PDA

View Full Version : Where Do I Start ?

ROL-13Z 94 vtec
08-01-2009, 03:32 PM
hey guys,

just woundering and asking for advice where do i start with mods to my car ?

exhaust
-
-
-
-
what would improve the cars preformance N/A ? (P plater restrictions):thumbdwn:

Menzy
08-01-2009, 03:33 PM
CIA (Cold Air Intake)
Headers
ECU... i would get a good ecu after CIA Headers and exhuast

then maybe some coilovers for handling all depends what you want from the car.

Q_ball
08-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Perhaps searching and reading some of the stickies that have been posted up? :)

Just a thought.
Try this thread for starters.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41413

Barge Ass
08-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Final drive FTW

tops
08-01-2009, 04:12 PM
so ive already got exhaust system, headers and cai.

would my next step be an ecu? or should i do some more mods before an ecu really becomes benafical. just seems abit early to get an ecu

MikeyG
08-01-2009, 06:54 PM
bigger cams, rods, boring and sleeving blahblahblah.... if you got money go for gold!

dahon
08-01-2009, 08:07 PM
handling > engine

theuan101
08-01-2009, 09:24 PM
handling > engine

I agree!!

JohnL
08-01-2009, 09:31 PM
A set of Konis...

tps09
08-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Where to start off with a new car,

I reckon 80% of people go for an airfilter

1 - airfilter such as SRI / CAI = short ram intake / cold air intake - $200-300

2 - go for shocks + springs or else coilovers abit deerr also makes your ride little sexy =) $700-1500

3 - full exhaust for performance extra kw's [ headers + cat + bpipe + muffler ] - $1000

4 - consider getting a short shifter, gear ratio's are closer - 200

5 - Change ECU to Hondata - get it tunded

6 - bigger swaybars + strutbars would be good keep the chassis down at all times, - $300-400

well there just idea's to share around for those who wants to know the basics of whats out there to mod on gaining performance wise,

more advance would be, bigger engine / internals work such as bigger cams & etc.

cheers,

ROL-13Z 94 vtec
09-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Thats a good list (if you got the dosh) -> what order be the way to go ?

tps09
09-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Thats a good list (if you got the dosh) -> what order be the way to go ?

thanks dude,

pretty much what you can afford, takes first place ahah.

well the way i've explain would be nice, just depends on you whats affordable & whats not,

Go, intake for awhile & save up, sounds decent

then you can look at suspension work, make your ride look nice and lowalso + handling & traction

sound comes in - exhaust where most of the power comes in, kwkwkwkw

upgrading ECU & getting it tuned is one of the best for performance

ROL-13Z 94 vtec
09-01-2009, 12:38 AM
yeah money is the key
i'd rather save and go for better mods that will do some thing rather then lil cheaps one that add up and not do shit

-0-better parts over a period ov time-0- ?

JohnL
09-01-2009, 06:50 AM
4 - consider getting a short shifter, gear ratio's are closer - 200

Has no affect on ratios. Does make the shift feel 'sportier'.

5 - Change ECU to Hondata -

I doubt there's any worthwhile benefit with a stock or near stock engine.

Otherwise some good suggestions.

tops
09-01-2009, 09:04 AM
what would you need to make an ecu work harder?

is that where you start going into engine mods and fiddle around with the pistons and cams and so on?

ROL-13Z 94 vtec
09-01-2009, 08:23 PM
i think so am i wrong ?

DreadAngel
09-01-2009, 08:35 PM
@tps09 - D series vs B series bro, your suggestion would be good with B but not with D...

Fellas, before running off and giving the guy your usual list, look at what car and engine it is first...

EG5 VTi with a D16Y1 =|

Sorry to say but even if you did the exhaust (headers, cat, catback) and intake (CAI/SRI) stuff you won't see anything noticeably change =| In fact you'll probably go backwards... Waste of money and time imo...

If you want to improve the car, drop in panel filter of some sort, some sort of catback depending what sound you want and thats about as much as I would do to the D16Y1 unless you want to turbo the bitch but you're a P Plater so a no go.

Make your car more fun by doing handling mods (Shock and Springs + Swaybars) and lighter (lightweight rims, minimal ICE etc if its been done by previous owner) then enjoy it as it is...

theuan101
10-01-2009, 01:12 AM
For the amount you will spend on making your car maybe 10kw ATW faster wont make it anymore fun driving. spend it on things that make it look good!

Honda's a NA so the exhaust is going to be loud (JDM brand exhaust like 5zigen, skunk 2) or even a custom exhaust.

I agree with DreadAngel, get a K&N panel filter, get some nice lightweight wheels. Get the type r replica front lip and maybe some Recaro's if you want to spend more. Or get some good suspension (make it handle really good). Or even a good sound system. Get JDM parts your car will look very good, the Japs know exactly how to make cars look great!

The point is make your car more comfy to drive, make it look good but not overboard. Otherwise you will attract the wrong attention and get your self in trouble with the wrong people. Plus with the road regulations getting stricter you don't want to get in trouble with the cops. You don't want to loose your license over something stupid, you will regret it.

If you want a fast car you should have bought a Integra Type R, or some turbo car.

Sorry if it sounds like I am lecturing. But at the end of the day it is your money and your choice you are going to to exactly what you want no matter what any of our opinions was!

Cheers

VT22EC
11-04-2010, 05:16 PM
does anyone know if there is alot of a difference in power output between stage 2 cams and stage 3 ?

dougie_504
11-04-2010, 05:25 PM
What car/engine?

For power ---> I/H/E (cold air intake, headers and exhaust)

But probably best to do handling first - coilovers and some strut braces :D