PDA

View Full Version : do i really need to worry...

gabacus
09-01-2009, 10:13 AM
hi guys,

i have been dreaming of an S2000 for a while now and will be looking to actually make a purchase in march this year. i have been looking through carsales and that for a while and i have noticed something that has me curious and a little concerned...

there are a number of S2000's out there with new interiors and i wondered why people would do that... i was thinking that knife happy people have not only been cutting into the soft top but also slashing up interiors! do any of you know of this happening? if so, how common is it?

i understand that there are theives out there... i dont keep valuables in my car and in the past all i have had to deal with is broken windows. a pain in the butt though it could be worse...

slashing the soft top and interior freaks the crap out of me...

Ferrari
09-01-2009, 10:35 AM
What do you mean new interiors? I have changed my centre console to leather, and many others have as the 00-02 models had carpeted consoles. Also the seats can be prone to wear? Especially the side bolters

gabacus
09-01-2009, 10:52 AM
i have heard of the center console upgrade (which i would probably do if i got an early model) and i know that the side bolters can look used very quickly... but most of these cars have under 100k and have had seats and associated trim reupholstered. i mean, i know you get wear but can it really be that bad...

by the way... sorry if this is a really stupid question... im still a noob...

rokkuchan
09-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Just get a good alarm and good common sense of where u park ur car.

I have a Cobra alarm with microwave sensor adjusted so even a hand hovering 10 cm off the roof the alarm will go off. But bad thing is, a birdsh*t or a leaf dropping on it will trigger it.

gabacus
09-01-2009, 12:08 PM
hahahahahhahahahah!!!! man, if a bird took a sh*t on my car i would want an alarm to go off too!!!

you make a good point though. how much did the alarm set you back? does it run off a separate battery?

actually, i have not seen a thread on alarms for the S2000... perhaps one should be started?

vtek
09-01-2009, 01:23 PM
best thing to do is have insurance as you cant stop idiots.

sho
09-01-2009, 03:06 PM
u can get a factory upgrade module if u want to keep the existing alarm trigger
did that to mine and had microwave sensors as well but even strong wind will make the alarm go off since it moves the roof? =\

rokkuchan
10-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Mmm I got Cobra alarm via a friend in Melbourne who works in the Cobra alarm main shop.... dunno what it's called there but i'm in Adelaide...

Check here
http://www.cobracaralarms.com.au/Text/1108514063702-3464/Factory-Upgrade-Alarms

Set me back about 280 buks fully optioned (employee discount i think), not sure how much they normally cost retail...

It's upgrade alarm,
the usual black wiring etc
backup alarm
microwave
dual stage shock sensor
apparently there is a tilt sensor from protection for your wheels?? (not sure) - haven't tested it yet...
anti hijack etc
and all the usual alarm features...

hahahahahhahahahah!!!! man, if a bird took a sh*t on my car i would want an alarm to go off too!!!

you make a good point though. how much did the alarm set you back? does it run off a separate battery?

actually, i have not seen a thread on alarms for the S2000... perhaps one should be started?

AusS2000
10-01-2009, 05:46 PM
In answer to the original poster's question, the interior modded cars you are looking at are from ricers who are looking for that fully hectic look. Stay well clear.