thus appear to your left). On YOUR right, about halfway in the middle, there should be a black box with silver clips around it. It's about the same size as the panel filter you purchased. Undo the clips, which may be a bit hard at first if they haven't ever been opened before (and they could be hot). When you've opened all the clips, the lid to the box will slide off and you will see the existing air filter (it should be white from memory but again, colours do change with usage!). Simply take it out by lifting it up, and taking note of where the cut-off corner is, insert the K&N filter in the same direction*. Make sure the fit is right/tight/etc and then put the lid back on and close all those silver clips. Viola! you're done.

Whether or not you'll notice a significant difference is questionable but it's supposed to allow you to rev more freely. It'll sound slightly different too when you rev.

* Note: I am presuming you don't need to re-oil the K&N filter since they come factory pre-oiled when new.

geboy
07-01-2009, 04:39 PM
cool thanks heaps for ur reply. nice decription there :D. ill go take a look at it. yes u presumed right. it is pre-oiled. once again thank you

JOhnnyFD
08-01-2009, 05:24 PM
check http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2342

and down below click on installation instruction sheet.

i've got a K&N air filter myself too... luv it:D

u guys think the K&N Typhoon Kit SRI is any good?

BC8
08-01-2009, 08:00 PM
The SRI might possibly could send problems to the ecu with possibility of the engine light turning on. SRI conduct alot of heat in the engine bay as opposed to CAI which directly feed air below. you'll prob feel the difference on a hot summers day

geboy
08-01-2009, 09:47 PM
thanks JohnnyFD. ive still yet to install it. too lazy atm and got heaps of other things to do atm

JOhnnyFD
08-01-2009, 09:53 PM
no worries geboy... but for the CAI, ppl have said that you get the power in the high revs but isnt great for low revs and so it gets annoying for day-to-day drive??

JaCe
08-01-2009, 10:26 PM
I like my Typhoon intake on my FD1. Feels and sounds great :)

JOhnnyFD
10-01-2009, 03:14 PM
ur sellin ur air filter geboy?

black8thgen
10-01-2009, 03:19 PM
jace is your typhoon intake a CAI or SRI?

JaCe
10-01-2009, 04:18 PM
jace is your typhoon intake a CAI or SRI?

SRI.

Search the OzHonda Civic forums for K&N Typhoon and you'll see my thread from a while back with all the details.
EDIT: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81969&highlight=k&#37;26amp%3Bn+typhoon

geboy
11-01-2009, 12:18 AM
to JOhnnyFD: yeh i think i might...im thinking since im not actually very good at these things i better leave the air filter original and let honda service change it whenever it needs changing rather than taking it out and reoiling it...

u interested in it?? :P

ej20i
11-01-2009, 03:39 AM
how much u selling it?

JOhnnyFD
11-01-2009, 10:34 AM
to JOhnnyFD: yeh i think i might...im thinking since im not actually very good at these things i better leave the air filter original and let honda service change it whenever it needs changing rather than taking it out and reoiling it...

u interested in it?? :P

dudee... its pretty simple to change... also note that the K&N AIR Filter doesnt void warranty and when you service your car, tell them not to change the air filter... or maybe you could call em up when booking ur service and ask to change your air filter to your K&N (it shouldnt cost more but ask in good faith, it takes like less than a minute to change)

advantage of K&N is that it gives abit more performance and power and that it makes the engine run more efficient.. never need to replace K&N (remember to clean though once in a while)

JOhnnyFD
11-01-2009, 02:53 PM
R18A Engine bay with the AIR Filter box to the right
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo22/JOhnnyFD1/R0010634.jpg

AIR Filter Box
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo22/JOhnnyFD1/R0010633.jpg

Stock Honda AIR Filter (just unclip the 4 clips on the side and pull it off from the back rubber "hose")
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo22/JOhnnyFD1/R0010637.jpg

K&N AIR Filter
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo22/JOhnnyFD1/R0010640.jpg

Hope that helps:thumbsup:

JaCe
11-01-2009, 06:52 PM
dudee... its pretty simple to change... also note that the K&N AIR Filter doesnt void warranty and when you service your car, tell them not to change the air filter... or maybe you could call em up when booking ur service and ask to change your air filter to your K&N (it shouldnt cost more but ask in good faith, it takes like less than a minute to change)

advantage of K&N is that it gives abit more performance and power and that it makes the engine run more efficient.. never need to replace K&N (remember to clean though once in a while)

There's a reason why K&N filters come with that sticker for your airbox which says do not throw out the K&N filter :)

geboy
11-01-2009, 11:36 PM
haha cool thanks heaps JohnnyFD. my car is also due for a service. so ill ask them to fix it for me if it doesnt cost any extra :D.

geboy
03-02-2009, 01:22 PM
hmm..ive installed it but i seem to feel as though the response is alot slower now. is it just me or anyone noticed it? :S

black8thgen
04-02-2009, 05:51 PM
oh really? Lol... maybe i wont get mine anymore =D. anyone else felt lack of response due to the K&N filter?

markCivicVti
04-02-2009, 06:31 PM
must be something to do with the sensor not being plugged in properly. Try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes to reset the ecu

JOhnnyFD
08-02-2009, 03:02 PM
question guys...
is there a huge difference btw the k&n and mugen air panel filter for FD? besides the pricing (approx $95 for k&n and $199 for mugen).. is the mugen one pre-oiled and doesnt need replacing (which the k&n is)?? i saw a pic of the mugen filter and its thicker than the k&n (similar size thickness to the stock OEM)

howy
08-02-2009, 10:21 PM
the mugen one comes pre-oiled.

not sure about the difference since i've never tried the k&n ones.

but i doubt they'll be significant difference.

that reminds me, i'll need to get the cleaning oil for it... hmm, does anyone know where i could get one of those kits?

black8thgen
09-02-2009, 02:24 PM
do u need to clean and re-oil the K&N filters?

JOhnnyFD
09-02-2009, 08:45 PM
yep.. for k&n pretty much every 6months or every year, need to clean it through a high-pressure air blow and oiled... but k&n guarantees that you dont need to clean it or pre-oil it ever.. but better to maintain it every once in a while

i guess for mugen, paying for the name brand.. but k&n is pretty aiight.. world leading air fillters

black8thgen
09-02-2009, 09:02 PM
thinking of getting me a K&N one soon, but is there really much point out of it/ Like what benefits will it give in the long/short run?

JOhnnyFD
09-02-2009, 09:53 PM
- lifetime guaranteed, wont void warranty on engine
- wont ever need to replace air filter panel
- engine runs abit more fuel efficient since it gives better airflow
- gets abit more power performance

its not a huge mod compared to CAI or SRI (which cost btw 400-600 whereas k&n air filter is 95) it puts in abit more power than the panels but there is a risk to the engine (eg for CAI, risk of water running into engine which is really bad.. SRI, not guaranteed more power performance due to the hot air near the engine and on hot days.. also the ecu sometimes doesn't recognise the mods and could affect the runnin of the engine)

geboy
09-02-2009, 10:00 PM
must be something to do with the sensor not being plugged in properly. Try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes to reset the ecu

oic. ill go try that thanks.

black8thgen
10-02-2009, 11:03 AM
ah sweet. Cheers johnny =D. I'll probably grab myself one soon.

JOhnnyFD
10-02-2009, 02:59 PM
heads-up black8thgen

for FD2.. i not entirely too sure if k&n or mugen provides air panel filters em.. only for FD1.. coz the air panel filter has an entirely different shape btw the FD1 and FD2.

black8thgen
10-02-2009, 06:26 PM
yeah, i've found one for the fd2 on ebay =D. someone in this thread posted a part number for it so yeah found one! =D.

thanks for the help tho mate.