PDA

View Full Version : new to Honda's

MATNES motorsports
12-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Hello :wave:

i just brought my first honda, a 1981 accord hatch.

it is a bit rough and i need an engine for it i hope it turns out to be a fun car

i also need bits of info, like motor sport stuff, and i though who better to ask than some honda nutters :eek: :) as i have no idea about these cars.

here is a pic
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/MATNES/10cleaned.jpg

and my other toy
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/MATNES/my%20race%20cars/100_2850.jpg

Cheers
MATT

cupnoodle
12-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Old school hondas, how much did it cost $2.50?

Welcome to OH, i like the number plate. WOW

MATNES motorsports
12-01-2009, 02:56 PM
the Accord was $50 with a heap of spares, it even has a 6 point roll cage and race seats, it just needs a motor, what else fits into these???? with out to much mucking round of course!!

the other is a Mitsu Colt, one of only 5 left here in oz, and 2 others in europe.

cheers for the welcome

MATT

night_wolf
12-01-2009, 10:23 PM
b series engine should fit without to much hassel. i know b series egines have gone into old school mini coopers so worth a try id say.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
12-01-2009, 10:31 PM
HOLY SHIT, DO WANT!!!!!

A B-series should fit but you will need various things done/made for it to fit.

I would suggest going for a D16a1 from a 1st generation integra :p

I heart the SSS
12-01-2009, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE=cupnoodle;2074772]Old school hondas, how much did it cost $2.50?
[QUOTE]

:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

Welcome dude!

hisoka
12-01-2009, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=cupnoodle;2074772]Old school hondas, how much did it cost $2.50?
[QUOTE]

:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

Welcome dude!

agree aye. totally not cool.

welcome to ozhonda.

you should restore the car imo. but yer b series should be okai.

i hope you restore it. looks good when restored.

MATNES motorsports
13-01-2009, 08:36 AM
how much work to put the B engine in, anyone on here done it?? i haven't done an engine swap with FWD before, there is plenty of room under the hood for a much bigger engine.

it will be a rally car when i'm finished, it has most of the bits already. if i keep it with the normal motor it can run as a Classic or put "any" honda engine in and go AMSAG.

they have an aggressive look(IMO) and would look good lowered with big wheels to fill the guards better.

cheers
MATT

SiReal
13-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Welcome Matt, decide on your budget. no point in listening to those touting the B-series.

You decide - would it be a viable option to spend $4000 (maybe more due to incompatibility), on a car you bought for $50? I know I wouldn't.

I would listen to Shogun and obtain something like the D16a1 (should be cheap as chips), put that in, get the car going first and then you can see whether its worth working it or not once you give the car an entire checkover.

MATNES motorsports
13-01-2009, 09:02 AM
i am looking for the cheapest way, @ $4000+ i could rebuild the stock motor with a balance/head work/cam and full efi !!! and then still have change

it came with extractors cam and a webber not fitted.........the last owner did a dirt event with no air cleaner :confused: and wondered why it started to smoke.

i have found out the 1800cc motor ran from 1978 to 1985 so i should be able to find something. i am in no rush as it needs some minor rust repairs and some paint.

MATT

Lukey
13-01-2009, 09:09 AM
please try and restore it to its original state?

night_wolf
13-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Mate alot of cars in oz have engine swaps. depends on what you want and it all comes to the finances as well. for about $4k you can pick up a b series engine with the loom and gearbox.

MATNES motorsports
13-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Mate alot of cars in oz have engine swaps.
:eek: really :eek:

depends on what you want and it all comes to the finances as well. for about $4k you can pick up a b series engine with the loom and gearbox.

but then you have to fit it and get it past rego, as i said above $4000 and it would all most be on the road with plenty for the street/track fun. i'm more for useing what they came with and drive the wheels of it

@ lukey : it will be restored so far but unless i can find another 1 or 2 then it will just be a Khana basher for the wife and kids to use, so if you see one not to far from the ACT thats not to stuffed let me know

MATT

FastFwd
13-01-2009, 01:05 PM
I wanna find these deals? i want a car i can fiddle with like this for $50 bucks. I would love to restore a junk honda for fun.

MATNES motorsports
13-01-2009, 01:37 PM
here is one i picked up for $48....and that was for the trailer rental

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/MATNES/my%20race%20cars/stock.jpg

spent $500 on fixing the suspension, put an old webber on it and took it to the track...........and is was only 1.5 sec's of the club champions car time( class 1/2 0-1600cc ) my only mistake was not shortening the bump stops enough, but it made for interesting day :p.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/MATNES/SDMA%20hillclimbs/th_25922bac.jpg (http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/MATNES/SDMA%20hillclimbs/?action=view&current=25922bac.flv)

this is were the honda might play, the SDMA hillclimb

MATT

SiReal
13-01-2009, 01:43 PM
i am so very impressed :thumbsup:

goes to show you dont need to spend mega amounts to enjoy a car.

FastFwd
13-01-2009, 01:43 PM
where do you get these cars so cheap?

MATNES motorsports
13-01-2009, 01:59 PM
it just goes to show you don't need all that "stuff" to go race, any car will do

and it's just luck with the cars
that lancer for example, bumped into a mate at a servo and he asked if i wanted it, i just had to be there that day, loaded it up took it home, new oil and fuel, in 6 years the only thing i "had" to buy was a fuel pump.

and the Honda was posted up within 5 mins it had 10 buyers, i was lucky to be the first to reply:wave: but it needs a engine so it's not going to be that cheap but it's a great place to start

cars like this are every were, you just have to be lucky.

MATT

night_wolf
13-01-2009, 05:01 PM
well a engine swap isnt cheap matt! all that torque has a down side, unless the car is reenforced your chasis is taking alot of pounding. your brakes needs upgrading, suspension, and the usual range of reenforcments, tie bars/struts/roll cage<<<<<<<<<maybe depending on how the body holds up without one.

and yes many cars in oz have engine swaps alot of N/A honda nutts are the ones with em then you get toyotas as well and a range of other cars but thats a different story.

MATNES motorsports
13-01-2009, 05:29 PM
it maybe strange to you night wolf but i have modded many cars in my time. please understand that i am only new to Honda's not modified cars.

look carefully at the pics and you will see parts of a 6 point cage with extra rear braceing and side bars. and it has a front strut brace, when i strip it down it will be seem welded as well.

the biggest problem you overlooked is the torque steer factor of to much power, remember this thing has a masive 71hp from 1800cc, my colt has 73 from 1100cc, the lancer had 120hp from 1600cc

MATT

SHOGUNOVDDRK
13-01-2009, 09:29 PM
how much work to put the B engine in

Matt, IMO its going to cost you ALOT of money to do it (from a workshop) and ALOT of MONEY AND TIME to do it at home.

Stick to something a little more closer to the build age of the car (will be a tiny bit easier to work with then?) and work on that (may or may not be more adaptable then aswell)

if i keep it with the normal motor it can run as a Classic or put "any" honda engine in and go AMSAG.

they have an aggressive look(IMO) and would look good lowered with big wheels to fill the guards better.

cheers
MATT

Seeing as you have a weber for the car already and bits and pieces for it IMO it would be a good idea just to restore the engine, even if you make minimal gains it should be alot more fun (+ It can run as a classic if OEM engine *rubs hands together with a evil grin*)

Also i believe these were 4x120?

May need to convert to 4x100 to make life a little easier :)

i am looking for the cheapest way, @ $4000+ i could rebuild the stock motor with a balance/head work/cam and full efi !!! and then still have change

it came with extractors cam and a webber not fitted.........

4000 IMO would go great on a Engine rebuild+fitting the bits and pieces above :thumbsup:

Or as Lukey said (excuse my play here)

restore it to its original state

:p

MATNES motorsports
31-01-2009, 10:11 PM
well after much thought i have decided to part the car out :eek:.
if any one needs anything send us a PM.

it has a little to much rust for my liking and the more i pull it apart the worse it gets.

the after market cam, head extractors and cage are already sold.

it will be gone in the next 2 weeks so don't dilly dally or you will miss out.
there are 8 matching wheels 4 have black paint 4 natural and 2 spider web looking, some even have good tyres.

cheap cheap cheap prices start at $5, wheels start at $10 each, or make an offer on the whole lot. pick up ACT only

MATT

SHOGUNOVDDRK
31-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Webers my way please :)

Please message me a price mate :) and pics when possible

p.s what you are doing is against the rules (just some FYI incase these posts are deleted)

MATNES motorsports
01-02-2009, 08:23 AM
well can some one give me some PQ points sorry mods i have never had this on a forum before.

webber needs a good clean and kit through it, the auto choke is missing a little bit $5

pic's later today,

MATT