PDA

View Full Version : oil + filter srvicing

rookie_gsi_act
11-01-2009, 01:35 AM
hey, doing my first srevcing by myself, just doing oil + filter + sparkplugs , wondering whether ther is anything else i should look out for while im at it, did major 200k bout 6k ago, i searchd for smilar threads though only found stuff ont he major services, advice wud be appreciated thanks.:)

shadou
11-01-2009, 04:00 AM
what was included with the 200k ? Should have been a timing belt change + replacements of other worn belts, tappet adjustments, oil and filter change, should some places do it differently.

Other things that spring to mind would be brake fluid flush and clutch if applicable if over 60,000km since last, gearbox fluid and coolant if over 80,000km since last.
have fun.

na-118
11-01-2009, 09:01 AM
change all fluids, sparks, spark leads, air filter, oil , oil filter, then you wouldnt worry for another 10 - 20 odd thousand kms besides oil and oil filter

90LAN
11-01-2009, 09:14 AM
fuel filter too if that hasnt been changed for a while

A-man
11-01-2009, 09:31 AM
if ur going by the book u dont really have to do any.... thats assuming ur doing ur service at 206XXXkms.. but like alot of people (which is good practice), u only need to glance over it clean the bay look for leaks like, oil sump p/s hoses etc. and just change the oil i wouldnt even worry bout plugs there good for 10000 otherwise just re gap them if they need to.

rookie_gsi_act
11-01-2009, 05:25 PM
sweet, thx heaps for your replies, i just did the oil filter + oil today, it was my first time, and it was actually fun ;p , but um yeh im gon do my spark plugs nxt week and ill probz do all the other stuff fuel filter clutch oil etc, ill take a look in the diy section and see if i cn figure it out else im back here, thanks

oh and yeh this is at 204k i did the 200k and 198k all the belts, oil filter dun think they did tappets dun even no wat that is...

Zilli
11-01-2009, 06:55 PM
bit of throttle body cleaner helps too

A-man
11-01-2009, 07:05 PM
yeh true

u should do the tappets because if u dont do them they gum up and it makes a little more stuffing around to get them right...

i heard that the harmonics of the vtec helps loosen them aswell so doesnt hurt to make sure there tight, it also stops the ticking if u have it..

Zilli
13-01-2009, 10:54 AM
i think whoever is providingg you with your information is incorrect dude...

If the harmonics of an engine (not the VTEC) were to loosen the retainer bolts of your valves then there would be massive issues with the design...

But, having said that, valve lash is an important spec in a motor, generally getting your valve lash checked and adjust at log book intervals is appropriate

EK1.6LCIV
13-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Oil
OEM Oil filter
Could flush OEMcoolant, not overly difficult to do if it's old fluid
Replace OEM air filter
OEM Spark Plugs
OEM Transmission fluid
OEM Fuel Filter
Also could flush the clutch line (if applicable)

that's what I'd be doing

also

check your battery fluid or life gauge
tire condition and wear
washer fluid condition and level
brake fluid level

A-man
13-01-2009, 06:17 PM
and pad level while u checkin ur wheels
also check cv joints
p/s

and i was told from honda r u sayin honda is wrong??? its quite well known...