PDA

View Full Version : What to look out for in a used integra

Pseudo Psycho
09-01-2009, 12:01 PM
I searched for a while and found nothing relevant (both google and this forum) so forgive me if I missed a thread or something

A friend is looking at buying a 1997 VTiR integra, and the photos etc from the seller look good so far. We're planning to drive up and test the car in person some time next week, and I was wondering if there's a 'what to look for when buying a used integra' guide on this forum or elsewhere. I know the general stuff for all cars (check panel gaps, check engine bay paint matches etc) but i need help with anything more specific to an integra.

Thanks in advance
-Oliver

Menzy
09-01-2009, 12:39 PM
here is a place to start :)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18699

Pseudo Psycho
09-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Yeah i saw that thread, there was very little relevant to buying a used one... the closest was an article on "DC5R Common Issues" which is the wrong generation.

Any other links?

T-onedc2
09-01-2009, 08:06 PM
My bro and mate both have '97 VTi-R's (both owned from 108,000-160,000km), I have a '99 (72,000-117,000km) so feel free to PM me random questions.

Some things to check of the top of my head:

-a few annoying rattles can be normal

-original radiator top tank cracks around 110,000km, and is a very dark greenish colour, the replacement is black. Not expensive.

-check for shakey sunroof operation, needs greasing but should be ok

-door lock actuators can fail, but an inexpensive fix

Seriously if it looks the goods after a close inspection and good drive, has a good service history then chances are it'll be fine. All three of us have had virtually no issues to speak of, just general wear and tear.

IZY-10
09-01-2009, 10:15 PM
check
gear box for synchro damage
boot in the spare wheel arch from any water leaks
engine mounts
intake arm for excess blowby

Pseudo Psycho
10-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks everyone, that's very helpful.

Quick question, but how do i check the intake arm for excess blowby? (excuse my ignorance)

T-onedc2
10-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Just remove the intake arm between the airbox and throttle body (TB), there's a small pipe which appears to run from the rocker cover meeting the intake maybe 6 inches from the TB. In that 6 inch space is where you should find oily residue inside the arm which will extend to the TB also. You will need a medium phillips head screwdriver or 8mm socket.

Expect to find some trace, but not excessive amounts.