PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Size for 86-89 Intergra

thebranded
11-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Well i finally got around to doing my exhaust up.

Whats the best size? 2" or 2.25"
Already got a HM SS header. Engines D16A3.

I'm not after anything loud just a bit more performance.

btw this is an auto so no future plans to turbo or anything. Was also told a High flo cat would not be worth it for a auto this true?

cheers

TB

NSPYRE
11-01-2009, 01:53 PM
go for 2"

any bigger and it will sound droney

thebranded
12-01-2009, 08:09 AM
ah cool, thats what i was leaning to.

any idea on the hi flo cat?

qikteg
12-01-2009, 01:35 PM
basically, if you have a full, free-flowing system, if will be more beneficial than if you didn't. if you retain the stock cat and flex pipe, then they will be the restrictive parts of the system.

to make use of the headers, i would get a hiflo cat and 2" flex pipe as well as a 2" piping system.

NSPYRE
12-01-2009, 04:16 PM
^^^ as above. ur exhaust system is only as strong as ur weakest link. so, if u just got headers and cat-back u'll have a bottle-neck effect. think of it like an hour glass - if u eliminate the taper in the middle then obviously the flow will increase :)

thebranded
12-01-2009, 04:53 PM
ok just spoke to Harkan from performance exhaust centre, 2" is the way to go, new 2" flex as well but he was also saying the hi flo cat may not be worth it. :confused:

Will probably leave the cat for now and see how it is, and put the cat later once i have a bit more money.

Cheers

TB

Riviera
12-01-2009, 05:09 PM
thats just there opinion because its a old car and motor they reckon you wont get much of a gain from it...
but youve got headers sooooo..... up to you

maybe use this for exp and knowledge if u wanted? id leave it... get a dyno
run, then when u have the $$ and time, get it done and get it dyno'd again,
and post it up :thumbsup: if u wanted....

thebranded
12-01-2009, 07:23 PM
i'd love to get it dyno'd but how much would that cost me? Any good cheap place?

NSPYRE
12-01-2009, 09:43 PM
just wait til a OH dyno day. cost you around $50 for a few runs

thebranded
12-01-2009, 09:47 PM
seems like there one in Melb soon but how about syd?

[edit] profile updated

qikteg
12-01-2009, 09:56 PM
i'd trust haks from performance exhaust centre, and i know a few others around here would too. he's probably looking at a cost vs gains comparison. but yeah, as above, leave it, dyno, install, then re-dyno. would be good to see some real-world comparisons..