PDA

View Full Version : Honda cuts more projects including new s2k

panda[cRx]
08-01-2009, 11:47 AM
as found on:
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009/01/07/news-gt-gt-honda-cuts-more-projects-including-new-s2k.aspx

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090106/FREE/901069977

Honda cancels V8 program, S2000 and CR-Z convertible, report says

By GREG MIGLIORE (http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/personalia?ID=&category=contact)

http://www.autoweek.com/graphics/zoom1.gif (http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090106/FREE/901069977&Show=0&template=zoom&Site=CW&Date=20090106&Category=FREE&ArtNo=901069977&Ref=AR&CRED=Honda) A favorite of enthusiasts, the S2000, appears to be on the chopping block.

Honda

Fun appears to be on the chopping block at Honda. Plans for the successor to the S2000 sports car, a lineup of rear-drive Acuras, a proposed V8 engine and a drop-top built off the CR-Z hybrid are all dead, according to a report in a British magazine.

The reason: Honda is rethinking its product plans as it grapples with the global downturn in sales and economic conditions, Autocar is reporting.

In the United States, Honda’s sales fell 8 percent last year and fell 35 percent in December. Tough times have led to the demise of the NSX supercar program, which would have had a front-mounted V10 and was to be a 2010 model.

Now, Honda also has decided to shelve a rear-drive V8-powered BMW-fighting Acura that was due in 2015, according to Autocar. The V8--long a sticky issue with Honda’s green image--was seen as the wrong powerplant, given the sporadic price of fuel.

The Japanese automaker remains doubled-down on hybrids with a slew of them, including the new Insight due in the spring. Honda also sees diesel power as the best short-term option for larger vehicles.

Damn. Just a few weeks after we reported that Honda had halted developed of the next gen NSX (http://speedhunters.com/archive/2008/12/18/news-gt-gt-next-gen-nsx-cancelled.aspx), there's word that they are scrapping some of their other projects as well. According to an article published on Autoweek.com, Honda is stopping development for the S2000 replacement, the CR-Z sports hybrid, and rear wheel drive luxury sedans that would be powered by a new V8 engine. The toughest news has to be the demise of the S2000 replacement, as it's been one of the most popular Japanese sports cars out there since its debut 10 years ago.
The last time Honda really updated the S2000 was back in 2004, and it makes you wonder how long the aging model will remain in the lineup. As expected, Honda cites the poor auto market as the reason for these cuts. Sad news, but at least this guarantees the popularity of the current S2000 model for quite a while. Now might be a good time to pick one of those up if you were waiting on the now-dead replacement.

Snoop_gee
10-01-2009, 10:10 PM
i was so looking for the CR-Z
but now all hope is lost. ... *deflated*

DreadAngel
11-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Its not like it wasn't a possibility...

JOhnnyFD
11-01-2009, 10:46 AM
goddamn global financial crisis... hopefully things pick up and plans continue on if ontime or delayed.

iLlusion10
11-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Financial crisis will pick up over the next 5 years most analysts predict, could be faster...

fasthonda
11-01-2009, 07:03 PM
i was so looking for the CR-Z
but now all hope is lost. ... *deflated*

I don't think Honda will shaft the CR-Z coupe.From what I've read,it seems the CR-Z drop top version is on the chopping block.
Dunno about the S2000-it's just that fuel costs and the movement to "greener "vehicles has forced Honda and others to re-evaluate their longer term strategies.
The obession with carbon emissions has countries that will penalise manufacturers,ethier by fines or selling prohibitions, if they don't meet legislative,pre-determined level of emissions.
The Autocar article has been found not be entirely accurate.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=808157

Acura may still have plans to compete with BMW and Audi but at this point Honda/Acura have not made any official press release.

VTi_b0i
11-01-2009, 07:21 PM
i HOPE its JUST the CR-Z convertible their cancelling... i too am holding out for the CR-Z... it looks awsome

panda[cRx]
11-01-2009, 08:25 PM
its just the convertible they're canceling....for now

Snoop_gee
11-01-2009, 09:12 PM
phew such a relief to hear that.

Leslie
13-01-2009, 10:35 PM
they won't rest until every car manufacturer out there only sells 4 doors sedan/wagons, and 4WD soccer mum tanks!

JMSBND
14-01-2009, 02:38 AM
NSX Monster dead? Oh what could have been. That vid of it on the Ring was magic.

S2000 not fuel efficient enough WTF? I am about to move over an hours drive from work and if I still had my Ford XR6 Turbo gas guzzler it would not be happening.

CRX Targa replacement a no show..................AGAIN! I guess if you want a Honda with a wind in the hair experience now you may as well buy a Jazz with a sunroof and sit on a milk crate?

LEGEND RWD V8, or any RWD luxury saloon at all? I guess Hondas idea of luxury now is an Accord with boofy sheepskin seat covers, 200mm ground clearance and a bowls hat on the rear parcel shelf. Yup that will take the fight up to Mercedes, BMW and Lexus........

Soichiro Honda is gonna throw a lightning bolt up someones ass for this, he would be turning in his grave!

Whats next? Honda Civics with CT110 postie bike motors?

FFS!

panda[cRx]
14-01-2009, 02:04 PM
CRX Targa replacement a no show..................AGAIN! I guess if you want a Honda with a wind in the hair experience now you may as well buy a Jazz with a sunroof and sit on a milk crate?

while the crz hybrid is similar in design wasnt really aimed at being the new crx. they're still goin ahead with the crz, just not the convertable version

Arkayn
14-01-2009, 07:06 PM
I thought the same thing Soichiro Honda is turning in his grave, he hasn't even been gone that long and his legacy and everything he built the company on is gone.
No NSX, S2k, Integra, CRX, Del-Sol, then there is the crappy UK designed Civic Type-R that doesn't fit the legacy - torsion beam suspension for a big boot WTF, should be double wishbone with no carpet cause that ads weight!

NSX Monster dead? Oh what could have been. That vid of it on the Ring was magic.

S2000 not fuel efficient enough WTF? I am about to move over an hours drive from work and if I still had my Ford XR6 Turbo gas guzzler it would not be happening.

LEGEND RWD V8, or any RWD luxury saloon at all? I guess Hondas idea of luxury now is an Accord with boofy sheepskin seat covers, 200mm ground clearance and a bowls hat on the rear parcel shelf. Yup that will take the fight up to Mercedes, BMW and Lexus........

Soichiro Honda is gonna throw a lightning bolt up someones ass for this, he would be turning in his grave!

Whats next? Honda Civics with CT110 postie bike motors?

FFS!

JMSBND
14-01-2009, 07:59 PM
I thought the same thing Soichiro Honda is turning in his grave, he hasn't even been gone that long and his legacy and everything he built the company on is gone.
No NSX, S2k, Integra, CRX, Del-Sol, then there is the crappy UK designed Civic Type-R that doesn't fit the legacy - torsion beam suspension for a big boot WTF, should be double wishbone with no carpet cause that ads weight!

AMEN Brother.....................remember the TYPE R TEG............radio-option and forget sound deadening BE A MAN LOLOLOLOL!!!

Arkayn
14-01-2009, 08:11 PM
what do you think, should i trade my accord euro for an S15 spec-r or an S2K?

fasthonda
14-01-2009, 10:36 PM

If you feel that Honda has let you down ,BUY...... another ......MAKE .......of car it's that simple!?!
Because you give me the impression that you are too hardcore for a FN2,buy an EP3 import.A number of people on OZHONDA forums have bought that particular Type R and with little modification,have achieved sub-14 secs in 1/4 mile.But remember, the FD2 which is a faster and better handling car than the EP3,could be available as a grey import in about two years or so.
The S2000 great car but if I had a male passenger I wouldn't dare drive with the top down because well...it looks a bit sus. if you know what I mean? ;)
The S15 spec-r is a good car maybe give that a go?
I know that some of the decisions(by Honda) are not popular with enthuasists but in these tough times Honda is trying to position itself in world markets the best it can.

Check this clip out -The ultimate Civic!

http://www.mugen-power.com/concept/autosalon2009/civic/index.html

Philip Lee
15-01-2009, 04:09 PM
the FD2 which is a faster and better handling car than the EP3,could be available as a grey import in about two years or so.

unfortunately this is not gonna happen, just like we never got EK Type R.

S2kane
16-01-2009, 10:29 AM

Get S2k dude.. :thumbsup:

Type R Positive
20-01-2009, 02:03 PM
The S2000 great car but if I had a male passenger I wouldn't dare drive with the top down because well...it looks a bit sus. if you know what I mean? ;)
ROFL!
Too funny! :D

Type R Positive
20-01-2009, 02:04 PM
what do you think, should i trade my accord euro for an S15 spec-r or an S2K?S2K if you can fit in it.....

gnx1987
24-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Couldn't see any threads on it or if it was posted here but Honda's pulled out of F1 too.

bodaas
25-01-2009, 08:49 AM

my opinion,,it isnt worth it paying 25k+ for car with over 100k on the clock,,

better get S15